TRO HGV Sutton Bank

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition TRO HGV Sutton Bank.

Caroline Artingstoll
The author of this petition

2015-02-20 12:07

Support your Parish Council in their objective

2015-02-20 12:44

This decision to deal with this horrendous situation - which is happening every day causing stoppages to many vehicles is long overdue - the council is not listening to any of this parishes
serious complaints - the council has too much power and is using it in the wrong way - the HGVs have first rights on a primary road - other road uses come second.The police are there daily trying to sort out the stoppages - this is a misuse off their time - something has to change and soon.

2015-02-20 12:53

I hope all the hard work that the Parish council has put in will make all the apartments in the council think about what is really happening on this road.

They have to think of the other road users and what is happening to hundreds of road users who have to find an alternative route because of one lorry that is stuck on the bank for 6 hours. This is not happening and would not be allowed to happen on any other primary route in England. I think this petition is long overdue.
HG

#4 Sutton Bank A170

2015-02-20 17:22

The A170 at Sutton Bank is not fit for purpose in regard to loaded HGV trucks ascending this 25% grade with hairpin bend. Blockages to Sutton Bank continue to be an almost daily occurance as a result of HGVs failing to ascend the bank.  This situation then creates a dangerous situation with vehicles then overtaking the blockage against oncoming traffic. This will eventually result in a serious accident. The police who attend many but not all of these incidents, can take several hours to clear.  There have been many occasions when the police are not made aware of the blockage and then we have HGV trucks reversing back down the bank around bends and up to 1 mile against oncoming traffic along the A170 as the HGV drivers seek somewhere to turn around to retrace their steps and seek another route.

2015-02-21 09:10

I very often drive up and down Sutton Bank and am frequently delayed due to lorries blocking the bank. It is very frustrating having to turn round with great difficulty so as not to miss important appointments. It seems absurd to ban caravans from using Sutton Bank but not gigantic lorries. Where is the logic in that decision? Not only that, when driving through Sutton under Whitestonecliffe one has to encounter more delays because the road is simply too narrow for two lorries to be able to pass. Nightmare and utterly ludicrous!!! Please SOMEBODY start thinking rationally!

2015-02-21 12:53

A critical petition, as Sutton Bank is blocked by HGVs having to reverse back down, almost on a daily basis, preventing others going about their lawful business, and subjecting car-drivers to a pretty terrifying experience if you happen to be stuck behind a lorry reversing down a 1-in-4 gradient for a mile or so, with little hope of overtaking into on-coming traffic!  Furthermore, it forces traffic to divert off the blocked A170, and onto alternative routes, such as via Boltby Bank, 3 miles to the north of Sutton Bank, which is the same gradient, but single carriageway, with a similar, but blind, double hairpin bend at the top, and through the village of Boltby on narrow, country roads which are not designed to take that volume of traffic; and which has recently been designated as a major cycle route through the NYM National Park, causing an extra hazard for road vehicles!

2015-02-24 18:05

A very difficult road even in a car. I hope this petition succeeds

2015-02-25 17:44

This Alpine-like stretch of road takes many drivers by surprise, especially those relying on sat-navs. Like caravans heavy vehicles and articulated lorries should be banned on the grounds of public safety. Better signage indicating the hazard, and the restriction, is needed, at points BEFORE drivers find themselves committed ie north of the A172 and south of the A64.

2015-02-26 08:45

Desperately needed. The present situation is a horrendous accident waiting to happen.

2015-02-26 11:39

I believe this is the only way to solve the problem of HGV's blocking the Bank and causing damage.

2015-03-01 13:30

It's very disconcerting when you shell to burning clutch and the lorry in front starts going backwards!
MICK G.

2015-03-01 19:59

As a truck driver over the years I have seen the problems and it needs to stop. My ex. bosses used to tell me to use it as it saves a lot of time.(not if you get stuck).I no longer use it in an HGV.It also keeps the police and other services from doning their job for hours costing the forces a lot of money,maybe a heavy fine to the comany and driver would change things.As has already been said it is an incedent waiting to happen.

2015-03-02 22:06

Fire/Ambulances rely on information from the Police of any road blockages and hence they can avoid any problems. If vehicle drivers do not inform the Police then Fire/Ambulances on a call may well try to get up the Bank and find it blocked. Finding an alternative route delays their response time and action.

2015-03-04 11:33

I have witnessed HGVs frequently failing to climb Sutton Bank over the past 18 years and consequently causing chaos and danger for other road users.

2015-03-04 19:24

I have lived at the bottom of Sutton Bank my whole life and heavy HGVs have often blocked the bank and as a result blocked access to my property.

2015-03-05 00:34

A turning area at the bottom of the Bank would alleviate some of the problems and would allow HGV drivers to reconsider their route when they actually see what is ahead of them rather than, as happens now, having no choice but to try to climb because there is no where to turn around.

2015-03-07 16:33

of course this should happen. The drivers of such vehicles are culpable and should face stiff penalties. If the vehicle or load is unsafe, it is their responsibility. If conditions are icy or wet, it is their choice to take a chance. If their ability to negotiate the road is wanting, it is their choice. There are alternate routes available at a time/distance cost but what price the safety of villagers, other motorists and the emergency services not forgetting the hours of inconvenience to "innocents"?

2015-03-08 16:05

There are very few roads like this one on the country, hence why drivers are often ill prepared for its challenges. Please take measures to ensure the saftey of other road users and residents of the nearby village.

2015-03-08 20:44

I am signing because as a mum that lives next to the road I am concerned about how fast some of the HGVs go through the village and also that I have friends and family who have businesses on the bank and have the same concerns and troubles outlined in this petition.

2015-03-18 20:43

Because a week does not go by without an artic tuck blocking the bank. wasting Police time and causes problems all over

2015-04-11 02:31

I have experienced being trapped behind a large lorry which was unable to proceed up the steep incline;every time it tried to re-start it slipped back and I was almost squashed as I had a vehicle right behind me.

2015-04-15 13:37

I have a friend who's recently moved to a house nearby. I tried driving up there when I visited. It was HORRENDOUS even for my little car. Such a shock, both the bend and the steepness of the incline. I cannot even imagine what a lorry would make of it. I really feel for the local people faced with that level of disruption to their lives, when a simple sign would make the world of difference. Seriously seriously important.

2015-04-24 15:50

Because I use the bank 4 days a week going to and from work, and get held up by HGV's that are stuck, at least once a week.

2015-04-24 15:53

I have signed this petition as it is a total disgrace the number of times HGV's break down, jack-knife, or have to reverse down the bank.

2015-04-26 13:55

As a ex HGV driver, we wre not allowed to use Sutton Bank 20 years ago, so not before time it was stoped