Save The South London Oshwal Property

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Save The South London Oshwal Property.

2016-04-04 11:07

In my life time no Oshwal property is sold but always kept as a asset and also living all my life in Croydon this is a prime site for all young or old

2016-04-04 11:19

There is no alternative for Jain Oshwal Community other than this present (Temple). If problem is parking then approach the council/MP to provide nearest parking. If MP/Councilor not prepared to help then don't vote for them.

2016-04-04 11:35

IT ONLY JAIN TEMPLE IN SOUTH LONDON

2016-04-04 11:36

ONLY JAIN TEMPLE IN SOUTH LONDON

#5 do not sell

2016-04-04 11:47

other organisations are searching for suitable (community Use ) property for over 20 years and have not located  one .

How is our committee goining to acquire one in next few months / years ?

Slick presentations at meetings is fine , but actually acquiring one is another matter .

Hitesh

#6 Sell

2016-04-04 12:01

At what cost do you want to keep this property?  Apart from religious function & Saturday gujurati school,this property is hardly used by the community.  Nowadays no one wants to use this property for wedding or private functions.  Has anyone looked at the maintenance cost on this property. Yes, we all want to keep the property but at what cost????

2016-04-04 12:04

why should a place of worship and salvation for many people be disrupted before adequate replacement provision is made. It is the people who will suffer for want of a sense of belonging and contentment.

#8 Re:

2016-04-04 12:25

#1: -  

How many young people come to the hall?

How many old people come to the hall?

who is hiring the hall

2016-04-04 12:55

Please find a suitable property first before destroying what you have already. A true value of any asset is only known once it is lost. Please do not loose this and then realise it true value. You need to consider all values not just monetary value.

#10 Re:

2016-04-04 13:24

#7: -  A place  for Salvation ????????

the deraser run by rude and arrogant people is no place for salvation. A lot of people dont come there for this reason

2016-04-04 21:47

Nothing has yet been found. This is the temple where we do Darshan and puja. This is holding the community together and a place where we can follow the religion.

2016-04-05 13:17

I have used the facility and I feel we should have replacement before we sell.

2016-04-05 14:44

Hello to all who are in favour of this petition. 

I have lived here in south London for the last 20 years and have seen a rapid decline in usage of our current property.   The cost of running this property is huge.  Think carefully before all this is bought up again at the AGM. 

The decision was made at the special meeting held at our Oshwal Centre in Potters Bar.

If the building is not sold THEN how do you raise all the monies required to buy another property?  Since the 1970's, 1980's and even the 1990's things have changed.  Outlook is very different and I have every faith in our current team who has taken upon themselves this huge task of wanting to change things for our future generations.

I have lived in this country since early 1973 and do know how things were within our community. (I know all the problems that were faced in trying to buy the property in the first place).  I believe we have to keep faith and start thinking about our future here in South London.

Currently, I use the facilities but feel a much smaller and different property will do us justice.  I would also like to point out to everyone that parking is not the main reason for wanting to move. 

Believe and help change in a positive way....

Nila D Shah

Croydon

2016-04-05 20:43

Good place and good location for all. Good transport links

2016-04-05 21:12

Perfect location  for all.   Good transport links.  At the moment we have no  suitable property on the market and until we find one this property is adequately serving the community needs and should  not be sold. 

Derasar is also serving south london jain community and according to our  sacred books we should never close down a Derasar even if one devotee is going there to pray. 

Rude people in the Derasar. All Pathetic excuses  not to go to the Derasar. Where there is a will there is always a way.         

How many communities are lucky to have place of worship  right on their doorstep.  Appreciate what you have  you will only realise true value  when you have lost it  and it will be too late.  

#16 Re:

2016-04-05 22:40

#11: -  

You don't need a building to follow Jainism, it is a way of life...

M

Progressive thinking is the way forward!!!!!!!

Charlie

2016-04-06 08:03

Do not support this petition for following reasons

A democratic vote took place at a Special General Meeting at the Oshwal Center, Potters Bar last year and an unanimous decision to sell was made.

Paryushan & Aymbil are the only occassions when we use this center. Gujarati School pupils are on the decline and can use any Croydon Schools for their needs.

We do not use these halls for our children's weddings, birtdays etc.,

Actually we are subsidising other communities by allowing them use our facilities.

Our running costs are higher than the other areas as we do not have any volunteer group to run this center, Currently the unpaid committee members and only one unpaid volunteer are helping run this center. Wages paid to staff are in excess of £36,000. 

At AGM's I find that Committee members are crtisised by some members. There is negativity at these meeting. Critisisrs do not propose/offer any constructive solutions. We forget that the elected committee members are giving up their time for the good of our community. 

2016-04-06 09:57

Dear Petitioners

Hands up to those people who have signed up and also had their children's wedding here in this hall.

How many can honestly say their children and grandchildren are using our current facilities for say birthday parties, cooking demonstrations, keep fit, sports activities, business seminars, religious workshops etc etc.

Are you and your children going to start to hire the rooms, halls in the near future for family events?

If so then it will only go a very little way to covering the costs involved in running the property.  

Can you ALSO honestly say you or your family members are going to step up and volunteer to come in the committee to make a difference? 

Bringing up issues which have already been dealt with only creates a bridge between the young Oshwals of tomorrow.

Think of tomorrow's children and their future and assist the volunteers who want to make a difference.

Encourage your families to participate in positive community spirit revival.  After all it is their future we are always fighting for and not our own.

Message from an active South London member of the Oshwal Community

Well wisher

2016-04-06 10:27

Petition like this can be cooked up by anyone. Get a few fake email addresses and put  your name down. It has no validity and those members thinking otherwise are deluding themselves.

I believe the porperty is in South London yet the member from Bradford, Ruislip, Harrow etc... are regular user of the property ???? 

Get real  people and move forwards dont be held back by some people who have no vision for the future generation.

2016-04-06 19:18

To make sure old and young to not loose out on the place they have enjoyed for many years.

#21 Re:

2016-04-06 21:15

#17: Charlie -  

Regarding your point on staff I think the association should have 2 part time staff and get rid of one staff we will save some money.

2016-04-07 12:01

response to Charlie. 

Democratic Vote ! Which planet are you leaving on ! There were less than 150 south london area members present  on the day in Oshwal centre at Potters Bar.

The slick presentations did not materilaise in acquiring a property although over 5 diffrent ones were short listed.

If other communities (actively serching for over 20 years ) have yet to find a suitable venue , what gurantee is that we shall find one ?

How come the proceeds from selling our Mahajanwadi  were not guranteed to be ringfenced for sole use of acquiring our new property ?

Most people relied on assurance by the committee , They will  not be in place after AGm . What than?

2016-04-07 12:06

How many young people are having there Birthdays , weddings etc at Shakti centre in Hounslow or in Ekta Centre in Kingsbury?

#24 Re:

2016-04-07 15:45

#23: -  

Other areas have their own expenses to meet.

Just same way south area has expenses!!!

2016-04-07 21:26

Let us all think and present our views at the agm on Sunday. Why do we want to sell? Buying another property is easy but to get a D1 licence is hard can take a long time. I think for the meantime we should keep this property  till a good property with a D1 comes on