New jail proposed for Milton of Leys in Inverness

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition New jail proposed for Milton of Leys in Inverness.

Anonymous

#101 Need to rethink your proposal

2016-04-07 22:00

this will not be good for Inverness, the first thing you see when tourist season visiting this beautiful city will be a prison! 

Also milton of leys is an expanding housing deveopment. 

What an utter shame.

why not make use of the land available next door to and around the police station, the old college. This would make so much more sense, and no doubt save money, and the eye sore of the redundant concrete building of the old college etc...

Or even better idea as far away from the city centre as possible. Out of mind out of site!!! 

They are far to many NO NO NOs for this to go ahead

The highland council really need to sit down and rethink this. Or is it going to be another 'who cares what the public thinks' and go ahead with it regardless.

what they should really be building in Milton of leys is a new highly needed secondary school to support the growth of this beautiful city, so the future of our kids education facilities is invested in.

Inverness is one of the most beautiful and desirable places to live in this country.

2016-04-08 21:22

I don't want a prison near my home as it will de-value the area!

2016-04-09 03:17

Site utterly unsuitable for prison with schools shops and quiet community nearby

2016-04-10 00:20

This is a family area with lots of young children, it is a close community and I don't see how a prison can possibly be considered for this area. This is the first sight of Inverness that visitors see when they travel from the south - not a great first image for tourists.

2016-04-13 16:38

A prison visible on the A9's approach to Inverness and slap bang next to a large new housing development is simply a rediculous idea.

2016-04-14 09:00

Lack of consultation
Never ear marked on original site development
Perfectly good location could be used at the old Inverness College near to police station and suggested new court house. keep it altogether.

2016-04-14 09:49

Do not think proposed location is the best solution to the prison issue for many of the reasons that have been listed by others. Understand it has to go somewhere and will probably be a sensitive issue no matter where that is, but on a brown field site in a non-residential area is probably a better option. Vast majority of services and utilities would already be there.

2016-04-15 07:04

What a stupid place to build prison, it will be the first thing tourists see when coming to Inverness.

2016-04-15 18:04

I don't think there's anything wrong with the portfield. Why don't they fix roads or make more things for youths ect than waste money on criminals

2016-04-16 12:44

I feel this prison will negatively affect property prices in Milton of Leys.

2016-04-17 15:05

Having just bought a house in milton of leys, it is truly gutting to hear about this. It makes no sense at all to build a prison here. There are so many better options as others have pointed out. Also arguing that people should put up with it because the prison is already in the crown, is a useless argument, thats a long established situation, and the crowns location central in the town makes it a different prospect altogether when considering all factors. Also imagine that it wasnt their, but they decided to build one in the crown now, the local residents would not simply say ok would they, they would object. Suggestions like the old college, or even better somewhere out of town, away from community's makes more sense.

#112 Re:

2016-04-17 23:13

#25: Ugh. -  

what simple minded stupidity, it is not filled with council tennants, there are some, but it is not filled with council tennants, unless they can affor porsche's, but it has a wide mix of people. Are you a snob? as you seem to think that somewhere containing council tennants is some sort of lower class area that its fine to stick a prison in? after all, its council tennants. A mix of people who differ in wealth and education is not a bad thing, its called community, and if done properly is beneficial to everyone. However it is clear from the reaction, that the reality of placing a prison in the midst of this is not a good idea, its not just about the actual impact, that wont be fully known unless it actually happens, but the perception of it is not good, this is clear from your deal with it attitude being a drop in the ocean amongst people concerned by it, such perception is the reality that effects the future of this area, future development choices, house prices, and peoples general attitude towards it. Its not a "not in my back yard" attitude, its a "not in anyone's backyard", it just takes it to happen in your own backyard for you to see that, we are all guilty of that. You though are an idiot.

2016-04-19 20:05

Don't think it's right area for a prison to be built, ie near houses, school, etc,

#114 Compensation

2016-04-19 21:10

Should resdent affected by this proposal be entitled to compensation?

2016-04-20 18:50

To support my friends and local community

2016-04-22 21:25

This proposal is an absolute joke! I totally agree that this proposal is about a few people making a great deal of money at the expense of many, not to mention the wonderful approach to the Highland Capital being ruined for ever. I fully support the petition and hope that the politicians take note and put their Prison elsewhere.

2016-04-23 15:06

I don't think it's the right place to build a prison next to homes and schools. Who wants to live next to a prison, worrying if someone escapes. Are our children safe. Will it devalue our house? Too many worries and concerns .

2016-04-23 18:11

School so close!!! And in residential area!!

2016-04-23 21:46

Its in the wrong place

2016-04-24 10:45

It was not an identified site in the first place!
It is now a very popular area to live in and having the prison here will affect the housing market and devalue our homes.
It will be an eye sore at the very top of the hill where people are passing and will affect the woodland life and beauty of the Forrest beside it , therefore affecting tourism which is the industry that Inverness depends on!

2016-04-24 23:19

With the level of income generated from tourism in the Highlands the sight of a prison as the first building approaching from the main southern artery can hardly be viewed as promoting a welcome to the area.

#122 Re: Compensation

2016-04-25 06:40

#114: - Compensation 

i heard that ppl close to new prisons have been given cash but not for replacement ones.

2016-04-25 15:13

I THINK IT IS A DISGRACE THAT BUILDING A PRISON IN A PRIVATE RESIDENTIAL ESTATE IS EVEN BEING CONTEMPLATED AS THERE IS A PRIMARY SCHOOL NEARBY AND RESIDENTS HAVE PAID A LOT OF MONEY TO BUY THEIR HOMES IN WHAT WAS A DESIREABLE AREA WHY DON'T THEY BUILD IT ON THE SITE OF THE OLD INVERNESS COLLEGE AND FORMER BUS DEPOT WHICH IS NEXT TO THE POLICE STATION AND WOULD MAKE TRANSPORT OF PRISONERS ETC MUCH EASIER AND CHEAPER

2016-04-25 20:40

Absolutely the wrong place for a prison. First thing visitors would see on A9 rather than lovely view.

2016-04-25 20:52

Ridiculous idea to have the entry to Inverness from the south marred by a prison. And next to a large housing estate is even more ridiculous.