Save Orleans Riverside from Development

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Save Orleans Riverside from Development.

2014-07-08 15:36

This beautiful area of Twickenham has been a favourite place to take my grandchildren when I visit them. I love to photograph along that bucolic stretch of the Thames, in winter and summer. To be able to walk along the unspoilt river side there is like a little piece of the countryside in London. Please do not let this development happen in this special area. Apart from loosing the beauty of the place if this plan goes ahead there is no access for extra visitors to this area.

2014-07-08 16:06

Lord True has again announced an over-ambitious plan without any regard at all for the traffic considerations.

A visitor attraction without car parking or any viable access by motor vehicles? How does that work?

Without visitors, where would the money come from to maintain it?

2014-07-08 16:20

Please leave this park alone - it is a beautiful spot and would be ruined by a massive random boathouse. And once one building goes there, who knows what will follow...

2014-07-08 19:07

Just crazy thinking. Tell them to put down their spreadsheet and step back from the laptop.

2014-07-08 22:40

Can I suggest the Young Mariners Site - already has access to the river - and would strengthen its profile - which would help the youngsters learning to sail, canoe etc.

2014-07-09 17:15

This development should be sympathetic to the existing area and not go ahead without the whole-hearted support of the local community.

2014-07-09 19:23

I was born and grew up in St Margarets in the 1950's and 60's- the riverside area and the playground are such special and beautiful areas which haven't changed over the years. I return there frequently and they are so beautiful and so well used by people from the local surrounding areas. It is such a ludicrously inappropriate location for a building such as is proposed.

If it has to be built, it needs to be somewhere in a large open accessible site - not desecrating a beautiful green, tucked away riverside area.

This post has been removed by its writer (Show details)

2014-07-10 06:54

White Raven

2014-07-10 06:56

Englands Green and pleasant land is not there to put cash in your hand .....

2014-07-10 19:38

Why not house the Gloriana in more Central Twickenham near the Jubilee Gardens? Much better in terms of accessibility, offering support to struggling local shops & businesses. There is no reason at all for it to be in Orleans Park - such a lovely tranquil area much loved by locals. It would be an absolute travesty to destroy one of the few remaining genuinely peaceful natural parts of London.

2014-07-10 20:31

Some of the time the Council refer to its consultation but the actual document is called a survey in which it is difficult to register one's opposition using the radio buttons. The question is how will the analysis of the survey report back on the actual text comment sections as well as the radio buttons?

2014-07-11 08:34

if the council want gloriana to be visible this is not the right place for it.
if gloriana stays in the borough somewhere (i hope not) nobody has mentioned any ongoing costs, this is apart from the 3 million (+?) for the initial building.
As yet no formal plans have been seen, so how can anybody , the councillors and officials or residents come to a proper conclusions.
The fact that this all came about because it "slipped out" is deeply worrying.

2014-07-11 10:02

I object to the use of taxpayers' money for this purpose. If the Queen wants a house for her boat she should pay for it from her already huge allowance, and house it on the huge swathes of land she owns.

2014-07-11 11:54

This is appalling. Look at the footage of the Council meeting to see Lord True at his most patronising. He forgives us for out ingratitude-he has decided to build on the site and as far as he is concerned, that's that. I love the resident (about 45 minutes in) who confronted him directly about his behavior in all this.(Its on the Council website or there's a link on Twickerati.)
No councillor, certainly not True, will give an idea of what sort of dissent will be taken as sufficient grounds to not build.

2014-07-11 12:06

This is the second iniative that Lord True has pushed forward recently that has not taken into account the concerns of the local residents. The removal of the A316 Bridge and now this. Does he not have children? Does he not understand the demographics of the area? He is ignoring the needs of the local people. It is a disgrace.

2014-07-11 12:35

Leave the park & play area, does anyone even want this stupid dry dock?

2014-07-11 17:57

Marble Hill Park and the Orleans Riverside playground and river area are one of very few traditional unspoilt family parks and areas left. It is a lovely environment for children, dog walkers, runners, walkers, cyclists - we do not need the Gloriana and all the extra visitors and cars. I travel from Teddington three times a week to walk and exercise there - it s a wonderful old fashioned park and riverside area - unspoilt until now. PLEASE LEAVE MARBLE HILL AND ORLEANS PARK ALONE

2014-07-11 18:40

Go to the Richmond and Twickenham Times' article on this and take the survey. It is one of the most biased things I have seen, asking about arrangements over the proposed plans rather that whether or not people want it. In Lord True's mind, no amount of dissent will stop this plan from going ahead- so we are going to have to stop him ourselves.
The point of a council is to represent the people's views. So far, all I have seen is Lord True's views being represented. Enough is enough.

2014-07-12 07:56

I don't want building on this site, however imaginatively presented.

This seems to be a vanity project. Lord True building a hangar for his mate's boat on our (not his) land and at our (not his) expense.
RichmondResident

#95 What's all the fuss?

2014-07-12 18:03

Why all the negativity? Seems quite a good idea to me. That part of the river is not that great, and why shouldn't Richmond have the barge? Having said that, I do like the idea of using the Thames Young Mariners spot, or the open area by Marble Hill House perhaps, but on the whole, can't we put in more constructive comments about where it might be placed, rather than just yelling, 'We don't want it - get it out of here'?

#96 Re: What's all the fuss?

2014-07-12 18:48

Negativity, for all the reasons outlined above. The spin, the fibbing the underhand and patronising behavior.I'm sorry you don't think the meadow and playground aren't "that great"To misquote Basil Fawlty, what would you expect from a pretty riverside meadow-flocks of flamingoes? Rapids??

We are yelling we don't want the developmenta huge build on a meadow protected in law . We don't want creative little chats about how fab it will be there. If I offer to put a Tescos superstore at the bottom of your garden (there was a small greenhouse there once: I am just restoring and improving) you probably won't want to hear me tell you its time for you to look at the idea with a positive attitude, or ask you how many windows you want on it. You probably wouldn't want me to give you a consultation document with no option to refuse it. And you muight get qiote irate if I came along and started marking out the store's borders on your garden.

All of the consultations very much want to steer us all on to little quibbles about the lay out etc with the tacit assumption that the thing will be built. Its what in sales they call the "no choice, choice" Along the lines of; "Would you like to buy this double glazing with the special discount or with a free houseplant?""Would you like to build on this meadow and house my pal's boat out of your own funds with 5, or 10 ,cycle racks?"

A 5 year old isn't fooled into thinking they have had a free choice when we say "Would you like to  go to bed now or in 10 minutes?"We aren't fooled either.

Ask yourself-do you see any conditions under which True and co will just drop this on the grounds that its a terrible site for it and deeply unpopular-and turn to all those other sites which, honest, they say they considered? Nor do I. So its needs a fight.

2014-07-12 19:16

At a time when austerity cuts are biting, with the closure of libraries, day care centres for the elderly and the young, and care for the elderly in their homes it is disgusting that the council are contemplating spending over £1,000,000 for the Gloriana. The environment of Marble Hill Park will be totally destroyed along with the peace for children to play as they have always done in the park and the childrens playground.

2014-07-12 20:26

This really must not happen, the area has an Arcadian Vista protected in an Act of Parliament in 1902. A dangerous precedent would be created building industrial sized unit in an area of such beauty
Twickenham Resident

2014-07-12 21:05

Rub a dub dub
Three men and a tub
All of them live
In the House of Lords club

One builds a boat
The antique of tomorrow
But he hasn't a home for it
Much to his sorrow

One plans him a house for it
For when his boat doesn't sail