New jail proposed for Milton of Leys in Inverness

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition New jail proposed for Milton of Leys in Inverness.

2016-03-29 15:24

Ridiculous suggestion!!!

2016-03-29 22:11

Because I live in the area and do not want a prison next to my children's primary school.
Dell

2016-03-29 22:59

Why so close to housing? It's not like we are short of wide open spaces miles from any housing or schools in the north of Scotland! Crazy fools

bill

#4 idoit

2016-03-29 23:27

Wast time and human resources to design this crap at near a nice area...prenty land and space outside the area...

Milton of ley is a nice area don't ruin it plz

#5 Such a bad Idea

2016-03-30 04:50

After spending an absolute fortune on a new house to move to a well respected area and a good school for my children I am.absaloutly disgusted at the thought of them building a prison near by .. and very close to the school .. I understand there.locked inside etc but this will just. Bring a lot of trouble to and from it all around .. ie buses .. The local shops ... There is plenty of places around this area I just don't think this is the right place for a.prison!

2016-03-30 05:57

There must be other much more suitable places to build a prison than next to a school and residential area.

2016-03-30 06:04

One of the largest residential areas in Inverness does not require a prison. It would be the first building you would see driving down Drumossie brae, don't ruin the pretty view. Unsafe to be near so many families.

2016-03-30 06:04

This is not what the public want and it's time we are listened to.

2016-03-30 06:13

Milton of Leys is a family residential area. It isn't an area to put a prison.

2016-03-30 06:21

Is there not space in the longman industrial estate away from any residential area?! 

2016-03-30 06:32

A jail has to be built somewhere, you are always going to get resistance from whoever lives near to it, that's just life I suppose. The current jail is in the crown, nice area, property values are good, it causes no issues. So the argument about it not being build near Milton of leys because it is "nice" and "well respected" is not a strong one. They are moving the court down beside the police station at Burnett road, building the jail on the site of the old college would make sense, right beside the court and police station, could be linked to the court so prisoners don't have to be transported and run the risk of legging it from the useless G4S crew. 

2016-03-30 06:44

What a lovely welcome to all the tourists who visit this beautiful Highland Capital every year!!! Surely there must be another area that can be considered?? Reclaimed land at the Longman or next to where they are planning on putting the new court house?? I agree with another comment on here about needing a stronger argument other than 'it's a nice area'. Would make far more sense to keep it all together.

2016-03-30 06:52

Ridiculous idea

2016-03-30 06:55

I don't want a prison near my home, near my children's school and to be the first thing seen from the A9 south in to Inverness, this simply CANNOT happen x
Craigie

2016-03-30 06:58

I'm pretty sure the current prison is smack bang in the middle of the most well respected and most affluent area in Invernessso all your arguments about residential area and well respected etc are flawed in that sense.

The real reason should be that there are other more sensible areas to place the prison. Right next door to the police headquarters seems a very sensible location. 

2016-03-30 07:01

It us ridiculous that they would put a prison next to a residential area. Build it in the middle of nowhere so there is no one affected by the worry of prisoners escaping or causing problems. People need to be kept safe from criminals not have them housed beside them.

2016-03-30 07:31

The biggest primary school and housing area in Inverness. having over 300 children outside playing at break times I would say having a prison near to a school poses a risk to the children not only from those inside but potential visitors from outside. Plenty other areas in Inverness more suited.

2016-03-30 07:56

Concern for the area, of which my grandchildren are growing up in.

2016-03-30 08:04

Milton of Leys is an area lots of people have purchased homes as it is a lovely area with new schools and fantastic views, this is not the area for a prison! Watch the house prices drop.

2016-03-30 08:14

I don't want a prison in the area as I have recently bought a house there

2016-03-30 08:16

Surely there must be a number of alternative sites? Milton of Leys is a hugely residential/family area, schools and parks all over the developments; not an appropriate area for a prison? I understand the argument of where is an appropriate area but surely a more rural location? Away from built up residential areas? Aside from that, one of the first things to see as you enter the city after a long drive on the A9 being a prison? Not a great advert for our city.

#22 Wrong Location

2016-03-30 08:23

Wrong location for this new prison. Milton of Leys needs recreational space first before any additional commercial land is approved. Also this will bring a lot of undesirabl visitors to a highly family populated are. Building the new prison should be in another commercial area e.g Longman or Carse? 

This prison will not be a replica of Porterfield where everything is hidden behind a big wall but more open and visible with fencing, more rehab centres etc bringing more traffic & noise so don't compare what is at the Crown at present to what this will be. This will be the start of the creation of a new industrial area in Inverness which is what should be objected to. 

This site in Milton of Leys should be zoned for tourism or recreational facilities for the locals who have little of this in Milton of Leys.

The prisoners will likely have better amenity features inside the walls than the local residents have outside it!! 

2016-03-30 08:31

I just think this is the wrong use of the land. There are so many houses now being built in this area which means that there are lots and lots of kids. There is absolutely nothing for them to do and the bus service stops at 6. Build for the residents first before building a Prison. A prison could easily be built somewhere else where it doesn't impact any residents.

2016-03-30 08:57

There are plenty of other locations away from public housing to site the new prison.
Ugh.

2016-03-30 08:58

What a bunch of snobs, you don't hear people in crown complaining about the prison? Milton of leys is filled with council tennants and people who can only afford a house with help from the goverment so deal with it.