Save Dog Shows and Docked Breeds In Northern Ireland

Quoted post

Angela McNally

#38 Re: pure shallowness

2011-01-27 01:03

#33: Stuart J - pure shallowness 

No one is suggesting that the economy in Ireland will collapse as a result of a docking ban, the banks and government in Ireland take the credit for that .

You obviously have not checked the facts ! Docked breeds account for at least 35% of entries at dog shows in Ireland. Without this income Dog Clubs cannot afford to run shows;  result = no shows for any exhibitors!

Uk Registrations for working breeds(UK Kennel club comparative tables of registrations ) Rottweilers down 67% on 2006, Dobermanns down 53% Boxers down 35% . This is reflected in entries at UK Championship Shows. Dobermann entries down 31%(Figures calculated by UK exhibitor who compiles figures for the UK breed clubs)

Who said that exhibitors will ABANDON their breed? A lot of people will no longer breed their dogs if they cannot have the breed looking exactly like the one they fell in love with and have exhibited for a lifetime (myself 30 years) because of health issues,threat of tail damage etc ( Dogs with docked tails significantly less likely to sustain tail injuries  = Veterinary Record July 2010)

Its all (or should be) about freedom of choice. Nothing shallow about that!

Replies

#42 Re: Re: pure shallowness

2011-02-11 17:21:41

#38: Angela McNally - Re: pure shallowness 

Has nothing to do with shallowness.  People want thier breeds the way the creators intended them to be.  Entries here in Australia are down.  Registrations are down.  Many long time knowledgable people discontinued breeding.  We all fell in love with our breed due to the way looked.  I love the athletic and streamline look of the Dobe - nothing athletic or streamline about a Dobe with 3 feet of tail on the end.  Undocked Dobermanns do not even move in the way described in the standard nor do undocked Boxers.  I am so glad that these countries who are introducing these bans have everything else going so well - NOT!!!