save_new_wheel

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition save_new_wheel.

#51 Re:

2012-03-18 18:55

#44: -

In response to the message by #44. It is not Punch Taverns who you should write to. Once they sell they dont give a damn if you shop there or not. It is Tesco's who need to be told that you will boycott - maybe that way they will think twice about investing in Wrenthorpe.

#52 Re: Re:

2012-03-18 19:08

#51: - Re:

Wrenthorpe manages perfectly well without Tesco's benevolent "investment", thank you very much.

If Tesco believe there is a clamour for one of their minimarts here, can they (or those who would do the PR for them) please provide details of the market research they have undertaken in Wrenthorpe?

I won't hold my breath.....

in support

#53 Progression

2012-03-22 10:55

I have lived in Wrenthorpe all my life. I remember there being two green grocers, a butchers,. coblers and other shops. What happened to these, well the Londis expanded, other supermarkets opened up and they had to close! Now Wrenthorpe is a village with 5 pubs in a struggling climate and an ageing population. It makes sense to close two pubs and open an indian restaurant in one (the bay horse). The other being the wheel, well this has been quiet for along time and we live in a profit led world. The tesco in my mid would be ideal, good quality veg, fresh meat and a shop i can get what i forget on my big shop. Yes it may mean londis closes- well there prices are over the top and the way they speak to the children is appaling. The post office may also close (at least the newsagent part!), however they still do a good service in paper delivery.
For those queiring the parking, you forget the village hall car park too. Yes a lorry would cause issues but tesco staff know when delivery times are due and all they have to do is close half the whell car park and allow the lorry to reverse, problem solved. No doubt the council will paint doulbe yellow lines for the people who object and this should solve the problem. Let progress happen, if it doesnt work and tesco dont make money, they wont hang around

#54 Re: Progression

2012-03-26 13:54

#53: in support - Progression 

The wheel is quiet? I was in there friday for the rugby, saturday for the music quiz and sunday night for the quiz and it was heaving! Are u sure u have the right wheel!

2012-03-26 13:57

Long live the new wheel! Its the best pub in the village! Always people in it, no trouble, good beer, well run, lovely staff!

#56 Re: Progression

2012-03-26 14:07

#53: in support - Progression 

Close the carpark? Reverse a lorry in? Are you aware they will send 16 wheelers down there? Whilst they are blocking the carpark off, no body who comes to the store has anywhere to park so will park on the road. Secondly, have you ever tried reversing an articulated lorry into a carpark with a blind bend to both sides of a very narrow road? And what about the people who live near the pub? What about the disruption this causes to them? Also, if Tesco do leave we will just be left with a boarded up eyesore in the middle of the village! People also seem to be missing the point as to why Punch are selling the pub ? Because they are in debt! Its got nothing to do with how the pub trades (which is well) it just boils down to the value of the site to companies such as Tesco! I think your comments are very narrow minded and inconsiderate to the people who will be affected by all this. You obviously dont use the pub. Go in and see for yourself. Its a busy well run quality pub. I am sure you will receive a warm welcome.

2012-03-26 14:09

9 parking bays and double yellow lines? Oh and have they got permission to park in the village hall car park....how stupid!
Deadhead

2012-03-26 19:53

As a Camra member and a local resident I am vehemently opposed to the closure of this pub and even more opposed to it being turned into a Tesco if only for the adverse effect it will have on the local traders.
It would be nice if it could be run as a cooperative but I don't suppose Tesco can be outbidded!

http://www.plunkett.co.uk/whatwedo/Co-operativePubs.cfm

2012-03-27 01:05

Recent sales figures from Tesco, have shown that perhaps the tide is at long last turning, against these huge conglomerates. Lets make sure we do our little bit in Wrenthorpe, to keep the tide turning, back in favour of the smaller traders.

This post has been removed by the author of this petition (Show details)

2012-03-27 15:42

Stupot

2012-04-06 19:29

I and my wife drink in the New Wheel. It is a popular pub frequented by all types from Wrenthorpe and beyond. I am also told that there has never been any bother inside or out for as long as anyone can remember. Anyone who says different are factually wrong. Of course, people have the right to want a Tesco Express in the village if they want but I believe they are being selfish all round. As for all this rubbish about the people at the "school shop" being abusive etc then again I have not seen any of it. But what about the main issues that will affect all in the village and those that pass through it and past the New Wheel.

I am sure all residents in the village will agree it is extremely rare that anyone parks on the New wheel side of Wrenthorpe Road from Roger Lane to the juction with Wrenthorpe Lane. Not even the residents and their visitors. There could be no greater evidence that the average reasonable person believes that parking on that side creates both danger and inconvenience to all other road users. Such a fact must be factor the council planning committee must take into consideration as evidence as to the safety issue.

