Risca Primary cycling ban

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Risca Primary cycling ban.

2013-09-18 14:51

Health and Safety!!

The kids are excited at the end of the day as their afternoon play has been stopped and their playground is being taken up with pretty outdoor classrooms the kids aren't allowed in and by those ridiculous flower beds!! Add onto that the fact that the kids can't talk on their way to and from the classes even during lunchtimes and it's no wonder they are full of beans.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg!!

2013-09-18 14:54

As a parent with 2 children at this school, i think it disgraceful, what with it being an eco school. If Mrs Arthur hadn't banned afternoon play for the children they wouldn't be as boisterous and exuberant in school or out of school. This health and safety issue she has now said is all of her own doing.

2013-09-18 15:12

Why oh why do the Governors put up with it all the time. The school is nothing like it was under Mr Rees's headship and so many children and staff have left that action should be taken. And so many more children and their parents are unhappy with the school.

2013-09-18 15:41

Healthy living in school children should be promoted maybe the staff can commit to cycling or park somewhere else

2013-09-18 15:44

its not as if there is a massive car park within 50 metres next to the Rugby Club! Absolute disgrace ... this Head Teacher needs to be removed!
Astounded!

2013-09-18 16:44

There's the government advocating using cars/gas guzzlers less and walking/cycling and along comes someone in a position of authority hell bent on a selfish outlook that the school will perform better if there are lots of pretty flowers and outbuildings than if the children are healthy and happy. Well the children aren't happy and the grounds are not much of an improvement. I adored my head teacher when I was in primary school, I don't think this head teacher will be remembered for anything other than making her pupils as miserable as possible! I feel so sorry for them, this should be such an enjoyable time

#7 Re:

2013-09-18 17:37

#6: Astounded! -

Excellent comment and very true.

#8 Re:

2013-09-18 17:48

#6: Astounded! -

Well said!

2013-09-18 18:16

fools

2013-09-18 19:29

I'm sure everyone would have something to say if a child had an accident on the way to school( which is the reason as to why the bikes have been banned)!! i think the road around the school is more of a problem, where parents double park or park illegally. I feel that the school are damned if they do and damned if they dont.

2013-09-18 21:39

#10: -

I'm sure that everyone would have somthing to say if a child had an accident on the way to school whilst walking! so should we ban walking? As you said the road around the school is a problem so ask all parents to use the risca rugby club car park which will solve the problem altogether. I remember children riding bikes to school even when i was a child, and other schools still allow it. If theres such a safety risk why will it be suitable for the whole of year 6 to bring their bikes to school for 3 weeks while they do a safety cycling course, but its not safe for the rest of the year???

2013-09-18 21:55

I remember travelling back and forth the primary every day on my bicycle and it was just great fun not to mention a great source of exercise so I am in thorough support for this

#13 Re:

2013-09-18 21:57

#3: -

I was there during Mr Rees' period as head teacher and he was amazing. I've heard reports of how it is now and I personally wouldnt want tobgo back there

2013-09-19 12:05

It's a gross mis-use of power on the school's part. The school is for children; children come first not the teacher's car park! Perhaps the teachers should be invited to cycle to work like the rest of the public are being asked to or use public transport again, like most of us are forced to do because there's inadequate parking facilities. Why do they think they should have special treatment? It's an utter disgrace and should be brought to the local education board's attention.

2013-09-19 12:09

In the description of the petition it said that the school were banning cycling because it wants to take away the bike shed & extend their car park. Have I got this right? Or are the school saying its a H&S matter & it's not safe? Because I commented on the former not the latter!

2013-09-19 13:26

Is the real reason because they need more parking space well what about the big car park behind the school,why not be honest and say the real reason.Children need to keep fit and so do the teachers,the little walk from the car park for the teachers and the ride for the children,come on be honest.

#17 Re:

2013-09-20 07:27

#15: -

yes you are right, the children were told in assembly that they were no longer allowed to bring bikes to school as the bike shed was being removed to make the teachers car park bigger! Since the story has gone to the papers the school have now said that it is a health and safety reason.

2013-09-20 19:54

I think that what the school is doing is a disgrace

2013-09-20 20:15

its a disgrace! For a so called Eco school, it sure isn't being one. The school should be encouraging cycling NOT banning it & what for? false Health & Safety claims, claims they used to justify pulling down the cycle shed, turn area into parking to allow the staff to park there. So encouraging pupils to be driven to school, teachers to drive to school. Polluting the area, making the roads even more unsafe for those walking to school (until they ban that too). This school should have its ECO status removed until they re-instate cycling & actively encourage it.

2013-09-20 22:11

This move by Risca Comprehensive shows a severe lack of care for the welfare of the students - taking away cycling provisions for a few car parking spaces? It is a disgrace and not only damages the environmental credentials of the school along with the surrounding area, but also affects the well being of the students who benefit from using the facilities.

#21 Re:

2013-09-20 23:27

#20: -

Risca Primary

2013-09-21 11:20

At new Ysgol Treganna in Canton, Cardiff, more children are cycling to school. More bikes = less cars = healthier air and less ashma.
concerned 78 year old

#23 risca primary cycling ban

2013-09-21 12:48

Where is the Eco Friendly part of turning a bicycle shed into a carpark, depriving children of good healthy excercise and real eco friendliness. I am sure any decent teacher would agree with the parents on this score.

#24 Ridiculous.

2013-09-21 19:02

thats disgusting extending car park for staff.they should not use there cars and go by bike.

#25 What a farce.

2013-09-21 19:06

I don't agree with this.Its wrong think again teachers do car share instead let the children use there bikes don't be so mean.nasty very nasty