Parents Opposed to the proposed 1515 finish

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Parents Opposed to the proposed 1515 finish.

Unbiased onlooker

#26 Re: 'Vote of no confidence' - really!?

2014-07-02 23:47

#20: -

I suggest that everyone present their concerns, in person, calmly and rationally at the upcoming meeting, where both sides can be heard.

Public debate (anonymously) of other unrelated issues beyond the immediate 15:15 issue is not helping.

A 'vote of no confidence'? Please keep a perspective!

Father of Estfeld Pupil

#27 Back on topic

2014-07-03 13:34

St Mary's have recently changed and they approached the whole change in possibly a more respectful and more of a community feel within the school bringing parents into change process. Letters were sent to all parents suggesting that a change may happen and a pre printed letter for parents to return with questions and answers and space for other comments. This was then looked at as all responses were and comments read and decisions made. I think parents felt it was a very respectful way of doing it. Parents had plenty of warning and some of the ideas suggested were used and implemented into the changes for example after school clubs. So when changes did happen it was not a shock, it was a well thought out decision where parents were involved . I think the main reason people are upset with the change at Estfeld is the way it was all mis handled . The children were told in assembly that they were losing their break before parents even went through the consultation process. This was bound to cause a reactionary response from people and it probably is not the best way to go around things in the future. Using young children in such an almost political way will cause problems like this, and I think that's what has upset people more than the actual change. I think a simple letter of apology from the school to show the parents that they have made an error , well it might just help on this occasion . If Estfeld school tells the children in an assembly they will just come out of school with different versions of what they think they might have have heard, it gets all out of proportion within the playground. Estfeld is a superb school and has lots of very strong and supportive parents , and also lots of strong and supportive governors and staff , so let's be respectful of each other in future and work together not against each other to keep the continued success of the school . />

This post has been removed by its writer (Show details)

2014-07-03 18:02

2014-07-08 16:58

No children that I am aware of wish to lose their afternoon break.

This would also cause a serious inconvenience to working parents.

2014-07-08 18:09

School meeting this evening - can anyone tell us what have the school been saying?
Theonlysensibleonehere

#31 It's 15 minutes

2014-07-08 20:03

Don't make it personal, practise what you hopefully preach to your children and offer constructive advice in a calm and thoughtful manor. Why is it everyone is so scared of change. Embrace it and take the positives!
Beyond silly

#32 Keeping it real

2014-07-08 21:20

Well said 31- what a massive fuss over 15 minutes- laughable.

2014-07-09 08:45

Wish my employers found the 15 min earlier finish laughable not unmanagable!
But at least I had my say in a letter and last nights meeting - In the correct manner and all documented!!!
A doer not a talker

#34 DECISION MADE

2014-07-09 10:31

The 1515 finish is now a definate to start in September, but the school have said that there will be after school clubs of varying types available to those who want them.

Please note if more letters opposing this finish time had been sent to the school in the consultation period then perhaps this may not have been agreed, but only 22 letters (12%) were received so it looked like not masses of parents were against it.

All that said we were only given a 10 day time frame in the consultation period to do this, but it was said at this point prior to 23/06/14 it was not a done deal. The deal was done on letters received.

It was said that this petition did not add weight as some names listed on here are not parents - now I don't have a full list of all parents but this does also impact on grandparents and child carers/minders who may have signed, so I dispute that - but that's done and dusted.

It looks like Apathy won the day, but at least some of us put our point accross to the govenors both in writing and in person at the meeting , and I think that was a good thing, and a surprise to many on the governing body.

Please remember in future issues we have a voice and we must use it, but in a balanced constructive and unconfrontational way, so we are listened to and taken seriously - which we were last night at the meeting.

Thank you for your support re this issue I only wish we had been given more time to offer a more constructive and balanced argument and afforded enough time to hand in a petition full of signatires prior to the decision process taking place.