Make sheppey bridge safe to cross

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Make sheppey bridge safe to cross.

#201 Sheppy Bridge

2014-07-02 09:24

Car speeds are already monitored along this road, Mobile speed cameras regularly park up and catch people speeding. Whilst it is a sad loss of life, this accident could have happened on any of the UK's dual carriageways. This bridge is a necessary link, just look at the chaos yesterday when it was closed. I drive over it every day and don't feel it is any more dangerous than any other stretch of road.

2014-07-02 09:25

50 MPH speed limit with 2 speed cameras, 1 at the approach and 1 on the down side.
mo

#203 Re:

2014-07-02 09:26

#127: Professional Driver -

Problem with the crossing is there's nowhere safe if your unlucky and break down on the upward slope this is clearly what happened to the poor mum and her children. Unfortunately people still use mobile phones and don't pay attention to whats happening in front of them, I do agree with you on that point. The old bridge was only a issue when the bridge was lifted so there's no reason why there can't be a safety lane while on the crossing don't think it would cause any problem's with traffic jams.

2014-07-02 09:27

Needs speed limits and lighting as well as cameras should have been included in original plans not wait till something happens. Action is needed.

2014-07-02 09:34

Average speed cams 1 either side

2014-07-02 09:35

Sheppey crossing needs to be safer; Barriers & lighting is a start

2014-07-02 09:44

It needs to be well lit and possibly 2 speed cameras either side to make it safe.

2014-07-02 09:50

The angle of the bridge makes a dead spot.
If a car has broken down over the brow of the bridge and people are driving to fast over it or not paying attention then they will collide in to what ever has broken down. As for lorry drivers you are positions higher up in your cab so you have a greater view over the brow of the bridge. From the first day that bridge opened people noticed the dangers and people have repeatedly made complaints but still even after the big pile up last year they deemed it safe and no need for action to be taken. Now a family has been torn apart and the council and government and police should be ashamed at eh noting the warning signs. The problem for them now if they admit that something could have been done sooner to prevent this then the renaming family would be able to claim a large compensation and so the police and council and government will not accept that the design of the bridge is at fault. I would like to put the person who is going to decide weather it is safe or n

2014-07-02 09:52

Not in a car parked on one of the dead spots with the bridge open and let's see what they would decide.

2014-07-02 09:54

I hope this matter is felt with in a sensible manner. Stop waiting and act now. Kind regards. Terry Rea.
Zedboy

#211 Speed does not kill

2014-07-02 09:54

There needs to be a solution, but speed and poor lighting have not been the cause of any of these sad incidents. It is all human error. Get off the phone, unplug the ear phones and pay attention.

Cameras will NOT fix this....only a police presence will and a change in attitude for us all to prioritise higher driving standards.

2014-07-02 09:57

The bridge (Sheppey Crossing) is very beautiful but there are neither lights nor a hard shoulder so perhaps the speed limit should be reduced to 50 mph accompanied by a couple of speed cameras rather than the present 70 mph without any controlling factor.

It isn't a bridge it's a fly over.

I think there should be a slower speed, cameras, put street lights up there and also make it into one lane I don't like going over the bridge so I always go the old way I don't feel safe on it

2014-07-02 09:59

My condolences to the family. Such sad news. We keep hearing negative news about this bridge. Something needs to happen to protect the safety of all who use the bridge. I've read that the government classed this bridge as safe, but should your car break down, then where do you go to wait for recovery and also should you not have a mobile phone how do you raise the alarm that you need assistance. Too many lives are being put at risk.
me

#216 Re:

2014-07-02 10:03

#131: -

i agree, although i would have the cameras at either end of the road, from tha morrisons roundabout to the lights at the M2 roundabout. And variable speed limit to help in fog

1965driver

#217 Re:

2014-07-02 10:08

#127: Professional Driver -

Well said that man. some very valid points. It's a sad day for many but as you say, no point jumping the gun. Most acccidents are caused by drivers, not the conditions....OK, the bridge maybe lacking in a few areas but it still ok to use if you drive carefully.

2014-07-02 10:11

this is a very very sad thing to happen, how many lives has that bridge got to take before the authorities take responsibility and make it safe???????? enough is enough. put a speed limit on there and some kind of lighting with at least 2 emergency phones either side. thoughts go out to the friends and family

2014-07-02 10:16

How many more life's will be lost before something is done to prevent it happening again

2014-07-02 10:20

Never ever driven on it always considered it to be unsafe no lighting-no hard shoulder-no slip road to go right to leysdown-no speed limit. We should have had a tunnel like the Medway tunnel.
Swampy Ian

#221 Sheppey crossing

2014-07-02 10:29

Yet another accident on A249 Sheppey crossing it doesn't take a genius to see the bridge Is not fit for purpose no lighting no hard shoulder dips in the road at both ends of the crossing possibly subsidence
Being an islander born and bred and suffered many years off the old kingsferry bridge! And the old A249 I'm sure I speak for most islanders and say we are thankful for a new crossing BUT at what cost! This isn't the first incident and won't be the last unless something is done Finally my sincere condolences to the family of this accident

2014-07-02 10:33

Sheppey crossing needs a hard shoulder lights and cameras it's a death trap. Yesterday a lot of us lost an old school friend and her son it shouldn't take a tragic accident like this to happen to get action to make this a safer bridge. I had a puncture approaching the sheerness bound side of the bridge at night but lucky for me the police came and helped me but I had to stand the other side of the barrier for safety but I'd be a liar to say I wasn't scared . Sheppey crossing is dangerous action needs to be taken fast ! Before anyone else loses their life . So sad after yesterday .

2014-07-02 10:36

40 MPH restriction plus speed cams

2014-07-02 10:41

After the accident last September with 130 vehicles they should have made it safer but unfortunately not at all, Gordon Henderson should sort something out now...R.I.P Debbie and Marshall Roberts

2014-07-02 10:47

The bridge needs to be safer