New jail proposed for Milton of Leys in Inverness

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition New jail proposed for Milton of Leys in Inverness.

#76 Re: Re:

2016-04-02 20:12

#27: - Re:  

You've totally missed point

not about safety or the prisoners at all

2016-04-02 22:52

Council no clue, first gold covered museum now this!! What's wrong with old Inverness college site???
Scotsue

#78 Re:

2016-04-03 06:21

#11: -  

That is a great idea

2016-04-03 08:46

To Protect The Expensive Residential And Green Area.

2016-04-03 16:17

The proposed jail is too close to a large housing development. I believe it should be sited at least 2 miles from homes, schools etc

2016-04-03 19:03

It is not a good advert for inverness having tourists view a prison as they arrive in our beautiful city

2016-04-03 19:48

Who in their right mind would suggest placing a prison in an existing and expanding housing development, with school nearby and on land that had already been ear marked for other purposes in local development plan. If it wasn't so serious it would be laughable. This needs knocked on the head proto. If we need a new prison stick it away from public eye and completely out of the city.

2016-04-04 07:45

Surely in area as big as the Highlands they can find an open space not close to a built up area and community. I appreciate that getting services to a 'country' area might be difficult but surely not impossible

2016-04-04 10:24

I think it is quite ridiculous that anyone would consider this largely residential area of Inverness as a potential area for building a new prison complex

2016-04-04 10:43

I live in Milton of Leys and although I don't have any increased concerns regarding the safety of our children, house prices falling, increase of crime and so on, the fact is that this kind of facility should not be built in or near any built up area.  There is plenty of spare open space out towards the airport or along the A9 corridor heading North.  Look at HMP Aberdeen(Craiginshes) they moved to the new HMP Grampian at Peterhead which was built adjacent to the exsisting HMP Peterhead. In England they are taking their prisons out of town and into the country well away from conflicting interests.

Hopefully Highland Council see sense and kick out the planning consent from the outset , mind you with their history of making dreadful decisions I'm not holding my breath.

SJ

2016-04-04 12:50

I strongly believe this is the wrong location for such a building. Too close to beautiful homes and friendly people. Some of whom have invested all their life savings in buying a home, thinking they could bring up their children in a healthy semi rural location. People have clearly been mislead by the council regarding future development plans for the area. What an awful gateway to Inverness this would be.

2016-04-04 15:21

Just absurd to build a prison in a residential area which is close to primary schools and with extremely limited public transport.
Surely there are areas nearer to the town centre that should be explored.
Value of properties may not reach potential pricing,may put off buyers purchasing housing in the area.

2016-04-04 17:13

A prison would destroy this lovely area, it shouldn't be near a school or housing scheme. It's a beautiful area with beautiful views, where my family members live. why destroy this area.

#89 Re:

2016-04-04 17:35

#26: Unsurprising nimbyism -  

I work on the Crown and I speak to people who live there every day.  From conversations I have had over the past week I can assure you the locals will be glad to no longer have a prison on their doorstep.  Personally I see at least 2 prisoner security vans each day.  I always feel uneasy as they can see out but I cant see in.

2016-04-04 21:03

The best place to put the new prison is out at Whiteness(the old McDermotts yard) out of sight away from everyone and good access off the A96.

Concerned 1

2016-04-04 21:47

My wife and I have lived here for over a decade and we have seen a lot of change at Milton of Leys, most of it good and positive, but this proposed change is the FINAL STRAW!!! It is crazy to even think about putting a prison in this location.

We will be fighting this if it goes any further!!!

2016-04-05 07:56

My son stays there and not a good idea for a prison he has a lovely bought house a wife and two little boys he will sell up and so will there neighbours.shocking to say the least

2016-04-05 14:19

It's not exactly the first thing you'd wish to see as you drive into Inverness. Maybe a world class outdoor pursuits and motor sports centre would be better suited in raising health, wealth plus opportunity in the area.

2016-04-05 15:09

I live right at the top of Milton Of Leys and do not want a prison built near my home I share with my young children !! ... surely there is a much more suitable place.. I can't believe that a bunch of suits thought this an ideal location.. I would be interested to know where they live!!...

#95 Re:

2016-04-05 15:10

#77: -  

Perfect place !! ... away from residential areas and next to police and fire service 

2016-04-06 20:19

There is plenty of other places to put this jail, not right next to a lovely residential area & next door to a primary school

#97 Re: Re:

2016-04-06 20:26

#69: bowie - Re:  

seriously not at the old Craig Dunain either lots of lovely new houses there, my poor children will be the prisoners as i would never let them out

2016-04-07 05:44

Totally disagree with this. It will spoil an area of Inverness which has fought hard for years to build a community. It's too close to homes and will be an eyesore on the approach to Inverness.

2016-04-07 05:56

It is absolutely ridiculous, that there should be a prison built right next to a primary school. Why can the prison not be built further out of town and out of sight....

2016-04-07 14:07

The prison should be situated on a brown field site like the old Inverness College in the Longman.... not a greenfield site in the middle of the countryside next door to a new housing estate.