New jail proposed for Milton of Leys in Inverness

Quoted post

Unsurprising nimbyism

2016-03-30 09:00

I am appalled, but not surprised at the nimbyism on these comments.  I can understand people's fears about such a facility being built, however the unfounded panic over this building is quite scary.  Are there concerns about the current prison being housed in one of the most affluent areas in Inverness, which also has a primary school very close by? No...

I am particularly horrified by the disgust with which a large number of commenters seem to treat potential visitors to the prison.  Are we to treat family members of those who have committed crimes as if they have comitted the crime themselves.  I worry that this is more likely a typical case of snobbery, assuming that only poor / chavvy people could possibly commit a crime, ergo, their associated friends and family must be scum too.

Please get over yourselves, you'll never see a prisoner or their visitors, the jail will be surrounded by trees within a few years and be near invisible.  It will not affect your daily lives,  safety,  or property price in any way shape or form...

Replies

bowie

#69 Re:

2016-04-01 17:50:22

#26: Unsurprising nimbyism -  

why build in green open land when there is the old college on harbour road , which is right next to police station and you could put the court house there to saving money or what about Craig dunnain its been lying empty for years and is a massive building , I think pieces of land are already owned by the highland council and need re-developed.

VM

#75 Re:

2016-04-02 18:28:38

What an arrogant reply, I see only a few have made comment regards visitors to a prison. Both the times and independent in recent years have reported house prices are effected by prisons in the immediate area,so this would be a real concern for those impacted.

Making the argument into the need for a prison and about social class is emotive and childish on both sides. 

Its the process of agreeing the space and the impact on the immediate area that residents have invested in and continue to do so is the concern 

factual information is what's important Not sweeping statements as in the closing patagraph of the above.

#89 Re:

2016-04-04 17:35:15

I work on the Crown and I speak to people who live there every day.  From conversations I have had over the past week I can assure you the locals will be glad to no longer have a prison on their doorstep.  Personally I see at least 2 prisoner security vans each day.  I always feel uneasy as they can see out but I cant see in.