Save Orleans Riverside from Development

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Save Orleans Riverside from Development.

2014-07-24 10:28

Lord True's hideous and vainglorious plan to disfigure this unique site must be stopped. The ersatz tourist attraction Gloriana should be sited either in Quinlan Terry and Prince Charles' 'Quality Street' architecture of Richmond waterfront or somewhere else that needs the traffic of Chinese tourists, like the Isle of Dogs. Surely the Queen herself cannot approve of this despoiling of this wonderful place - if she does, then what are the royal family for? They have already decided to ruin Hampton Court with a new development. Bring on the tumbrils!

2014-07-24 13:24

A boathouse for a pretty toy boat of no historical importance at the expense of loss of tranquil green space, beautiful mature trees, millions of pounds (£1 million minimum from taxpayers)and all without majority residents' support. The Gloriana will be rented out most of every summer, so all anyone will be able to see is the empty boathouse during those months.
twickerspeg

#153 Re: Foster & Partners concept drawing on display to the public

2014-07-24 13:30

#132: - Foster & Partners concept drawing on display to the public

I spoke to Foster's rep at Orleans House drop-in session at the weekend.  She insisted that the "artist's impression" was drawn to scale.  No-one there agreed with her! It SO is not and it's SO insulting to try to fob us off with pretty pictures.  I felt sorry for her - she got quite an ear-bashing from many people.

2014-07-25 14:53

It was financed as a gift to the Queen by Lord Sterling, surely it should be accommodated by the queen in one of her many properties or returned to Lord Sterling for disposal.

2014-07-26 15:25

This is a fantastic and peaceful piece of landscape enjoyed by adults and children which should stay the way it is. I'm sure there are plenty of other areas where the replica 'Gloriana' royal barge could be housed without destroying that piece of land. There are also far more important issues to work on in the Borough than spending money on that kind of out of touch with reality project.

2014-07-27 08:26

The opportunity cost of the money that the Council proposes to spend on this project is huge at a time when services in the Borough are under such stress. The environmental cost would be massive also and this in a Borough that prides itself on its green credentials. Why should we pander to the vanity of Lord Stirling? The argument about links to the Borough's royal connections is fatuous given how little contact HRH The Queen had with Gloriana. It is a nice boat. Let it go back where it was built in Brentford.

2014-07-27 14:37

It is madness to build here - spoilling this much-loved area - when there are other sites available! I heard Brentford wants the Gloriana. That would be so much better!

2014-07-27 15:36

We used to walk our dog in Marble Hill Park almost every evening and then walk along the riverside. This area should not be damaged, it is too precious.
Sarah Bainbridge

2014-07-27 16:29

This proposal has been received negatively by a huge percentage of the local residents. I live within 5 minutes of the site and am a mum to a toddler - the potential loss of a play park and increased traffic to the area would indeed be inconvenient. However, play parks can be relocated and traffic can be managed but there is absolutely no argument to cut down ancient trees in the last unspoilt area of nature on the banks of the tidal thames. Treasuring and conserving the rare areas of natural environment in our urban lifestyles is a responsibility that our council needs to take seriously. This proposal is ludicrous - a giant shed to house a replica boat that will only live there for only a few months of the year, I'd find the plans easier to stomach if they were to build 26 affordable flats that would benefit local families. Invest the £1m in regenerating other parts of the river where human intervention has caused dilapidation and put Gloriana into one of the hundreds of boat houses that already exist up and down the thames. DONT SPOIL THIS HISTORIC CONSERVATION AREA .

2014-07-27 19:59

This is a completely inappropriate place and should be left alone. Think again and find another space.

2014-07-27 21:55

I strongly object to this despoilation of a tranquil wooded area, part of the most beautiful walk along the Thames, stretching from Twickenham Embankment to Richmond.

Peace lover

#162 Re: gloriana

2014-07-28 08:48

#39: pearl - gloriana

We don't want the Gloriana in Twickenham  - put it outside your own house Lord True

2014-07-28 13:59

Is this craft being donated to Richmond in return for the colossal expenditure it would require to house and maintain it - what is the logic behind donating taxpayers money to house the privately-owned barge. The boat house would be an obstruction in a protected 'view' of great beauty and a blot on the landscape. The park is a delightful amenity and adds to the quality of life of the children of the area. The fact that these plans have been kept under wraps for so long is deeply sinister. The public should have been consulted before any of these plans had been formulated which I am led to believe are contravening many legally binding agreements. Orleans Rd is far too narrow for the passage of traffic as it stands presently, it would be impossible for buses, coaches and even more cars to use the road and to disturb the lives of the local residents How dare they! What an impertinence. People are more important than acquisitions... It is time Lord True resigned his post and enabled us to put Richmond in a safer pair of hands.

2014-07-28 14:13

The loss of this beautiful natural space is unthinkable- please - no Gloriana at Orleans Riverside. Having seen Gloriana at first hand, I can't see that it is of relevance to the people of Twickenham and I wonder how the proposed plan will benefit local people, especially at a time when so many vital services are under threat.

2014-07-28 14:23

The cost implications for the Borough of Richmond are huge.I am totally opposed to it.

2014-07-29 07:28

the whole thing smells of deals behind closed doors, details on twickerati.

2014-07-29 11:57

We do not want this barge!!

2014-07-29 11:59

Stop this awful plan please!!

2014-07-29 12:42

Having supported campaigners in their fight to stop the Lib Dems flogging off of Twickenham Riverside, I cannot believe that Lord True has gone against everything and supports this vanity project.

As a long term resident of Twickenham I totally object to what can only be described as blatant vandalism of this tranquil area, which is supposed to be protected land.

There are plenty of other places The Gloriana boat could be houses. Just because there was once as SMALL boathouse in this area, does NOT mean that it is still suitable and it certainly is not suitable for the hideous design that is proposed.

2014-07-29 12:47

I am totally against this blatant vandalism of the most tranquil area of Twickenham.

Just because there was once a small boathouse in this area does not mean that it is still suitable and certainly not for a dry dock and hideous boathouse the size of Noah's ark.

2014-07-30 12:01

I think The Gloriana should be moored on the Thames at Windsor so that it will be on the already existing Windsor Castle tourist route.
Sonia

#172 Orleans riverside

2014-07-30 13:26

I am saddened by this total disrespect for nature, beuty, community and maintaining natural areas for the local community and it's guest. What is the real point of having a glorified boat planted in a well used area for local families, it makes no sense so in fact the planned development is senseless.

How did this decision ever get put on the table, were they bored one day and thought "can't think of what to do, come on team think of something we can do, make sure it is expensive so we can charge more council tax and an extra bonus if you can destroy something beautiful!"

SENSELESS!!!

2014-07-31 07:12

With reference to discussion on access. They will obviously open up access by Lebanon Park and Riverside. More parking and Council has control of barrier. Only a short walk from Lebanon Park end anyway. It will only need a few colourful signs.

2014-07-31 07:36

I have walked this part of the Thames on several occasions. Also sailed from Hampton Court to Richmond earlier this month. Why spoil something beautiful and so full of character? Shame on the developers.

2014-07-31 10:36

This proposal is beyond ridiculous! I use this lovely green space regularly and the thought that millions of pounds of public money could be wasted and this beautiful 'protected' area wrecked so that we can house the Queen's sodding kayak is disgraceful! Who on earth wants to come and look at this gaudy rubbish anyway? Let the Queen keep her pointless, tacky baubles in her back garden – OUR RIVERSIDE OS OFF LIMITS!!!!!!