save_new_wheel

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition save_new_wheel.

2012-02-27 21:25

The individual who made the above comments should be ashamed of themselves. I regularly use the pub and it is always busy! You obviously don't read the papers because if u did u would know that Punch are selling the pubs off because they are in debt to the tune of 3 billion quid! Tesco will require permission for the extension and cash machine as well as the signage u mention! Oh, didn't u know about that? Well that just goes to show how much u know about the matter in general!!

2012-02-27 21:32

The small minded individual who wrote the horrible things about the new wheel and the people who are supporting it obviously isn't from wrenthorpe because if they were they would know that there are petitions all over the village with over 1000 signatures and counting on them. The New Wheel is far from quiet I watch sport there twice a week and it's always nicely busy. Nobody goes in? Obviously u don't! Why don't u go down this tues for the quiz, or Friday for the rugby and I think u will find yourself feeling rather pathetic yourself....

2012-02-27 23:09

all the best to keep your comunity pub and beat the fat very greedy people who are ruining england.
love and best regards andy {crush punch)hadsor.

2012-03-01 17:59

As there are tesco express shops in East Ardsley and Outwood there is certainly no need for one in Wrenthorpe which is between the two, plus as a lollipop lady the last thing I want is Wrenthorpe Road becoming so busy that it is dangerous for pupils.

2012-03-02 14:10

I agree, it definitely shouldn't be turned into a Tesco's, I can't think of one good reason to build it in this location. If wrenthorpe "needed" a Tesco's then the top Wheel on Bradford would make far more sense. There's talk of The Bay Horse becoming an Akbars now too!
Paul Mac

#31 Re:

2012-03-02 16:27

#1: -

When are the council going to do something that the people want them to do. They lord about telling us what we can, can't and have to have. It,s about time they started doing as there told. The council should be doing what we want,  Not what they want. It wouldnt supprise me to find there were backhanders flying about. Agane? Who in there right mind would put a supermarket on THE most dangerous place in Wrenthorpe, and why? Money. How many children will have to die or be injured to get it removed once its there? How much do children cost these days?

2012-03-02 16:37

We shouldn't have to sing and dance about every stupid decision the council come up with. Vote them out. Put somebody in who Knows right and wrong; Stupid and sensible;safe and DANGEROUS.Most of all what the people want.

#33 Re: pathetic

2012-03-02 17:34

#19: - pathetic

It is understood that Punch Taverns is facing financial difficulties and, therefore, is looking to sell off some its some of its assets (nationwide) in order to secure the highest value capital return. However, it is not accepted that this in itself represents sufficient justification for a food store in this location. Other breweries or independent operators may be interested.

Whether the pub "survives" as a business is a separate question as to whether the pub building itself could be put to an alternative planning use. Any "presumption in favour of sustainable development" (the latest government position on planning matters) would surely take into account the basic premise that any future use of the building should in itself be of benefit to the community as a whole.

A supermarket in this location can (and wlll) be resisted on numerous planning grounds.The impact on existing small retailers/ businesses within the village, in addition to the highways and traffic impact of any proposal would need to be assessed in great detail. Specifically, it is noted that the Council is fully aware already that the building is of historic interest, and that such building's should be afforded protection under the planning policy requirements of PPS5- Planning for the historic environment (whether listed or not).

On the assumption that Tesco cannot get permission to demolish the pub- as they will likely plan to do so- then they may consider that the Express format would not be workable and think twice about trying to impose unwanted development on the resident's of Wrenthorpe, who are clearly opposed to the principle, let alone the practicaliies of locating a store here.

Aside from this, emerging planning legislation contained within the Localism Act is opening the way for Punch Taverns to be required to place the building on the open market- which, in effect, would allow community groups the right to buy assets of community value- which includes public houses.

The battle lines are only just being formed...

Paul Jamieson
The author of this petition

#34 Re: Re: pathetic

2012-03-02 20:38

#33: - Re: pathetic

My understanding is that Tesco have said they would preserve the building itself, and add an extension - which would presumably require planning permission.

I also understand that there is an existing well-used footpath between the New Wheel and the properties behind, which although is not designated a public footpath has been used as such for well-over 10 years. Perhaps someone could confirm this?

2012-03-04 13:12

Wrenthorpe needs additional traffic like a hole in the head. The roads are in an appalling state,the location is on a bad bend and the loss of the pub would be another nail in the village's coffin.

2012-03-04 14:51

This will totaly disrupt the village,again another big concern trying to destroy a village. this is totaly uneccesary in a small village like wrenthorpe the position near the T junction is totaly inapropriate the roads in wrenthorpe are in bad enough repair as the seem to have been abandandend.the local shops are fine the properties in proximity will loose value. There are too many schools in the village for more traffic tesco must be expecting a lot of trade as they do not waste money on developments. But all this will be brushed aside as there will be too much money involved for the planning commite and council to object to the proposal.

