Parents Opposed to the proposed 1515 finish

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Parents Opposed to the proposed 1515 finish.

2014-06-30 20:05

Really happy with current time the school finishes

2014-06-30 20:55

Has I stated in my letter I don't feel that our children should reduce their outdoor breaks has this is a part of life they need to have.i also believe it is not the children who are wanting to shorten them has the letter stated they were wanting to go indoors wen too hot..I feel this is a responsibility of the school and they should be providing cool sheltered areas for such times and perhaps water fountains etc for children to get access too if needed has in some classrooms fresh cold water is not available which is unacceptable in this day and age.

2014-06-30 21:34

Firstly I oppose the change, predominantly on behalf of our child and our childminder.
Secondly I question the speed at which the school are forcing this change. It's clear that the governing body of any school has the right to propose a change to the school day, however, what is stipulated from the Government is that the school governing body should act reasonably, give notice to parents of any changes, and consider the impact of decisions on those affected by them.
I don't believe that with only several weeks before the end of the school year, and the new proposal coming into effect from September, that the school has had adequate time to consider the full impact on all of those affected. In my opinion the decision has long since been decided and subsequently forced upon us.
As far as I'm aware most of the kids don't want it, most of the childminders don't want it, some of the parents don't want it.....enough said really!

2014-07-01 06:16

I would like to know how many parents opposed this change and how many were in favour. I agree that this decision seems to have been rushed through suddenly before the end of term.

2014-07-01 06:23

Two and a half hours is a long time for anyone to concentrate, let alone a child of 4, with only a cursory break for comfort. This decision was already made, the children were told it was happening in September, before the end of the "consultation" period. Working parents will be jumping through hoops to amend their woeking hours now....

#6 Children Write In

2014-07-01 07:08

My son is in Class 4 and mortifoed at losing his last break time to play with his friends. I have suggested to him to write to the govenors himself and tell them why he is upset at losing his break.
Think letters from the children would be something the school would have to consider

2014-07-01 11:43

Parents need to have more influence in decisions that affect their children and their working lives. This decision bypassed all parents.
How is it legally possible to announce a change like this and implement it within 8 week??? Is it legal???
I am signing in support of all those parents and childminders who are affected by this.

2014-07-01 18:18

I think it is important for parents to have their say and have an opinion. However, I do think that such public criticism is unhelpful and indeed damaging. The decision to change the school day has not been taken lightly and will never suit everyone. The new rational is a good one and does fall in line with many other schools. The school seems to have considered all options and suggested solutions to many of the problems. It might be worth, at this point, reminding parents that their children are attending an outstanding school. In fact it is one of the highest performing primary schools in the country. The standards required to sustain this level cannot be underestimated and the staff and headteacher work tirelessly to give your children exceptional educational standards. All I ask is you spare a thought for them when this debate is played out in such a public way. Outstanding headteachers are not easy to come by and recruitment to headteacher posts is challenging. By all means have your say and have your opinions heard but please consider the big picture and the potential damage that can be done through public forums like this. As far as I can see due practice and procedure has been followed. A consultation has taken place, the governors have made a decision and nothing illegal has occurred. I am sure that the school and headteacher would be happy to talk through some of the problems this change seems to have thrown up but an online petition is not likely to do anything more than damage relationships and cause further problems. When you go to the school play over the next three evenings look around the room. Look at the smiling faces of the children as they grow in confidence and build self-esteem. Look also at the staff who are there supporting them and encouraging them. They are doing that in their own time, without extra pay because they are totally committed to the education of our children. I for one am grateful for that and therefore any complaint I have with the school will be addressed privately with the headteacher.

Angry guest

2014-07-01 18:43

Does school governors care? NOT!!!

2014-07-01 20:49

Teachers work short days at it is and less weeks of the year than most people so they should extend their working day not shorten it. They should reduce their salaries accordingly if they want Shorter working hours to match the proposed changes

2014-07-01 21:17

You clearly have no idea about how hard teachers work. An average working week for a teacher is about 50 hours. Most teachers work a six day week. Before making such throw away comments do some research and base your views on fact
easy life on the beach!!!

2014-07-01 22:20

Also agree about the teaching hours and how many they work. I'm sure people think kids go home, teachers are 5mins behind, if only!!! Oh and can't wait for the summer holidays, sat on the beach for 6 weeks. Only in my dreams, in school clearing the classroom. In school, preparing for the following school year. If you think teachers get it so easy, become one..... .....no didn't think so.

