Save Dog Shows and Docked Breeds In Northern Ireland

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Save Dog Shows and Docked Breeds In Northern Ireland.

ROY GREGG

#26 TAIL DOCKING FOR HUSBANDARY

2011-01-12 21:26

DOCKING WAS ORIGINALY INTRODUCED BY OUR PREDECESSORS FOR HUSBANDARY REASONS, I WONDER HOW MANY OF OUR LEGISLATORS HAVE EVER OWNED A DOG THAT REQUIRED REGULAR GROOMING. AS GROOMERS WE CAN INFORM YOU THAT THE TWO MOST DIFFICULT PARTS OF A DOG TO GROOM ARE IT'S FEET AND ITS TAIL. DOGS GET VERY DISTRESSED WHEN TAILS ARE BEING WORKED WITH AND MOST GET VERY AGRESSIVE. BEFORE ANY MLA VOTES ON THIS SUBJECT LET ME SUGGEST THAT THEY VISIT A GROOMING PARLOUR AND PHYSICALY GROOM A DOGS TAIL.
DOCKING A TAIL TAKES SECONDS ONCE IN A DOGS LIFE AS OPPOSED TO A TERRIFING EXPERIENCE SEVERAL TIMES A YEAR FOR 12- 15 YEARS.
DOCKING PREVENTS DISTRESS, DOCKING IS GOOD HUSBANDARY
Kath Turner (Lady)

#27 Save our Shows

2011-01-12 22:53

Not a good idea to bar dogs with docked tails from Dog Shows, this will mean fewer people attending the shows in NI and also lead to loss of business and revenue in the Province
David Flynn

#28 Docked Breeds

2011-01-12 23:23

Under supervision docking should be allowed. After all it has been done for years without problems. Under a registered vet this should not cause any after effects or medical conditions
Ann Esposito

#29 Docking

2011-01-14 23:31

The Irish Government should read the survey done by the royal college of veterinary surgeons in th UK were they have proved that the docking of dogs tails prevents tail damage
John Yates

#30 The Docking Of Tails

2011-01-14 23:37

I have rescued Old English Sheepdogs over the years and in the summer months many have had fly strike. If not treated at once the maggots eat thier way in through the rectum & attack the major organs THEN IT IS TOO LATE. No tail see maggots early,  protect our docked breeds

PAULINE MILLS

#31 Mrs

2011-01-15 01:54

Why would any sane person want to jeopardize a long standing respected hobby such as Dog Showing.An immidiate cut off date to docked dogs being shown is ludicrous.
Dock Breeds have been here long before any of us,it is done for a good valid reason.
It also has now been proven more tails are damaged on once docked breeds all over Europe.
What Happened to Freedom of choice!
If its not broken why try to fix it.

Alistair Eadie Mackenzie

#32 Docked Dobermans

2011-01-15 22:06

Dobermans do not look the same with their tails.
Perhaps the UK Government should address other issues such as regulating Laser Eye surgery and immigration.
Stuart J

#33 pure shallowness

2011-01-17 15:08

How ridiculous to suggest that the entire dog showing world and economy in Ireland will collapse as a result of this! We own a docked Rottweiler and her undocked daughter and have to come to accept her tail, though admittedly it has taken some time getting used to. It can cause problems, like smashing things all over the house when she gets excited, but hey-ho those are the joys of dog ownership. The law has been in force in England since April 2007, so it's now quite strange to see them without tails! At the end of the day, it's issues like this that really separate dog lovers from those who just like to cash in. How shallow to say you will abandon the breed you profess to love, simply because they will have a tail!
gail morrissey

2011-01-17 20:07

let the breeders decide that know the breeds.
WENDY BROOKS

2011-01-18 21:35

Too many sat back and left it to others here....and the docking ban came. Don't do the same there............SIGN it NOW!
stewart southam

#36 dog docking...

2011-01-19 00:05

ok, so you want to delete the docked dog from soceity,does that mean that the kennel club will stop all the experiments and inter breeding to produce the ``ultimate`` dog and return to bbc tv ,,,, i dont think so. make your minds up folks . for all our sakes, dogs included.
peter vickers

#37 tail docking

2011-01-22 14:28

good luck wih your fight.
Angela McNally

#38 Re: pure shallowness

2011-01-27 01:03

#33: Stuart J - pure shallowness 

No one is suggesting that the economy in Ireland will collapse as a result of a docking ban, the banks and government in Ireland take the credit for that .

You obviously have not checked the facts ! Docked breeds account for at least 35% of entries at dog shows in Ireland. Without this income Dog Clubs cannot afford to run shows;  result = no shows for any exhibitors!

Uk Registrations for working breeds(UK Kennel club comparative tables of registrations ) Rottweilers down 67% on 2006, Dobermanns down 53% Boxers down 35% . This is reflected in entries at UK Championship Shows. Dobermann entries down 31%(Figures calculated by UK exhibitor who compiles figures for the UK breed clubs)

Who said that exhibitors will ABANDON their breed? A lot of people will no longer breed their dogs if they cannot have the breed looking exactly like the one they fell in love with and have exhibited for a lifetime (myself 30 years) because of health issues,threat of tail damage etc ( Dogs with docked tails significantly less likely to sustain tail injuries  = Veterinary Record July 2010)

Its all (or should be) about freedom of choice. Nothing shallow about that!

yvonne bevans

#39 save docked breeds in Northern Ireland

2011-02-11 00:56

We have all been through this in England and surely not Northern Ireland as well . This law must not come into force for the sake of the dog shows as well as the dogs. We all now docking does not hurt or maim babies at 2 days old it is traditional leave it be .
Elaine Smyth

#40 Docking

2011-02-11 11:20

Bring in no docking from a certain date it is silly to stop dogs that have been already docked. This is coming from someone who has one of the only undocked Doberman that is being shown over here. Don't ruin our shows

#41 Re: Support of docking

2011-02-11 17:14

#7: Liz Dunhill - Support of docking  

I will never have a Dobermann with a tail.  I am spending $$$ to take a litter of my puppies to New Zealand to have them docked because the idiot politicians here would not listen to us!!

#42 Re: Re: pure shallowness

2011-02-11 17:21

#38: Angela McNally - Re: pure shallowness 

Has nothing to do with shallowness.  People want thier breeds the way the creators intended them to be.  Entries here in Australia are down.  Registrations are down.  Many long time knowledgable people discontinued breeding.  We all fell in love with our breed due to the way looked.  I love the athletic and streamline look of the Dobe - nothing athletic or streamline about a Dobe with 3 feet of tail on the end.  Undocked Dobermanns do not even move in the way described in the standard nor do undocked Boxers.  I am so glad that these countries who are introducing these bans have everything else going so well - NOT!!!

adam stone

#43 Docking tails is no crime

2011-02-11 22:17

For too long we have allowed ourselves to be dictated to by faceless bureaucrats who know nothing of what we do and why we do it. This is yet another case of a tiny, ill informed minority ruling over the majority.

This post has been removed by its writer (Show details)

2011-07-01 14:14