Nyack School District Artificial Turf Fields

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Nyack School District Artificial Turf Fields.

Vanessa

2013-10-30 13:51

I have personally gone to see the GeoTurf field in Riverdale, NY and found it far superior to ground tires. It eliminates the smell, the heat, it has a better feel, a more natural bounce, and most importantly it eliminates the numerous toxins associated with tires - a product which may very well be banned during the span of these fields. While the official debate on rubber crumb is still undecided, our community has already made a clear statement on this through the split of this bond vote and the defeat of the bond in 2007. I believe that if overall school repairs were not held hostage to the new stadium, passing of the stadium would have been impossible. 35,000 ground up tires covering 3 1/2 fields of land where our children are growing and developing is ludicrous, particularly since the board stated it would seek the safest material- not the cheapest material. I personally would like to see a combination of GeoTurf and properly maintained grass. With sharpened pencils throughout this bond we can do what's right. Please spread the word on this critical issue.

2013-10-30 15:11

There are various environmental issues that should be addressed in addition to the type of materials used. In particular, the Board should address and eliminate any runoff, should increase green space, should provide for shading. The down hill neighbors need protection.
G.R.

#3 Not Necessary

2013-10-30 18:10

Those against the bond didn't want to see taxes increase, but now it is okay to pay more for GeoTurf?! Unnecessary. Other schools that have been researched have the crumb rubber fill and both parents and students say that they will never look back. They see no opposition to it. I think that crumb rubber is good enough. There is no need to waste more money on GeoTurf.

#4 Re: Not Necessary

2013-10-30 18:40

#3: G.R. - Not Necessary

Thanks.  I can only speak for myself and the few people I personally spoke with, and for us it was never about the money.  Ever, and I honestly think that was the feeling for a lot of people.  Maybe mispladed priorities for some as well, but not the money.  For some, sure, they don't want to spend any money on anything. Can't help them and I don't care about them.  For many of us, it was about a couple of things - the scale of the turf etc. and the crumb rubber.  Everything else should absolutely get done.  Regarding Geoturf, it retains moisture and is 10's of degrees cooler in the heat. Some amount of it will end up in the garbage as it sticks to socks and uniforms, in landfills, down storm drains, into the Hudson etc.  It's just better if you include environmental concerns in your definition, and yes it comes at a cost. If the additional cost of Geoturf is $600k, (an amount told to me by someone who would know), it works out to an additional $5/year for the average tax payer when bonded at 4.5% over 15 years.  I just think it's worth it.

Regards,

Glen

#5 Re: Not Necessary

2013-10-30 20:24

#3: G.R. - Not Necessary

People who were against the bond were against it for a host of reasons. Not specifying the type of turf in the project proposal was one such reason for being against it. Now this is what we have, and as a community we have a duty to influence this for the common good.

#6 Re: Re: Not Necessary

2013-10-30 21:21

#5: - Re: Not Necessary

Completely agree with you, thus my petition to try to influence for  what I believe to be the common good.  It's just the common good costs a few $$'s.  Doesn't it always!

Thanks

TL

#7 Don't pigeon hole please

2013-10-30 22:00

I was for the bond and the fields but against crumb rubber. Nobody likes to pay more taxes than necessary but the increased cost is minimal to the overall cost of the bond. I just don't understand why there should be resistance to this superior surface now that artificial turf is coming to our community. I have discovered that athletes that have played on crumb and geo far prefer the geo surface for their performance and comfort.

#8 Re:

2013-10-30 22:40

#2: -

I agree and I hope you're right.  I think I need to get the Board many, many signatures that tells them to spend a bit more of our money to do the right thing.

#9 Re:

2013-10-30 22:44

#2: -

I agree with everything you say.  I picked up on this issue pretty early on and have run with it.  The Board is moving forward and all your suggestions are equally worthy.

2013-10-31 11:19

I don't believe in using turf at all, but if it must be done, I definitely want it to be as harmless as possible to the natural environment. As permeable surface as possible would be best, so that the biodiversity in the soil is not suffocated.

#11 Re:

2013-10-31 18:09

#10: -

That's why I'm doing this.  Crumb rubber shouldn't be in the conversation.

2013-11-04 17:14

For me, it is not necessary that the turf is "organic" but that it is non-toxic.
Glen Weinbaum
The author of this petition

#13 Re:

2013-11-04 18:28

#12: -

When I use organic, I don't mean like organic vs. non organic broccoli.  I'm using organic to mean it's essentially natural.  And "non-toxic" I think is where folks who are ok with crumb rubber come down, that its toxicity isn't sufficient so as to be harmful to health.  I'm just unwilling to go there, and am fully willing to pay more for cork and coconut husks, which is what Geoturf is made of.  I'm unaware of anything other than Geoturf that isn't either crumb rubber, or some sort of plastic encapsulated sand.

Thanks