2012-03-05 13:35

I have lived in wrenthorpe for 40years and fortunately it still retains a village atmosphere if Tesco was to be allowed we would get far more traffic than the narrow road outside the new wheel which would be a danger to all the villagers but especially the young children going to and from school and the older inhabitants
There would be a loss of the hairdressers and pub and our local shops would suffer
WE DO NOT NEED ANOTHER SHOP THE PRESENT SHOPS ARE PERFECT FOR ALL OUR NEEDS

2012-03-05 13:48

this lovely village is and must remain a lovely village A tesco store would create extra traffic which the roads can not cope with and would make it dangerous for the school children and old people
Why cannot wrenthorpe be left alone to remain a village and do something about the roads which are appalling
The local shops fulfil all our needs so leave them alone

2012-03-05 19:32

We don't want a Tesco!

2012-03-05 19:34

Why build a tescos when we have local village stores that we dont want to close!

2012-03-06 13:06

The proximity of FOUR schools and the fact this dangerous junction is often gridlocked would suggest this is a terrible location for a business that will encourage further road traffic. Plus the road itself is in a poor state of repair and possbily could not cope with extra delivery vehicles.

2012-03-06 13:48

I am disgusted at the very few negative replies to this petition
Do they live in this village and if they do they obviously do not care for anyone but themselves
If they donot they are not qualified to comment and should be ignored
GLADYS

#43 NOTHING WRONG WITH TESCO

2012-03-06 17:23

TESCO IS A FINE SHOP WHERE IT IS, NOT IN WRENTHORPE. WE ARE TRYING TO KEEP IT A VILLAGE NOT A CAR PARK. TRAFFIC IS BAD ENOUGH THROUGH THE SCHOOL RUNS WITHOUT EXTRA TRAFFIC.
IF THE COUNCIL WANT SOMETHING TO DO, RIP UP THE BUMPS AND MEND THE ROADS.

2012-03-06 18:33

Could I suggest as many people as possible writing to Punch Taverns directly stating that they would not make regular use of the Store if it went ahead ?

#45 Re:

2012-03-09 16:26

#44: -

If Punch Taverns sell the pub to Tesco, they won't give a stuff about a store boycott. Better to inform Tesco of boycott intentions.

It should be noted that Tesco are planning a "two-pronged" attack on Wrenthorpe. In addition to their New Wheel aspirations they also wish to take over Gills - 3 minutes walk away from the New Wheel - and open it as a "One Stop" - which is part of the Tesco chain. I am certainly not saying that this should be opposed, but it does beg the question of why they want the pub as well (which they do, it is not a case of "either/or").  Surely it can only be to create a Tescopoly!

Contact them here:

https://www.tescohelp.com/tesco/forms/cs_form.html

Susie

#46 Re:

2012-03-11 19:42

#12: -

Gills mini market is overpriced and customer service is horrific, never have I experienced worst service in any local shop I have been in, as usually I am in favor of local businesses.

The co-op and Spar in Outwood, and the Londis near Wakefield's centre is simply too far, a tesco will provide jobs and be beneficial to community.

2012-03-12 10:29

Absolutely no need for a Tesco minimarket in Wrenthorpe - or any other one for that matter.

2012-03-14 14:15

We dont need a supermarket in Wrenthorpe village!!!!
Richard

#49 Susie's comment #26

2012-03-17 13:49

I cannot believe the coment by Susie. Gill's is more pricy than supermarkets, of course. That's how things are in village shops. But if I need something I've not bought in a supermarket it's certainly cheaper than driving there. It what convenience shops are for - convenience. As for suggesting that customer service is "horrific", that's a dreadful slur on the lovely, caring, hard-working people who run it.

No doubt Tesco will provide jobs, but have you any idea how many jobs will be lost in the various businesses that will be hit? Or how many are employed in The New Wheel alone?

#50 Re:

2012-03-18 18:52

#20: -

Cant believe what #20 is saying!  You are a complete utter fool and obviously do not live in the area and see the already overloaded roads during school runs. Do you know that the number of jobs they are hoping to create at this Tescos is 15!! Yes just 15 and if you count up the number of jobs that will be lost locally it will be far more than that. 9 parking spaces including staff parking!  Do you think for one minute that the management of the store will be local people? - I bet they are not, so in all no good will come to Wrenthorpe by this.

As for no one using the New Wheel - once again you are wrong and deluded. Punch Taverns have been offered money to keep this as a pub but have refused as Tescos can put in a higher bid.

Also #20 can you guarantee that the speed bumps have prevented accidents in Wrenthorpe?  And where do you get this sort of information from?  Im sure we'd all like to know.