Risca Primary cycling ban

Quoted post

Augustus Windsock

#32 On yer bike!

2013-10-20 13:47

When I was a lad, (a long time ago), Risca Town Primary School encouraged all pupils to get regular exercise and encouraged cycling as a part of a healthy lifestyle, whilst also identifying the importance of safe cycling. However, instead of banning bikes being ridden to and from school, they introduced a bicycle proficiency test, where all successful pupils would receive a nice shinny metal triangular badge, which to a 10 year old boy, such a prize was highly coveted. We also learnt about the dangers of cycling on the road as well as being tested on actual cycle skills. Personally, I fail to see the benefit to the pupils by taking this action. I sincerely hope this is not a step to mitigate any future litigation against the School or Council arising from a cycle accident, as in my very humble opinion there is a definite whiff on NIMBY about this action. Please reconsider!

Replies

#33 Re: On yer bike!

2013-10-20 22:26:54

#32: Augustus Windsock - On yer bike!

yes they still do the safety cycling course and test that all the pupils in year 6 are asked to participate in, lasting 3 weeks, school have said that its safe for the children to bring their bikes to school everyday for 3 weeks while this is going on, but not the rest of the year??? that dosnt make sense to me. If they can make it safe for 3 weeks then why not 52 weeks!!!