2014-07-02 11:11

The hard work and commitment of the school as a whole is not in question here, I think we can all agree that the hard work of teachers and teaching assistants is greatly appreciated, and yes that is why Estfeld is such a great school. But can we get back to the point please.
Why does Estfeld have to 'fall in line' with other schools which have chosen to go down this route? Each school and the requirements of those affected should be assessed individually, surely? Just because one school down the road has changed its school times doesn't necessarily mean that it will be convenient for parents and pupils at another. In my opinion the only way is to have a democratic vote, the school should send out one paper to each child household and let that family vote accordingly. The school should then make the results of that vote public. We live in a democratic society so why is this not being demonstrated here?

#14 Re:

2014-07-02 11:20

#13: -

Here here lets not lose the point.  Its not about the school, teachers, outstanding or not, its about the school closing at 1515 and nothing more nothing less.  Let's not lose this in a forum of opinions and stick with the job in hand. Its mot a witch hunt its collective voices to take to the governor's.

Think what we should be asking is.....WHY????

This post has been removed by its writer (Show details)

2014-07-02 11:21

#16 I'm guessing this is from one of the Governers that has made this very rash descision. Re:

2014-07-02 11:24

#17 Re: School finishing at 3.15pm

2014-07-02 11:25

#18 Re: Re: School finishing at 3.15pm

2014-07-02 11:50

#17: - Re: School finishing at 3.15pm Why if the school is so Outstanding are they wanting to change something that is not broke.... It is also down to a handful of parents coming in and helping out with book reading, cooking and other activities that free up the teachers to get on with teaching. I know alot of other school dont have that support from parents, I'm already hearing alot of negative reaction to the very quick public desicion to change the finishing time. At least 80% or more of the parents are working and this will affect them getting back to school or making other childcare provision for September, especially when most of the Childminder places are now full. With the increase of child obesity, isnt taking away the afternoon break more damaging to the child, not to go and have a run around. Most children I have spoken to are very upset with having this taken away from them, they feel they are being punished. I do think this is a done deal and we are wasting our

time and efforts, but a parent/carers meeting with the decision makers is a must... I will also like to say that a couple of times a week I will not be able to get to school untill 3.25, will the kids then be left to roam around the school playground untill I get there be rain or shine?

#19 Re: Re:

2014-07-02 11:55

#14: - Re:  Well said.A Few people on here getting over excited.As stated above it's about the school finishing at 15.15 and that's it nothing else.Seems that the people who are in favour for an earlier finish are the ones who don't work as there other half's do all the grafting (finish at normal time and you can continue drinking coffee,shopping etc) ,others who have child minders or grandparents to pick there kids up etc!!!The parents that work and now have to change there hours(certain jobs it's not possible) or start paying for child minders all for 15 bloody minutes.God help us all!!!!!

2014-07-02 14:26

This change to the school hours is another 'challenge' to the incredibly supportive parents and carers of Estfeld.
Re: previous comment above. Estfeld was an outstanding school at the last inspection in 2007, under Mr Atkinson. The school has not had an inspection under the current head. The results Estfeld pupils get are as much about the catchment of the school and the emotional and financial investments (Y6 maths) made by the parents and carers.
Parents and carers are being worn down by the autocratic governence of the school, and the head risks losing a great deal of goood will if she continues with her policies that punish the majority, when a minority have caused a problem.
There are other areas to investigate - votes of no confidence in the Governors or Head?

2014-07-02 15:26

Well-said!

#22 Re:

2014-07-02 18:54

#20: -

Good line of protest great idea if no agreeable conclusion is found on Tuesday at the meeting

Choose a nickname

#23 Subject

2014-07-02 20:43

Write a comment...well said 20

2014-07-02 20:44

11. I would be very happy with 50 hours a week and long holidays. Most in private work at least 60 hours
Annoyed

#25 Re:

2014-07-02 23:23

#20: -  

I totally agree with this, my eldest child attended Estfeld when Mr Atkinson was the head and it was a lovely environment, whereas my youngest who has only experienced the current head teacher is forever worrying about having the correct pe kit/hair style/packed lunch.

My point is that taking away their afternoon break is another step forward to her 'military school' style and ruining what was a lovely school, and also taking away our children's childhoods! Let them be children! I totally disagree with it. I would like to see another 'outstanding' Ofsted report under her ruling. Doubtful though!