Save Orleans Riverside from Development

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Save Orleans Riverside from Development.

2014-07-21 10:59

The people fight back, two Lords try to take a green field in a built up part of London and put their vanity project there and they expect the people to pay partly for it and probably all the upkeep

2014-07-21 11:53

My boys Leo and Toby aged 18 months and 5 years would be heartbroken to have their favourite playground destroyed. What about the children???? I am totally opposed to any development!!

2014-07-21 15:23

Please keep me updated
Henri Russo

#129 Gloriana

2014-07-21 15:25

Save Twickenham riverside.

2014-07-21 15:40

I'm a childminder and a parent who uses this beautiful park and playground on a weekly basis.
We don't want a boat! What we need is more children's facilities and free open spaces in the Borough. There is such a HUGE demand!

2014-07-21 15:42

~Please, please don't develop our beautiful riverside - it is such a peaceful and unspoilt area, we do not need the Gloriana and it's enormous boathouse to blot this natural landscape. Please respect the opinions of the tax payers and voting public and not developers.

#132 Foster & Partners concept drawing on display to the public

2014-07-21 16:45

This is grossly misleading, the bargehouse will be larger than the artist's fanciful impression; whilst several of the large trees to the left of the bargehouse in their concept drawing, will in fact be removed. We are being duped and mislead by the Council and the planners.

2014-07-21 17:49

This place is inappropriate for this proposal of building a boat house. The proposed building would cause chaos in this area. A new cafe is not necessary in this area. Orleans riverside should stay as it is.

2014-07-21 20:57

This development will ruin this beautiful local park where myself and many others have grown up and have many wonderful childhood memories. This cannot be allowed.

2014-07-21 22:32

This is an area of outstanding natural beauty and should not be compromised by development of this kind

2014-07-22 10:05

This proposal makes no sense at all. To destroy an area of natural beauty to build an industrial unit in order to house a replica wooden boat that would obscure historic views of Ham house and the river, at a ridiculous cost to the residents of Richmond and at a time when other budgets are being cut on more vital services within the borough, is utter madness. Who is ultimately going to benefit?

2014-07-22 12:47

My objection is because of the impact on an area that has an unusual tranquility about it, that a proposal with the height and also length given would have on it. Brentford is a perfectly acceptable alternative.

2014-07-22 23:07

Look at the dimensions, not the artists impressions and spin. It is the size of a hangar, of a block of flats and must be to cover the vast prop which will be in it....sometimes.And Lord True wants to force this through. Our objections are being waved away as us simple folk being stirred up, misinformed (The dimensions and location are admitted) Unable to grasp how nice a hangar will be, ungrateful...or just not really mattering. No councillor can specify how much, if any amount of protest would be considered grounds to drop this. It's obvious that the consultation is more an exercise in box ticking and they hope that we can be diverted into having little amendments made to the thing..and will feel listened to.
This must not happen to the beautiful meadow. Riverside playground, view.It is not a restoration project, the Georgian boathouse was low and barely big enough for a small rowing skiff. It is not a way to improve the cafe or playground, the money already thrown at trying to sell this could have paid for any little improvements many times over.
Lords True and Stirling can find a vast hangar elsewhere. And persuade somebody else what an honour it would be to pay for it..

2014-07-23 08:58

We want to protect this tranquil area and the vista which is protected under an 1902 Act of Parliment. Put the Gloriana in Brentford or on the opposite side of the river near the car park at Ham. Access for this proposal would not be adequate with Orleans Road being far too small for more traffic. I have valued this space as a safe place for children since I was a child and my children had the benefit too. This is not the right area for this but it could be very exciting in the right place and could be used to regenerate an area which is more in need.

2014-07-23 09:36

Perspex v Magic: When Twickenham was Twittenham, and Jonny Swift trolled down Montpelier Row, could he ever, in his nightmare imaginings, have seen the the tawdry imposition of the nouveaux loaded upon historic vistas, and the fawning of a complicit council easing the passage? Yeah, probably. Unfortunately, if this crap storyline does berth in the soft waters of Twick, salivating planners and grubbing estate agents will be among the few to benefit from this, the dullest denouement in local history.

2014-07-23 11:32

LBRuT need to listen to the people of Twickenham. Most don't want our beautiful riverside developed in this way!

2014-07-23 13:42

This is a beautiful replica boat which would best be admired when anchored in situ ie on the river itself and not in a large building. The area that is proposed is one of the most tranquil and unspoilt in the borough, where one can go to be quiet and take stock. There are few places left in the area where there is no noise from traffic and little noise from other people. It is a very special place and one that is treasured by many, both in and out of the borough. Twickenham has several wonderful places that tourists can visit, one being Strawberry Hill House, but it doesn't have many tranquil places for those who want to enjoy beauty and peace together, so beneficial for mental health. By changing this lovely area into another tourist destination is to miss the whole point of the benefits it brings to everyone that loves and uses it.

2014-07-23 14:44

This would be a desecration. Artist's/architect's impression of boathouse presented for viewing is misleading to a point of dishonesty. Anyone who does not read the text might think it looks innocuous, and wonder what all the fuss is about. Maybe that was intentional. But if they read the dimensions they might think otherwise !!
I don't suppose too many people would be heart-broken if this proposal did NOT go ahead. After all, the Gloriana could visit and moor for special occasions if people wanted it, no doubt. However, there would be a huge number of residents who would be upset and disgusted if this unspoiled corner, so much enjoyed as it is, were 'developed'. And yes, the council has better ways to spend OUR money and in my view it would be a misuse of power to press on with it knowing how much feeling there is against it.

2014-07-23 15:20

Yes the Gloriana needs a permanent home, but this is absolutely not the solution. It will ruin one of the few untouched pieces of riverside in the area and add to pressures on local traffic/parking infrastructure that struggles to cope as it is. This appears to be vanity project driven by certain Council members.

2014-07-23 16:56

A shameful misuse of a much-loved, unspoilt local area.

2014-07-23 17:00

I HAVE LIVED IN TWICKENHAM FOR 45 YEARS. my children and grandchildren have used the riverside for walking and at the playground. It is a peaceful rural spot which should not be destroyed with buildings!!

2014-07-23 20:18

This lovely and tranquil spot on the river is part of an historic and protected view. It should NOT be carved up and destroyed to build a huge shed for a modern reconstruction of a royal barge. The barge has no historic value and is essentially a glossy contraption created to celebrate the Queens Jubilee. It will be worthless in a few years time and will probably be left to rot. There are no long term plans for its storage or maintenance which would be very expensive.
Who will pay for this? It will become Lord True's "white elephant" His friends in the Gloriana group must be congratulating themselves on finding such a foolish and gullible volunteer for this.....AT OUR EXPENSE!

2014-07-24 07:41

Wrong on so many counts. Destroying a natural site, lack of access, wasting resident's tax, totally inappropriate development; this should be sited at a location which already has a reasonable tourist footfall and good transport links. Who came up with this crackpot scheme ?

2014-07-24 08:47

Why can't this structure be placed somewhere else along the river which already has some boat housing development. In such a location it would not spoil a beautiful stretch of the riverside.