Any delivery lorry will certainly be a large lorry and there are issues as to how it parks, where it parks and when it parks to deliver to the proposed store. The Highways Act 1980 and the Highway Code both identify issues that the council planning committee must take into consideration. Parking the wrong way, parking in fog, parking within 10m of a junction (the exit from the proposed car park is arguably a junction as a matter of law under the highways Act 1980)are but a few of the issues. If Tesco propose to deliver when parked in the car park then the whole car park area becomes a "delivery area" as a matter of law and Health and Safety issues arise. Also, reversing into the car park by a large lorry whilst cars are parked on the chemist side can again be a serious safety issue. Furthermore, who is to say that Tesco will not decide to deliver whilst parked on the main road in the future. there will be no contract under any planning consent to keep them to their word.

There are more and more issues to be overcome by Tesco which no doubt includes the fact that it is not only people with cars who stop and shop at Tesco Express shops and there like. I have sat outside Tesco at Outwood and there are vehicles of every size parked up whilst the owner shops at the Tesco. Some of those vehicles being parked blocking views at junctions and on the pavement. Finally, I might add that the evidence I have put together shows Tesco in a very dim light when it comes to their responsibilities when delivering to their Tesco Express store under numerous Acts of Parliament as well as there general community responsibilities.

Tesco, are you really the epitomy of modern captitalism, "Sod the rest, it's profits for the shareholders and the board that we care about".

#62 Re:

2012-04-16 16:55

#55: - Great pub!

Would just like to say that I totally agree! Myself and my husband have just started using this pub. We went in on Easter Sunday for the quiz. It was packed and we had a lovely evening. We spoke to a few people in the smoking shelter! They had nothing but praise for the staff and management of The New Wheel, and are extremely angry that their local is being taken away from them. We then returned the following weekend for the Grand National. Again the place was buzzing. The beer is spot on, and the pub is well maintained and comfortable. We will continue to use the pub for as long as its there! I also see where people are coming from with the road situation. It would be a total shame to lose this pub, and a major hazard if Tesco move in. I hope they don't.

wakey girl

2012-04-27 16:01

hi i dont live in wrenthorpe but i am shocked that punch taverns are going to sell to tesco. I think this will be a big mistake for a small community. Wrenthorpe is a lovely village and Tesco think they can buy anything ,its nothing to do with making more jobs or helping this community its all about money.Sick to death of councils taking back handers from big supermarkets. There is a new Tesco express in portabello which used to be a local pub and also talks about selling The Union on horbury road to Tesco too. Yes the pubs that are boarded up are a eyesore but come on do we need a bloody supermarket on every corner NO!! Im with the residants who are against it.
oliver

#64 Re: pathetic

2012-04-27 20:12

#19: - pathetic 

bellend

#65 Re: wakey girl

2012-04-27 20:52

Well said! What makes this particular case really bad is that this pub is not boarded up. It is a good pub that trades well and has been run by the same lady fir over 5 years. Punch should be ashamed of themselves as should Tesco.

This post has been removed by the author of this petition (Show details)

2012-04-28 13:10

2012-05-09 15:03

I have lived in this delightful village for 40 years why spoil it for a shop we DO NOT need
The village is well supplied with shopd to meet all needs if a Tesco was opened not only would it destroy the village shops but would create a very bad traffic hazard on a narrow road
PLEASE leave out village alone why must we destroy what is good, for the sake of what some may call progress

#68 Re: pathetic

2012-06-05 21:41

#19: - pathetic

People are entitled to their opinions and just because it does not concur with yours it does not make them idiots. What a charmer you are ...

Local resident

#69 Re: number 21

2012-08-05 23:03

#21: -

Tell us, how many shares in Tesco Plc do you own?

Local resident

#70 Re: speed bumps

2012-08-05 23:10

#20: -

you will probably have noticed that the WMDC speed bumps in Wrenthopre are totally ineffective, you will probably have noticed the lack of lollypop person near jerry Clay lane and the village hall, and also the hundreds of kids and parents trying with difficulty to cross there twice each day, a supermarket would make the village more dangerous, if you think risking a childs life is worth it to increase the dividend your Tesco shares pay then you a little slefish (to put it mildly)

This post has been removed by the site administrator (Show details)

2012-08-25 11:49

Paul

#72 Bad news

2013-03-11 19:46

Tesco will shortly be submitting an application to convert the New Wheel building into a Tesco Express.

#73 Re:

2013-03-12 10:47

#20: -

Price of goods in these shops are not cheep it is good to see that the people that want the shop have never shopped in a small tesco.

2013-03-12 19:44

Shame on you Tesco. The people of the village do not want you. Leave it alone!

2013-03-14 15:14

Hope that this is it and we can get on with enjoying our excellent pub. Salutory lesson that we all need to visit it a bit more!!!