Save The South London Oshwal Property

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Save The South London Oshwal Property.

Ekta Shah

2016-04-09 10:58

Some people who do not even live in the area are voting when it has no direct effect to them. I can guarantee that half of the people who have signed the petition do not even show their faces at many events at the Mahajanwadi. 

The selling of the Mahajanwadi is only for the benefit of the future people of Oshwal and there is no point in holding onto the uses that the centre had but can no longer suffice. 

Who even has their weddings or birthday parties at Oshwal Mahajanwadi anymore? The young people of today want modern venues not old and ruined venues. 

I am 16 and I have grown up learning Gujarati and my culture at the Mahajanwadi, but if I could change it I would have liked to have had a more modern environment to encourage me throughout my learning. 

#27 Re:

2016-04-09 18:37

#22: Guest -  

We are living on planet Earth.

I was present at the SGM at Oshwal Center Potters Bar when all issues were discussed, we could not find any so called "slick presentation".

Comittee members from South London, Central and other areas made their case on the proposed sale of the Sth Ldn Mahajanwadi. It was a democratic debate as all the members present were allowed to speak and I did express my point of view.

Discussion on the Sale of Sth Ldn Mahajanwadi has been going on for over a year. All Oshwal members have been invited to attend the meetings. If there is apathy then the apathetic members do not have any cause to complain on decisions taken at these meetings.

There are other reasons for the sale of SLM. 1) it is a grade 2 listed bldg and any renovation done will be expensive. 2) It is not suitable for disabled persons. 3) any renovations done will not change the outside appearance, and could list more reasons.......

Most important reason is that if this was your business and losses were incurred then you would have to close it down.

We need to explore new avenues to fullfill the current needs of our community in South London. If need be we can hire venues to conduct our activities until a suitable venue is found.

#28 Re:

2016-04-09 21:19

#22: Guest -  

I agree 100%

#29 Haria

2016-04-13 09:58

I have been in south for few years now and have noticed that the there is nothing attracting the younger generation to go to the hall: Its ether for the young – ie those who go to the school, or the old the ones who are retired. The only time I really make an effort to go is during Paryushan and the Diwali show

There is nothing attracting me to go to the hall on a regular basis. There are no demonstrations, competition, quiz nights, dinner and dances, plays……..

I have seen that there are activities being held but these are during the week and in the day time how are the ones who work supposed to attend?

Also I feel there is nothing attractive for the 20-60 year olds. It may be too late to consider / start activities in the evening or weekend now but when they relocate there has to be more activity for 20-60 year olds otherwise the situation in years to come will be the same ie the hall will only be used for religious functions, Gujarati school and the ad hoc function.  

I see comments that the parking is not a problem – but I have heard many say that this is why they are not going to the hall. I know there is good transport links to the hall, but like me (and I am sure many youngsters) will agree that they don’t want to be dressed in the traditional outfits and be traveling on public transport.