Derriford Hospital Car Parking

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Derriford Hospital Car Parking.

2014-03-06 14:50

It seems inconceivable to me that the Trust can allow a rise of over 100% on parking charges when in real terms most workers have seen a reduction in wages. Why are NHS parking charges different all over the UK (free in Wales). This isn't just down to which sub-contractors run the car parks as they seem to charge whatever they can get away at different sites. It's about time the government stamped on this practice and at least capped rises to inflation.

2014-03-06 15:02

Derriford Hospital is one of the biggest employers in the city and it's incredible to think that they consider it's ok to stress out their employees by increasing parking charges - aren't their jobs hard enough without the extra worry of wondering how they are going to afford to come to work??

2014-03-06 16:05

We pay enough now as well as paying to be a nurse, we already for for parking at weekends and nights when the car parks are hardly used if your going to hike up the car park prices you should also hike up our pay packet to pay for it!!

2014-03-06 16:28

How can charges on banding be justified? An employee at the top end of one band earns more than someone on the bottom end of the next band up. If we have to pay it should be fair for everyone. After all everyone uses the same facilities however much they are paid. Surely you can't have a band 3 paying a higher fee to park next to a Band 1 on the lower charge in the same parking area!!

2014-03-06 17:02

These charges are set and looked at by staff who earn significantly above the average wage in the trust which is why it is not seen as a big deal! Excellent cause to fight!

2014-03-06 17:20

I think it's disgusting that staff should pay in the first place let alone double the fee.. And when you consider the VERY poor condition of the staff car park and lack of lighting and it being very unnerving unmanned and unsafe for all that use it at night, it begs the question what is this extra cost going towards other than a monopolising exploitive profit exercise. As it's clearly not being spent to fix improve and maintain the facilities that the money should be intended for. It's an insult to the already largely overworked and underpaid and undervalued NHS work force we will all need at some point in our lives..

2014-03-06 17:33

Staff are already facing pay cuts and this seems an astronomical increase in charges. Considering the hours we work (late evenings and night shifts) and the service we provide is for the public I believe parking should be minimal.

2014-03-06 17:34

If the charges went into a kitty for the hospitals benefits people would mind less. This is just plain greedy, a sign of corporate greed, its really disgusting.
Kass_upset

2014-03-06 17:47

I have now resorted to buying a motorbike as the costs of travel to and from and parking charges mean that I can no longer run my car. I hope that nothing happens to me following a night or twelve hr shift.. If it does.. those that impose these charges are at fault!

2014-03-06 17:51

I do not think staff should have to pay at all. !!!!!!

2014-03-06 17:57

Only 1% possible pay rise if it goes through yet they think its reasonable to impose 105% increase for parking. Its wrong!!!!!!

2014-03-06 18:09

I think travelling expenses are high enough without having to pay extra for parking. Some of us have to bring cars due to public transport limitations.

2014-03-06 18:19

I would stuggle to pay extra car parking charges as I already pay a bridge toll daily the increase would mean £60 monthly before putting petrol in the car I am unable to use public transport as it doesn't fit with my shifts and also oncalls. I think it is an insult to expect hard working staff to "dig deeper" when we have done without pay rises and nursing registration costs have increased massively. For me personally it is not worth me travelling to work on so many days. I would look at leaving the trust or reducing hours atfer 26 years of service.

2014-03-06 18:53

They wonder why staff morale is so low!?!?

2014-03-06 19:17

It is wrong to expect us to pay so much to goto work? we are paying out for so much these days, childcare, car parking at work!!! maybe it would be better for everyone not to work and live off the government, they get so much, with very little incentive to get up and go to work! yet the people who work hard, are getting penalised...keeping the car parking at £1.20 is manageable and tolerable but increasing it to £2.50 would ludicrous.
Undervalued in Plymouth

2014-03-06 19:17

It's bad enough that the Agenda for Change procedure failed to give us equal pay to those employed with the same job desciptions as those working in other hospitals in the peninsula - on average 1 pay band below, now we're all being charged at least double, if not 3 or 4 times more for parking at work than those same colleagues!
Please will someone take down the grossly hypocritical sign at the front of the hospital about this Trust valueing their staff.......

2014-03-06 19:18

The problem is, that they don't care how low staff moral is, as we are not valued!!!!

2014-03-06 19:34

Under paid, under appreciated and penalised. Sounds like a brilliant system.

2014-03-06 19:40

This is a disgrace, I have worked for NHS for 24yrs,had my on-call payments dropped by 2.0000 year and no pay rises for last 3yrs......My pay getting less and less. The only way they can claw back money is from the hard working NHS staff.

2014-03-06 20:12

Parking increase is outrageous, what other company charges staff to park at their place of work... Especially a hospital... Come on...

2014-03-06 20:28

Staff parking should be free, the job is hard enough and can be unpleasant---IT'S NOT FAIR!!!! to penalise staff who do not get pay rises to compensate.

2014-03-06 20:30

When Vinci toke over parking they said there would be no price increase for 5 years. And over 100% increase is hideous and put a bad vibe amongst staff when staff are under enough stress as it is.

2014-03-06 20:39

I think its disgusting charging that amount of money especially to the staff who do a absolutely brilliant job helping people and saving lives. Respect needs to be shown to those in the medical profession just like we do to the service men and women.

2014-03-06 20:46

My pay is poor as it is !

#50 Poor Management

2014-03-06 20:53

This reflects on poor management by Derriford Hospital's Chief Executive team. This shows a total lack of consideration to the many poorly paid members of staff, those that are well paid work long, demanding shifts and antisocial hours, many leave the premises in the early hours leaving them vulnerable. A large number of staff travel in from rural areas where there is no access to public transport. You would think a hospital would have management that understand and care for their staff.