Make sheppey bridge safe to cross

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Make sheppey bridge safe to cross.

2014-07-02 22:11

This needs addressing now before more lives are lost....!

2014-07-02 22:24

Hi all. I'm making radio piece about the bridge. I want to understand the fears that people have connected to the crossing and others who think it is fine as it is. What in your view should change? Would you be willing to pay for the additions as a tax payer? Please feel free to contact me. Info@fieldmedia.co.uk.

As a programme maker you try to be objective and impartial. However it goes without saying that my heartfelt condolences go to the family of the a little boy and his mum. As a father my heart sank when I heard the news. So sad.

2014-07-02 23:55

1. Make it single lane with the other a hard shoulder for breakdowns. 2 average speed cameras. 3 lighting. Such tradegy of what has happened
siggieman30

2014-07-03 05:52

Average speed check camera either side of the bridge with a 40mph speed is the best solution.
I have said this since the crossing was built. I have witnessed some horrific speed by others going over that
Crossing.
Mattyhiller

2014-07-03 06:42

Let me stop everyone going on about the Bridge being unsafe, I travel to Minster to stay with my mum through out the year from Stoke on Trent, there is nothing wrong with the crossing. Its the people driving on it that are the problem, when I saw the total carnage of the major accident in the fog online, they interviewd a young mum and she said on camera "I was driving to fast". I rest my case

2014-07-03 07:16

It's a no brainer!!! Safety is of paramount importance. How many more tragic accidents need to happen before remedial work is carried out. This bridge MUST BE MADE SAFE.

2014-07-03 07:29

To many accidents on this bridge something needs to be done about it before anyone else loses their life

2014-07-03 07:33

I cross this bridge everyday for work 4 times a day, although all the accidents and incidents that happen on the bridge are not all down to the safety of the bridge I feel there should have been a hard shoulder put onto the bridge as well as a speed limit. If somebody breaks down or has a bump with another car there is no where for them to wait for help which causes chaos! The whole of the a249 is blocked and areas surrounding it such as Iwade. I have witnessed drivers going over the bridge with no lights in fog, speeding, switching lanes with no indication and driving like complete idiots! Unless there is police going over the bridge at the time these people continue to do this so maybe a camera on the bridge would help? Something needs to be down before someone or something ends up flying off the bridge and causing complete devastation!!!

2014-07-03 07:41

i was just behind the latest fatal accident and cant believe 2 people died yards away from me....this road and bridge need lots of speed cameras and a speed restriction of 50mph on the actual bridge and flashing speed signs ...higher fines should be imposed on those drivers who ignore warnings...

2014-07-03 07:41

So sad another accident has happened..and fatel this time. As a regular visitor to leysdown (our local and fave beach place)id like to point out that on us very first using the bridge just after it opened, on entering it very near the bend (its hard to say without actually being there now)but theres a big hump accross the road and i spilt my drink everywhere cos of this,and i said to my hubbie..blimey thats a accident waiting to happen..well time has passed and when ever we used bridge we knoww to slow right down as we know what is coming but some drivers do not!!!. Theres now been a few accidents on there and now a fatality and something should be done about this "posssible" poor workmanship. Ive said before on many accasions from very first accident, on statuses on f/book and on kent messenger etc posts about this but no-one seems to take eny notice and its just ignored!! they blame either the fog or the reckless drivers etc, but its known fact motorways are faster and quicker to use than normal roads.so it also should be safe to use.. When u go over the QE2 dartford bridge its as smooth as enything..not like the leysdown crossing bridge. It actually reminds me of the tiny village bridges you used to go over an makes yer belly flip.lol...but on a serious note if nothings done about it then theres gonna be a much bigger accident waiting to hapoen!!.The highway team need to drive accross this bridge exactley where i said and test it out for themselves (both sides)as this could be worse now with wear n tear over years but was still like it when we went leysdown earlier this year. They should close it temporeraly on testing it for themselves or even you take a trip on there at the speed it says can do..it will and does shock you. as prob has all these other drivers. and also this poor man they charging in the pickup van for this accident .just maybe hes as shocked as i was the very first time we used that bridge. He also has to live with this wether or not it was his fault which is sad.esp on the death of this poor lady and her son..which "may well" have been prevented over time!! I feel this is worth infestigating as it could be a "maybe" or "possible" cause to this situ.,

