Chiswell Green-Greenbelt destruction that affects all...

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Chiswell Green-Greenbelt destruction that affects all....

Die hard Chiswell Green Resident

2014-04-12 17:07

Chiswell Green has at it's heart a strong community spirit that binds the local population together through thick and thin, a treasured attribute that is at risk if we do not unify as one and act now! This quaint village does not need to have it's population potentially doubled by developers who's drive for profit blinds them to the severe negative consequences that this will bring to the area. It is apparent that common sense, reason and empathy for the incumbent residents have all gone out of the window due to their unquenchable thirst for monetary gain! AL2 unite!

2014-04-12 20:53

Green belts need to be preserved for our environment, health and enjoyment if they are built on we have no future.

2014-04-14 11:32

We do not want our greenbelt land taken away.
Keep Chiswell Green as Green as we can.
Mike

#29 Re: Chiswell Green Development

2014-04-14 14:16

#5: Forge End Resi - Chiswell Green Development

Helioslough Rail Freight Terminal development has been approved

2014-04-14 14:37

Keep the Greenbelt green!!!

2014-04-14 16:01

When we objected to the access road to Butterfly World on the grounds that it would segragate an area of Greenbelt, thus making it more likely to be developed, we were assured this would not be the case. This appears to be exactly what has now happened.
RB

#32 Chiswell Green Development

2014-04-14 20:20

Whilst it is evident that Hertfordshire needs to increase the number of homes in the county, careful consideration is needed of the impact that proposals have on the:
1. the ability of local infrastructure to cope with the size of proposed development
2. the local existing context
3. prioritising the use of brownfield sites before any thought of encroaching on green belt.

In the case of Chiswell Green, the current road and educational infrastructure is overloaded; as the A405/A414 are diversion routes for incidents occurring on the M1/M25, access routes into and out of St Albans through Chiswell Green (including use of Leverstock Green Road) are frequently brought to a standstill - let alone through normal traffic flows. We have overpriced development at King Harry where houses are not selling and there is insufficient social housing, the planned development on the brown field site in London Road, St Albans appears to have hit the buffers and is dormant, and there is the derelict land next to the A405 j/w M25 J21a that would be a better option rather than the green belt land specified, or event the Radlett Aerodrome site - better than rail freight idea.

2014-04-15 09:05

The local infrastructure in Chiswell Green, i.e. roads, schools, healthcare will not support any further housing development in this area.

2014-04-16 10:01

I think this is a disgrace. Not only will it be damaging to the local community services at schools, doctors and dentists, it will have a massive effect on the local wildlife, that I believe is protected due to the fact that there are numerous types of flora, fauna, newts, badgers and wild flowers. it would be interesting to see what a conservationist would say.

2014-04-16 10:08

I feel very strongly about this subject, and deeply worried how this will affect the wildlife in the local area. I feel that there has been bigger and better sites proposed that would be more suitable. I feel that this will be another oyster fields experience where my grandmother has been flooded various times with sewage due to the poor planning of services to the site.
Forge End resident

#36 Chiswell Green development

2014-04-26 12:33

Although I am a Forge End resident I do not object to the development in principle, however there are serious infrastructure issues that would need to be addressed before it should properly considered.

We cannot get away from the fact that there is a major requirement for more houses in Hertfordshire as the population increases and London and the SE continues to be successful and prosperous. What St Albans and the surrounding areas needs desperately is for its long term planning strategy to be updated (the current version dates back to 1994). This plan should set out long, medium and short term growth plans for the St Albans area with a masterplan identifying how it intends to accommodate the growth including all of the necessary additional infrastructure requirements.

We also need to get smarter in terms of how we are utilise our transport infrastructure, looking to move away from a car-led society to one that is better served by public transport, bicycles and single person vehicles. Options to reduce the demand on the city's roads should be considered such as a Park and Ride scheme and pedestrianisation of the centre as Cambridge has successfully delivered.

We should not necessarily write this development off but look to work with the Council to ensure that it meets the long term needs of the village (not just pull up the drawbridge and say "sorry we're full!". One option that was previously considered was a 'retirement village', an option that would have considerably less impact on our existing infrastructure (particularly if a new doctors surgery was built) and could help meet the needs for an ageing population.
resident

2014-04-28 19:36

Terrible idea. Completely out of proportion to the village. Just driven by greed of developers. If the greenbelt goes, its gone for good!

#38 Re:

2014-05-09 11:49

#1: -

Because it's all about money. There is more money made, selling off Green Belt Land than Brown sites.

2014-05-12 19:07

Keep St Albans green

2014-05-21 07:59

St Albans is full. The roads cannot sustain the existing volume of traffic let alone more, road maintenance is negligent. St Albans' roads (especially Watford Road / Chiswell Green) are gridlocked at rush hour. Our existing schools, doctor surgeries, water/sewage supply and other social infrastructure are beyond capacity - yet still the council strives to build more homes without considering the infrastructure to support them. It is time to stop building in St Albans.

2014-05-21 16:27

Green Belt land was created for a specific purpose and should now be more sacrosanct than ever. However, to propose development, which will drastically increase traffic movement in an area which suffers from more vehicle congestion than any other part of St Albans seems ludicrous.

2014-05-23 14:45

Please stop threatening our greenbelt! There has to be a point of acceptance that further development, outside of brownfield sites, is no longer possible in the St Albans area.

2014-05-24 11:34

I do not wish the greenbelt to be damaged

2014-05-24 11:36

The infrastructure around St Albans is terrible at the moment and more housing will cause extra pressure on the roads etc.

2014-05-24 11:40

We do not need any more building in this area, the services are at breaking point. Hospitals, roads etc.

2014-05-25 18:41

This development will be a diabolical move for Chiswell Green and the villages around the area. The traffic has increased - I would recommend the council should measure the volume of traffic travelling on Watford Road and any of its side streets towards St Albans, the M1/M25. There is always queueing traffic from 730 am until 930 am and then the same in the evening at peak hours. The schools in the area are already over subscribed to and any more demand in the area will cause a crisis. 450 homes with multiple cars per household is only going to increase the pollution and movement in the area - This is really not something I or anybody living in the area can condone.