New jail proposed for Milton of Leys in Inverness

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition New jail proposed for Milton of Leys in Inverness.

Unsurprising nimbyism

2016-03-30 09:00

I am appalled, but not surprised at the nimbyism on these comments.  I can understand people's fears about such a facility being built, however the unfounded panic over this building is quite scary.  Are there concerns about the current prison being housed in one of the most affluent areas in Inverness, which also has a primary school very close by? No...

I am particularly horrified by the disgust with which a large number of commenters seem to treat potential visitors to the prison.  Are we to treat family members of those who have committed crimes as if they have comitted the crime themselves.  I worry that this is more likely a typical case of snobbery, assuming that only poor / chavvy people could possibly commit a crime, ergo, their associated friends and family must be scum too.

Please get over yourselves, you'll never see a prisoner or their visitors, the jail will be surrounded by trees within a few years and be near invisible.  It will not affect your daily lives,  safety,  or property price in any way shape or form...

#27 Re:

2016-03-30 09:04

#17: -  

How often do prisoners escape in Inverness? Let's start being real here! 

Anonymous

2016-03-30 09:13

I visit the beautiful city of Inverness regularly and it is on of Scotland's most beautiful cities with a stunning view when driving in from any of the approach roads. Whoever was or is on the board or committee who have put this proposal forward to put a prison in a family centred area need to look at their decision making. Would they have made the same decision if they lived there or had FAMILIES living in this area. I have very good friends with a young family living there and I share their concerns.

#29 Re:

2016-03-30 09:14

#25: Ugh. -  

I hardly find this a snobbish objection! The majority of people living in Milton of Leys have paid very good money to live in such a nice area and have a their children go to one of the best schools in the city.  If the prison is built it will likely slash house prices in half.  Also given that it is palnned to be so close to a school it is an absolute joke to build a prison that will be housing peodophiles and sex offenders in an area with the largest number of primary children! It is not snobbish to object to it being build it is a matter of safety for their children so grow up and actually think about it before you make a snap judgement and calling people snobs! 

2016-03-30 09:20

I own property in the area. We need safe residential areas where we can raise our future generations like we were raised ourselves in Inverness.

2016-03-30 09:23

Absolutely not the right place for a prison. In a built up area with school & houses.

2016-03-30 09:32

I have friends who live in the area.

2016-03-30 09:38

What a bad idea, the first thing you see as you descend the hill into Inverness Ben Wyvis in the foreground and a massive prison on the left. It's a nice residential area where amenities were promised for years but never provided, I guess they think a prison counts as amenities for the residents
Typical nimbyism

#34 Re: Re:

2016-03-30 09:48

#29: - Re:  

Your description of the Milton of Leys area is exactly the same as the Crown, a good area with affluent house prices and one of the best primary Schools in the city.

Have the house prices surrounding the current prison been adversely affected? In short, no.  

Your further argument of sex offenders being housed there is at best moot, and at worst a gross inaccuracy that attempts to inflame the situation using sensationalism.   What danger does any convict pose when incarcerated?

2016-03-30 10:05

I live in Milton of leys

2016-03-30 10:49

There are plenty of open spaces to place a jail that are not in the middle of housing estates and right near to primary schools. This area is an incredibly poor choice for a prison. The wider community needs to be considered and a sensible decision should be made.

2016-03-30 11:29

Madness. In a community and next to schools. Logic?

#38 Prison

2016-03-30 11:35

A lot of people having been saying that the prison in Crown does not cause any problems but people who live in Crown knew the prison was there when they choose to move to the area as it has been there a very long time. However the people in Milton of Leys have been lied to as they have been sold this area as being a quiet, family residential area of the city when in fact Tulloch's have gone and sold land to Scottish Prison services knowing it will become home to a prison.   I wouldn't have chosen to buy a house in Crown as I don't want to live next to a prison so why should I be forced to put up with one next to my house in Milton of Leys?

2016-03-30 11:51

Have friends that live in the area, don't like the thought whatsoever of a jail being built near or next to such a pleasant community!

2016-03-30 12:17

Not a good place, surely having all resources next to each other ie police station, jail, court and the prison will save time and money and ultimately the risk of transport problems is taken out of the equation altogether. The old college is the best and most sensible place to put it.

2016-03-30 12:24

I don't want to see a prison built near a school or housing estate.

2016-03-30 12:41

I have family that stay in Milton of leys and supporting them in this petotion

2016-03-30 12:55

I feel for the young couples who have saved and spent a lot of money to settle in a part of Inverness so they can bring up their families in a "safe" environment. Milton of Leys has a thriving school, shops and ideal for young families. Has the powers to be stopped for one moment to think what building a prison would mean to this community? NO! I am sorry but I wouldn't bring up my children in such close vicinity to a prison. This isn't about snobbery - this is about having to work hard to be able to afford a lovely home for their children - don't do this to them. Maybe they should just sponge off society because they would be treated fairer.

2016-03-30 14:36

Building a prison so close to the A9 is such a ludicrous idea. The council have only recently come to their senses about how detrimental to the town it is to have the court within the castle, so surely they will see how bad this is for the image of Inverness. Then there's the problem of the proximity to the school. Unbelievably short sighted if they think there are no issues with this.
It's very easy to say "The current prison is in a good area of Inverness, so where's the issue?", but was that the case when it was built and the rest of the town was then built up around it. Probably not. The value of that area, both financially and socially, has been built with the prison in place. That is not the case for Milton of Leys. Without the prison, would some of the houses, Argyll street etc. be worth more? I'm sure we will find out soon enough. Currently, it's very close to the town centre, with a several ways in which people can access/egress. Milton of leys has 2, if your driving, and 1, if you're not. That means almost everyone who comes and goes from there will be passing a large primary school with an open view of its playground. Again, the council must see that this is bad for the image of Inverness and the safety of a large residential area.

This post has been removed by its writer (Show details)

2016-03-30 15:15

notasnobs

#46 Re:

2016-03-30 15:27

#25: Ugh. -  

U don't heard ppl in crown whinn is cos the prison is alrdy excist..building in leys when posh ppl alrdy there first then elrect a plan to build something ppl don't like is not good..

Maybe spell check next time before you post.....

#47 Re: idoit

2016-03-30 15:30

#48 Re: Prison

2016-03-30 15:35

#38: - Prison 

Move then.....

2016-03-30 15:47

Because a new housing development is not the place for a Prison. Also, it would be the first thing tourists see driving into the capital of the the Highlands. It does not look good

2016-03-30 16:03

Ludicrous idea please don't let this go ahead or I'm sure many people will sell up and move on!