2014-07-03 08:10

Keep signing one too many people have lost their lives !!!
STEVEC

2014-07-03 08:45

50mph limit, AVERAGE SPEED cameras and large dot matrix information signs that can be adjusted and controlled for different conditions like ' ACCIDENT AHEAD' or 'BEWARE FOG', and lighting. Having a hard shoulder would just defeat why the crossing was built as it would reduce everything to a 20mph single carriageway crawl behind the lorries. If the council moan about the cost just reply "How much a life?"

2014-07-03 09:11

I heard someone say about having one bridge to go off the Island and the other to come on, which I think is a good idea too. Just like the Queen Elizabeth II bridge.
Please do something, so this doesnt happen to any other families.
RIP mum and son

2014-07-03 10:16

as an hgv driver four many years.ithink this bridge was doomed from the day it openpen.with no hard shoulder, they should now make the inside lane on both sides of the bridge,the hard shoulder and use one lane on,and one lane of with a 50mph per hour speed limit,with a 100pound fine four those who break the speed limit.
cookie290880

#315 A249 sheppey crossing

2014-07-03 10:59

I have said for years that the bridge needs sorting because as soon as you enter the the a249 there is 1 lay by after that your in trouble if you break down as there is no where to go there should be a emergency slip lane like Dartford and other bridges for this reason or if your cam belt breaks going up the bridge we need cameras that go to a hub So messages go on signs like motor ways do to warn of hazards and in case some idiot misses this as he/she comes on to the a249 a walk way behind the reinforced wall of the bridge (with emergency phones) as there isn't any .The signs can also be used to warn of other things like high winds fog etc I know this will all cost money but that's better than lives.

Also lower the speed limit

2014-07-03 11:24

This bridge needs serious review for safety. Whoever signed it off without a hard shoulder/emergency phones/lighting has made a huge mistake!! Matrix signs for queues/speed limits and cameras need adding.
Please make this road safe!!

2014-07-03 11:56

Any lost life is too many.
The concerns were raised before the bridge was built, and they weren't addressed.
Now it's there it's going to be more expensive to address the safety concerns, but they need to be dealt with, and sooner, not later!

2014-07-03 11:58

Make it saftyer before more people die

2014-07-03 12:18

Needs average speed check camera

2014-07-03 15:56

The bridge is not a problem, its the mindless twats that drive over it....if people paid attention then unfortunate accidents like this would not happen...every accident is caused by driver error not the road layout...Jenkins Hill has had many deaths in the past, no1 does anything about that, and i beleive its the drivers not the road..if people concentrated then half the accidents wouldnt happen

2014-07-03 16:25

Speed cameras and lights are needed I use this bridge every day too many vehicles
Drive too fast over this bridge

2014-07-03 17:17

I have never felt safe on the new Sheppey Crossing, specially since the horrendous pile-up in the fog. My boyfriend recently broke down on the new crossing and said he felt terrified of the heavy fast traffic whilst waiting for help. As a result he has made me promise never to use it in case the same thing happens to me. We would welcome speed cameras and lighting at the very least. If only something had been done sooner, this tragedy could so easily have been avoided. Our thoughts are with the family and friends of the two victims xxx
Professional Driver

2014-07-03 17:59

To those lovely people on here that keep mentioning Matrix signs to warn them it's foggy, please stop now! Then please hand your licences in at the nearest DVLA office (Maidstone) Because if you cannot see that it's foggy through your windscreen, then you truly are a danger to us all, and shouldn't be on the road in the first place

#324 Re:

2014-07-03 20:26

#127: Professional Driver -

I agree, Its not the Bridge itself but the Motorists who use it, Personally  do not like using that Bridge mainly because of the Hight, Strange as when I cross the QE2 Bridge I am okay,

2014-07-03 20:36

No more lives should be taken from this bridge please put speed camera's up