Derriford Hospital Car Parking

/ #95

2014-03-07 13:24

Increasing the daily rate in the car parks to £12 is ludicrous. Making patients and their visitors pay this amount to park, or advising them to take the bus, when they're at their most stressed, vulnerable and frail is a great lesson in how to kick someone when they're down. Making blue badge holders pay would make Scrooge blush.

As a car user, I think it's short-sighted to assume that staff and patients should use a bus service when all 3 of the main providers in the city are facing route cuts and a crumbling fleet. I fail to see how any of these, as they pour out fumes over the level 6 bus stops, are better for the environment or personal wellbeing than a modern low emission car.

And to the idea that everyone should cycle in to work, I'd ask the people in charge to look at the Mannamead flyover or the Outland Road during the evening rush hour to see how safe and how well-liked our cyclists are.

Stop penalising the only safe, reliable, comfortable way of getting to work for those working far harder than you are in much worthier jobs.