Risca Primary cycling ban

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Risca Primary cycling ban.

2013-09-22 17:03

Good luck to the people who have taken the initiative to organise this petition. It is incredible, frankly, that anybody would feel the need to do so. Sadly, it has been necessary.

I wonder what Chris Evans. Labour MP for Islwyn, which covers Risca, Mohammad Asghar and William Graham, two Conservative Welsh Assembly Members, Jocelyn Davies, a Plaid Cymru Welsh Assembly Member, and Veronica German, a Liberal Democrat Welsh Assembly Member, all in the South Wales East Constituency of the Welsh Assembly, which covers Risca, have to say about it. Will they please tell us? Perhaps it would also be good to know what Donald Touhig and even Neil Kinnock, two former Members of the Westminster Parliament for Islwyn, would have to say on the matter. So, there are at least no less than five current politicians above local Council level, that represent Risca in either the Westminster United Kingdom Parliament or the Welsh Assembly. Five of them. Get them to look at this matter.

Paul Halliday

#27 Outraged

2013-09-22 17:36

Exercise is so important and being able to go to school on your bike should be fundamental. This should be encouraged, not discouraged. If there are health and safety concerns these need to be addressed, not by scrapping the right to go to school by bike though. Where are the MP,s and AM's again. Silent on the issue!!!

If I can help please get in touch. Paul.halliday@greenearthit.co.uk
Ian MacKinlay

#28 Re: Outraged

2013-09-22 19:41

#27: Paul Halliday - Outraged

Hi Paul,

You ask, "Where are the MPs and AMs again. Silent on the issue!!! "

lI have listed some of the main ones above.

One thing we are not short of is politicians to represent us.

As I point out, at above local council level, Risca has at least five.

Yes five.

One in the UK Parliament; a Labour person.

Plus, four others at Welsh Government level, covering together the Conservative, Plaid Cymru and the Liberal Democratic Parties.

Spoilt for choice, inluding choice of party.

The real questions are:

Are they all the same, in which case the choice is meaningless?

Are any of them going to do something about this?

Hopefully most will.

Which politician, Chris Evans, Mohammad Asghar, William Graham, Jocelyn Davies or Veronica German will do the least, or even nothing at all?

Let's see.

#29 prove it

2013-09-26 17:51

I for one would love to see the risk assessment and safe system of work along with the workplace transport policy that states it is unsafe to cycle to school, it is all too easy to state 'Health and Safety' today and not be able to back it up, the risk assessment is a document that should be able to be seen by all persons who attend the school as well as visitors, you have a right to see it as they have an obligation and a duty of care for your safety. I for one think it would not be available if a request is put in to view it.......

2013-09-28 09:22

It seems Risca Primary can hand out flyers to adopt a tiger or Indian grandmothers or ask food parcels for places never heard of, but when it comes to advertising a local children's charity football club that has supported local girls & boys from ages 6-16years ie Pontymister Youth "We're not allowed " smells of summin I think.........
Hard enough trying to get kids from infront of the telly and doing sport that they won't help promote local youth sport and now even stop the kids riding bikes to school .....what hope is there? Well the tigers will be ok I suppose.

2013-09-28 14:29

To manage a school, the head needs to work in partnership with parents and the wider community. This is yet another example how the head makes decisions without any consultation with the children and parents of the school!!!!! Also, how can this be an Eco Friendly school if they are not going to support their children keeping healthy by cycling to school? why is there need for extra staff parking? Local staff can walk to school, others will have to find a space and walk a little further!
Augustus Windsock

#32 On yer bike!

2013-10-20 13:47

When I was a lad, (a long time ago), Risca Town Primary School encouraged all pupils to get regular exercise and encouraged cycling as a part of a healthy lifestyle, whilst also identifying the importance of safe cycling. However, instead of banning bikes being ridden to and from school, they introduced a bicycle proficiency test, where all successful pupils would receive a nice shinny metal triangular badge, which to a 10 year old boy, such a prize was highly coveted. We also learnt about the dangers of cycling on the road as well as being tested on actual cycle skills. Personally, I fail to see the benefit to the pupils by taking this action. I sincerely hope this is not a step to mitigate any future litigation against the School or Council arising from a cycle accident, as in my very humble opinion there is a definite whiff on NIMBY about this action. Please reconsider!

#33 Re: On yer bike!

2013-10-20 22:26

#32: Augustus Windsock - On yer bike!

yes they still do the safety cycling course and test that all the pupils in year 6 are asked to participate in, lasting 3 weeks, school have said that its safe for the children to bring their bikes to school everyday for 3 weeks while this is going on, but not the rest of the year??? that dosnt make sense to me. If they can make it safe for 3 weeks then why not 52 weeks!!!