Faversham Yellow Lines

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Faversham Yellow Lines.

2014-04-03 22:53

Painting yellow lines on these historic streets of Faversham will be unnecessary and ugly and will damage one of the great appeals of the town. It is the duty of planners to think outside the box on such occasions and refrain from following the usual linear solutions.
Craig Brown
Faversham
Dramatic Drummer

#2 Faversham Yellow Lines

2014-04-04 08:57

There is such a thing as a 'Controled Parking Zone' which removes the need for unsightly Street Furniture and yellow lines you have a sign at the entry saying No Parking ?am to?pm then a sing at the end saying you are leaving the zone. If people park in such a way as to obstruct the free flow of traffic they can be ticketed whether there are yellow lines or not.

2014-04-04 09:28

Please stop and think about your proposals. Once this hideous paint has dried, it will immediately tarnish the look of our town. And for what? To earn the council a few more quid for it's coffers! Just tell us where we can and cannot park and allow us to use some common sense. Thank you.

2014-04-04 18:52

This is pure vandalism, there are alternatives, why can't you use them, look at how other Councils are solving the problem!!

2014-04-05 06:36

As a photographer I look an old town center as something of beauty, it is Sacrilege to desecrate a historic town center with modern street signs and ghastly yellow lines.
R Warren
Resident

2014-04-05 07:08

What's wrong with restricted parking zones?

#7 Re:

2014-04-05 07:14

#6: -  

In a letter to councils, the Transport Minister Norman Baker has encouraged other local authorities across the country to follow suit. Norman Baker said: No one wants to see unnecessary yellow lines blotting our towns and villages when there is an alternative. They are a clear eyesore that can be intrusive and can have a huge impact on the look and feel of our streets, particularly in historic town centres or conservation areas. I encourage local authorities to think about the use of restricted parking zones. They can be used to improve the visual impact of the street while providing clear information to motorists.

2014-04-05 11:32

We have a very special and attractive town centre. Let's keep it that way. Assuming there are parking signs, why can't they just be updated to reflect the new parking restrictions.

2014-04-06 16:37

Faversham is a town I enjoy visiting time and time again because it is unspoilt and reflects a bygone age and is unique and unspoilt.

2014-04-10 16:13

As a regular visitor to Faversham, I agree entirely with this petition.

2014-04-10 16:28

What is BEST for Faversham

2014-04-10 16:56

Please see sense and don't abuse a beautiful town centre

2014-04-10 16:57

Just think again before you paint

2014-04-10 17:10

As someone who considers himself an expert on urban conservation and has written a PhD thesis on English historic towns, I think it is an awful idea to introduce something which is not needed at all and would have a negative impact on character, beauty and perception of a historic town. In fact, we should try to remove these things from other historic centres, not to introduce more of them!

2014-04-10 18:04

Faversham is an individual town. Let's keep it that way. Let's keep Faversham different.

We've managed without yellow lines so far - there are other ways to control parking. We must not ruin Faversham and its historic streetscape.

2014-04-10 20:50

Really? Whose bright idea is this? How about painting parking bays and getting some meters too. Maybe get rid of the inconvenient uneven road surface. Tidy the place up and make it look just like everywhere else. God forbid we just trust that the vast majority carry on behaving considerately. Maybe the more able bodied Town Concillors could set a bit of an example and not park all round the guildhall on meeting nights. Its not that far from the car park after all.

2014-04-11 11:06

In a small historical market town where there are so many 'conservation area' restrictions that individual owners of property are obliged to follow, I am more than disappointed to find out that these yellow lines for parking restrictions can be painted along our streets in the centre of town. Last year I visited Lichfield, having been there regularly over the last 30 years, and was much impressed with their improved different colour central town street markings with regard to both pedestrian walkways and restricted street parking. I am sure Faversham town street planners could come up with a more pleasing look to the central town restricted parking area other than bright yellow lines.

2014-04-11 12:20

The centre of Faversham is very attractive and I'm sure is the envy of many towns which have been blighted by insensitive and over zealous planning. As it is pedestrianised there are supposed to be very few vehicles anyway. There must be a better way of keeping the area clear of cars without putting double yellow lines everywhere. Before this happens can other methods be looked into first please.

2014-04-11 13:02

No to yellow lines, a typical thoughtless bureaucratic solution which would ruin a historic town centre.

2014-04-11 13:33

Last year in Ruthin, North Wales a similar historic medieval town to Faversham, the local council put down extreme yellow lines all round the town centre. When the full visual scarring was realised both the town council and local residents, who had strenuously opposed it all along, were horrified and gangs of workmen were out removing the lines posthaste. We must not scar the things that make this town so attractive, even in the cause of controlling the motorist.
Choose a nickname

#21 Subject

2014-04-11 14:28

Yellow lines in the Town Square would be insensitive and reflect badly on the Council

2014-04-12 18:19

I am not sure if parking in the market street area is in itself a problem, but working on the assumption that there is evidence that it is, then please use whichever creative solution does not involve vandalising our town streets with yellow paint to convey to drivers whatever the prevailing parking rules are.

2014-04-13 20:10

Horrors! I left the Faversham Grammar School in 1957, and I've lived in Vancouver since 1966 but I still visit Faversham roughly each year. Trust this rather bureaucratic and philistine idea is truly killed off before I visit in July!
Keith Mitchell

2014-04-14 08:57

I would also request that the Borough Council consider a solution to parking that is sensitive to the historic character of Faversham that avoids the use of yellow lines.

2014-04-15 07:24

No parking signs at the entrances are sufficient notice. People will ignore the yellowlines in the evenings anyway as there is no enforcement.