Save Ewell Playing Fields

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Save Ewell Playing Fields.

2014-04-18 09:00

Why are we still building on playing fields?
Haven’t we learnt anything?

2014-04-18 09:55

The fields where my family learned to play football, cricket and so on. Where they shared family times and learnt life skills of teamwork and support.

2014-04-18 10:17

London/Greater London has lost over a 1000 sports fields in the last twenty years. This loss leads to overuse of the pitches that remain and to poor facilities. The loss of pitches and then teams and participation in sport in general flies in the face of current government policy to encourage a healthy lifestyle
that will ultimately lead to a lesser strain on the NHS. There is also a social responsibility to facilitate the needs of young people in general to encourage their activity in team sports that lead to lifetime friendships and a positive use of free time. Mark Coleman UEFA License Coach, Former Community coach for Wimbledon FC. Civil Service FC current player/coach.

2014-04-18 10:37

Chair of Governors at St Clements Roman Catholic Primary School.
This would be an enormous loss to the children at the school and the threat of more congestion in Old School Lane and the safety of our pupils.

2014-04-18 15:13

I help with football training for st. Clements Roman Catholic primary school with my mum Karen Davies, this provides an opportunity for the students of the school to engage in sport and play as a team. I work with children in years 5 and 6 and they enjoy the training very much, they also gain fundamental skills from doing it and over the 6 months I have been involved, there has been real improvements in the children, both in their attitude and overall ability. These fields are the only available space for this activity so taking away this privilege will affect these children very much.

This post has been removed by the site administrator (Show details)

2014-04-18 15:19

2014-04-18 16:56

It would be such a great shame to see such a well valued community space removed. My family and I have shared great memories here over 20 odd years.

2014-04-18 17:48

Really?? As if the village and School Land could cope with even more traffic?!

2014-04-19 00:37

Many of my happiest school memories are of playing House and Interscholastic games on the playing fields of Ewell. I would like future generations to have the same opportunity.

2014-04-19 16:04

Love the pitches, love the people - save the grass roots game

This post has been removed by the site administrator (Show details)

2014-04-19 19:39

2014-04-20 08:10

Society cannot afford to lose valuable playing fields such as these

2014-04-20 08:43

There is a typical example of developers using land for their convenience instead of developing in an area for maximum profit and minimum investment. The nearby road (no resurfacing for 17 years!) are clogged with school and work traffic. The local infrastructure cannot cope already including the local doctor's surgeries> the trafiic often comes to a halt when cars queueing for the surguries cannot find a place to park! This development will bring at least 60 new elderly patients to this already over-populated area, which will not improve the surguries waiting lists either. The access road (OLD SCHOOLS Lane) is too small for present use, and is often blocked by parked cars due to insufficient parking in the area. I fail to see how emergency services will be able to get through in time, with a high risk of loss of life in the event of a fire/medical emergency due to the aforesaid traffic in the surrounding roads. The playing fields provide an excellent area for children and adults to play sport, however quite noisily at times. Hardly a place for nearby old people's homes as some og these football pitches will remain. The shops some distance away for an elderly person to walk. Where will their visiting families park ? What will be the effect on the local environment with added use of water, sewerage, gas, electricity and more cars! This is an irretrievable loss of a valuable open space! Stop this nonsense NOW!

#89 Old Salesians Playing Fields Ewell

2014-04-20 09:55

Having been a member of OSFC/OSSC since 1982 I know, first hand, what a great facility the playing fields in Old Schools Lane offer. Having been a Director/Ground Manager of OSPF(E) since 1st September 2011, I have been involved with the day to day running of the ground and liaising with its users to help ensure everything runs to their satisfaction. I know that Ewell Castle School, St. Clements Primary School, St. John Bosco College, Old Salesians Football/Social Clubs and Worcester Park Cricket Club appreciate this unique, safe and secure environment that allows them to pursue their chosen sports.

To try and develop this ground after 83 years of constant sporting use would be a sin given the local area has no other playing fields of this calibre available. Additionally, the impact of any "build" on this ground would cause great upheaval to the local residents and wildlife. Where do all the current users go? Epsom & Ewell Borough Council cannot sanction this proposed development in any way, shape or form as this site is a designated Strategic Open Space and Community Asset!

2014-04-20 14:03

I've been playing at Ewell West for about a year and the facilities they've got is great to use and most other facilities around London don't match the standards as Ewell West. I

2014-04-20 14:03

I've been playing at Ewell West for about a year and the facilities they've got is great to use and most other facilities around London don't match the standards as Ewell West.

2014-04-20 14:10

It is imperative for the sake of the local community culture and heritage to retain Salesians right to play football at the ground that is there home for over 80 years. It has become all too easy to forget the long term value to a community and it's long term health a football club with the pre-eminence of Old Salesians brings.

Thank you

#93 Old Salesians Sports Field

2014-04-20 17:58

I would like to wish Old Salesians well with their fight with the Council over the building development on the football pitches at Old Schools Lane. Some thirty years ago my Club was faced with a similar problem. Following the closure of our school the pitches were earmarked for development by Surrey CC. My club, a local youth club and local residents formed an action group that fought the plans and this eventually resulted in a public enquiry with the Secretary of State ruling that the playing fields should remain for the benefit of the local community. So guys stick in there fighting as it can be done.

2014-04-20 19:10

We need our green areas for enjoyment for all.

2014-04-21 07:57

It seems that a lot of these playing fields are being sold off by local authorities to raise monies for their own gain, no thought for the local community

2014-04-21 09:01

An absolute joke that the council are considering an old peoples home on playing fields. Surely the priority should be the youth and their future.

2014-04-21 09:38

A worthy cause, please support

2014-04-21 11:34

Seems to me that potentially a number of AFA Clubs could be in same boat so cannot AFA, FA, Sport England, etc. take this to the Government?

2014-04-21 11:46

Good luck to Old Salesians! We may be in the same boat soon if the government get their way to build more houses on our ground!

2014-04-21 15:02

As well as increased traffic in the area there would probably be the demand for floodlighting to service the hockey club. The loss of current facilities to present users - two schools and adult football and cricket clubs - would be detrimental to the organisations concerned. Replacement facilities indicated in the planning application would be inferior to what is currently available - the loss of three football pitches and a cricket square (which could not be properly replicated if the development proceeds).