South African Government-declare Corrective Rape A Hate Crime!

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition South African Government-declare Corrective Rape A Hate Crime!.

Billi du Preez
The author of this petition

#26 Re: Repay Evil with Good

2010-12-14 14:45

#20: MM - Repay Evil with Good 

Hey MM,

Thank you so much for your kind words, and for the poem, it is beautiful ;-)

Namaste

Billi

Billi du Preez
The author of this petition

#27 Re: I want to help.

2010-12-14 15:35

#24: FarFromXanadu - I want to help. 

FarFromXanadu,

Thanks for your kind words - really appreciated, and i am so pleased that you are growing up in a town that is so accepting and liberal -unfortunately much of the world is still not!

We will be very grateful to you for spreading this petition so that we can get as many signatures as possible

Bless You!
Billi

Aruna Baker

#28 Dr Aruna Baker

2010-12-15 14:17

Firstly, May, blessed dyke, was murdered, here in England --- need I say more...

But in any case this has never been acceptable to me. NO LESBIAN MUST BE HARMED...

Salaam, Aruna

Lara Paul

2010-12-19 05:28

This is bullshit... Rape is a hate crime and crime should be punished just like in any other country... South Africa doesn't deserve our respect until they respect their people and protect them.

#31 Re: No method to the madness.

2011-06-07 21:24

2012-04-17 14:36

The whole world needs to do more, our governments need to be involved. NO ONE has a right to make another person's life a living hell.

2013-06-09 04:06

What's absolutely ridiculous is the fact that the euphemism "corrective rape" is exactly that -- a euphemism. If the female victim of "corrective rape" had instead been a male -- a gay male who was (sexually) assaulted, beaten, and/or murdered, NO DOUBT it would be labelled a "hate crime". But apparently, when it comes to crimes against women -- even those which are obviously hate crimes due to the specific targeting of their gender and/or sexual orientation -- the descriptive language is toned down. Euphemisms and coy "softening" terms are frequently used in place of stronger, shock-expressive terms like "hate crime". I'm not surprised: this is a cultural attempt to stifle knowledge of the pervasiveness of violence against women.

2014-12-08 17:09

Targeting a minroity group with intentional violence can be nothing but a hate crime
amber

#35 Re:

2014-12-08 17:12

#34: -  

38 Degrees is another effective way to get folk to sign your petition in the UK.  I believe the site is free.