Flooding of Maidenbower/Furnace Green bridleway

Flooding of Maidenbower/Furnace Green bridleway / Announcements / Who is responsible? / Comments

2014-02-04 12:26

The old bridge is more elegant than the new structure but it may well be necessary to replace it if it is structurally unsound.

2014-02-04 12:29

Tabiba, yes, NR should inspect the bridge to determine whether the leaks are a serious problem, and fix if so, but ultimately it's the drainage that is the real problem that needs sorting out. Water will enter the dip along the path from both ends even if it isn't leaking through the bridge. Personally I don't think major reconstruction of the bridge is necessary or feasible. As others have said, the old part of the bridge is more elegant anyway.

Thanks for your efforts on this.

Regards,
David

AngryBird

2014-02-04 12:31

Hi
Great news. Hopefully NR will continue to pump out the water as it's due to rain heavily again tonight and will be impassable again tomorrow morning. I'm not 100% clear about the suggestion you want to make, but anything that stops the flooding and keeps the tunnel safe is good.
Well done!

2014-02-04 12:36

Yes I agree, NR should inspect the Bridge, to check for any structural repairs. And if there are repairs needed they should be done promptly before there is an accident.
Ian

2014-02-04 13:01

I suspect network rail have already inspected the bridge, but if it is unsound obviously work should be done. It has had water coming through for some time...

Preference should be put on providing an economic and effective solution to the flooding - improved drainage or raising the level of the path under the bridge to eliminate the depression there entirely.

2014-02-04 13:03

Yes I agree an inspection should be requested to investigate the leaks and to devise a permanent solution such as a storm drain within the tunnel that connects to the stream or a soak away. I prefer the architectural style of the old bridge and find the new bridge ugly so I wouldn't like to see the old bridge revamped unless it was necessary on safety grounds. I would like them to address the poor lighting throughout though.

2014-02-04 14:06

You can suggest it. What I am most concerned about is that the flooding is regular, and will they be returning every time to pump it out, especially when they have finished works? No.
They need a permanent solution.

2014-02-04 14:08

Thanks for all your help with this.
I would hope that there is nothing wrong with the old bridge - if there is, and they have just stuck a new bit on it, without checking, that would be awful.
Concerned re pumping as it sounds like a temporary solution - what about a raised walkway at the sides?

2014-02-04 14:49

Congratulations on your petition and all your hard work!

2014-02-04 16:15

Yes, it is imperative for a long term solution to be found. The whole area is in need of an up-grade in order to ensure the future safety of the public including the children and young people who have little option but to use the bridleway.
Mel

2014-02-04 16:45

I would doubt the old bridge is structurally unsound there must be regular inspections on railway bridges. Raised walk ways at the side, drainage or raising the dip in the middle any of these would be a preferable solution.

2014-02-04 17:37

I definitely agree with the raised walkway idea and I have been thinking along similar lines for a solution!

2014-02-04 18:45

Well done for starting the petition, do we know when the tunnel will be pumped?

2014-02-04 19:24

I'm agree with this.

2014-02-04 19:48

I'd would like to think a detailed examination of the existing structure was made before they started the repairs but yes it obviously needs closer inspection BUT the main priority needs to be a solution to the flooding.
Well done on putting this together.
Cllr Duncan Crow

2014-02-04 20:43

Good news. Work should be starting this week to fix the drainage issue.

http://duncancrow.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/an-end-in-sight-to-flooded-furnace.html

Duncan Crow.
West Sussex County Councillor for Tilgate and Furnace Green.

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Tilgate.FurnaceGreen

2014-02-05 19:34

we've made the front cover of the Crawley Observer !!

2014-02-06 12:00

my wife and I feel strongly that the solution is not to pump out the water but in fact FIX the problem. It is obvious that the new bridge is forcing the water into the weakened old bridge and that Network Rail are responsible for the change in water flow patterns. We also thought that whilst they were putting in the lighting in the new bridge they could have repaired the lighting in the original tunnel......not rocket
science to think of these things. Also the tunnel has never been prone to flooding before it is only since Network Rail started their works that it has happened
Tabiba

#19 Re:

2014-02-06 15:43

#1: -

You are right it is very beautiful and we should preserve our historical features, so as long as they can make it safe :)

Tabiba

#20 Re:

2014-02-06 15:48

#2: -

David, I agree with you. The flood is our primary concern. My fears are that they will keep pumping to avoid a long-term solution, which is our ultimate goal. However, from inspection, many of the parents showed concern of the leakage, therefore; I think while we have the authorities attention we should air our concerns accordingly ain for long- term permanent solution x

Tabiba

#21 Re:

2014-02-06 15:51

#18: -

Thank you for your comments, I am learning from all your suggestions, they are all very valuable. The flood needs to be dealt with ASAP so that the children are getting across for school on a daily basis. Meantime, NR can work out a formal permanent solution x