Derriford Hospital Car Parking

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Derriford Hospital Car Parking.

Polly

2014-03-07 07:49

Full time staff who work 3 long days will pay exactly the same as part time staff who work the same amount of days. The daily rate is totally unfair as is the steep increase when we haven't had a pay rise for years. If we have to pay for parking it should be based on our hours and grade. Another comment stated that the public transport links were rubbish. I live 5 miles from the hospital and it takes me 15 minutes to get to work. If I use public transport I would have a 10 minute walk to the bus stop, then have to take 2 buses to get to work. An estimated journey of 1 1/4 hours. That would add 2 hours to my working day. What a joke.

2014-03-07 08:27

I work shift work and the buses don't run to suit our shifts so will have to try and find the money to pay this huge hike in parking.

2014-03-07 08:28

A lot of the general public still think that hospital staff park for free. It is time for them to be appraised of the true situation.

2014-03-07 08:33

If there are no staff - there is no hospital so no to parking increases

2014-03-07 08:36

Why do glenbourne staff and SHWB park for free???

2014-03-07 08:39

I am disheartened at this parking rise, we have had no pay rise for years, it seems to me that our employer is actively trying to discouraging us from working here, its no wonder they struggle to recruit!!!!

2014-03-07 09:00

I don't see how they expect people to afford this after freezing pay and cutting on call rates. The increase seems to have come up with the new multi storey car park, coincidence I think not. We shouldnt have to pay to come to work!!

2014-03-07 09:03

I strongly disagree with hospital staff having to pay parking charges at all

2014-03-07 09:32

This is an absolute outrage. Staff should not even pay for parking at Derriford. Vinci should never have been given the contract, all they are looking to do, is rip off the people, who they know will be there day in, day out. NHS staff are facing pay cuts and now have to deal with idiots like this ripping them off. Vinci are also looking to increase the charges to £3.30 I have heard in the not to distant future. Can you afford £480.00 a year to park in work? Bloody disgusting, get Vinci out.

2014-03-07 09:42

There is no incentive to car share anymore with no clear policy in place.

2014-03-07 09:42

I walk to work, however if I did not live close enough this increase would have a substantial impact on my quality of life. People who work hard to provide for their families and keep a roof over their head are again getting penalised for working. Where are the pay rises to help balance these ever increasing charges?

2014-03-07 10:18

Parking is already hard enough without making it more expensive!

2014-03-07 10:31

The poor staff are not even getting a pay rise for the most fantastic work that they all do at the hospital, and now staff are being asked to pay more for fewer parking spaces, this is disgraceful.

2014-03-07 10:39

Disgusting , I can't believe they charge staff at all and thought the original price was a disgrace this is just awful . The staff work long hours for very little pay the least their employers can do is let them have free parking !!!!

2014-03-07 11:27

Is this the "Plymouth Way" !

2014-03-07 11:27

Is this the Plymouth way?

2014-03-07 11:35

Hospital staff don't normally object to paying for parking when it's safe and secure. The proposed charges in my opinion are extortionate, a charge of 50p to £1 per day would be more appropriate and acceptable. The Trusts that I worked for had charge scales that were in keeping with pay scales and were fair. Hospital staff have enough worries in work without worrying about parking their cars.

2014-03-07 12:02

The cost should be just enough to cover costs not 'A cash Cow' A Tax on the patients & Staff

2014-03-07 12:48

I believe the rise in charges is to pay for the building of the multi storey which should have been budgeted for when the hospital was built.

Why do we have directors on large wages that cannot long term plan

2014-03-07 13:24

Increasing the daily rate in the car parks to £12 is ludicrous. Making patients and their visitors pay this amount to park, or advising them to take the bus, when they're at their most stressed, vulnerable and frail is a great lesson in how to kick someone when they're down. Making blue badge holders pay would make Scrooge blush.

As a car user, I think it's short-sighted to assume that staff and patients should use a bus service when all 3 of the main providers in the city are facing route cuts and a crumbling fleet. I fail to see how any of these, as they pour out fumes over the level 6 bus stops, are better for the environment or personal wellbeing than a modern low emission car.

And to the idea that everyone should cycle in to work, I'd ask the people in charge to look at the Mannamead flyover or the Outland Road during the evening rush hour to see how safe and how well-liked our cyclists are.

Stop penalising the only safe, reliable, comfortable way of getting to work for those working far harder than you are in much worthier jobs.

2014-03-07 14:28

Read the excellent letter from "the Times" then published as the pick of the week's correspondence in "the Week" of 22 February 2014.

"NHS trusts regard parking as a valuable revenue generator. The cynical use of intermediary agents [Vinci] thinly dissociates them [trusts] from the unpleasant machinery of this process. Daily testimony confirms that the situation is far worse for patients and their families, many of whom have disabilities or cancer or circumstances that make public transport unfeasible. The reality is that such families are targeted at the most vulnerable times in their lives.
The situation will not change while NHS corporate well-being is regarded as more important than that of the patients and staff that care for them."

2014-03-07 14:30

Staff should not have to pay to park

2014-03-07 15:38

I am very concerned about the increasing cost of coming to work but I am equally worried about the amount of time added to my day by the arrangements made for staff parking - off site means an hour a day travelling to and from the car park. We are worked hard enough already.

2014-03-07 16:28

I think increasing car parking is a strange way to show your staff (your largest asset) that your valued I wish you the trust would have a rethink but strongly think it's highly unlikely , dissappointing !!

2014-03-07 16:29

disgusting but typical