Keep the Crown Inn, Old Dalby as a public house

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Keep the Crown Inn, Old Dalby as a public house.

2014-08-26 18:10

Villagers need to support this local, vital to the community pub and then perhaps it would not be in this position.

2014-08-27 05:31

The Crown is vital to the community of Old Dalby.

2014-08-27 07:23

My dad had his stag do in the Crown over 50 years ago and my mum turned up too! My grandad Les Conyers had his own bar stool there and never missed a night so there is so much of my family history tied up with the Crown pub for it to be turned into houses

2014-08-27 11:20

It's a lovely old pub, full of character,in a delightful part of North Leicestershire.It deserves support.

2014-08-27 16:02

The pub is supposed to be the heart of a village as well as the church. Unfortunately the villagers these days don't support and of course when closed the complain. Let's hope it stays a pub.

2014-08-27 19:01

A visit to my good friends Barry and Marilyn Pratt in Old Dalby would not be complete without a visit to The Crown, either for a few pints or a good meal-or both! Don't let local history slip away.

2014-08-28 09:00

We live in the neighbouring village and I feel every village should have a pub. It is part of the community the loss of a rural pub is wrong. I feel sad and angered that anyone could even consider removing the pub in Old Dalby. We as a family enjoy visiting this pub as I'm sure do many others. Do not close this pub!!

2014-08-28 09:07

Destroying another rural amenity and breaking the heart of Old Old village

2014-08-28 09:15

Why destroy Old Dalby a lovely rural community and make it a another dormitory urban area

2014-08-28 09:26

It would be a great loss to Old Dalby and the surrounding villages as it is a stopping post for hikers, walkers,Pétanque league games, summer family gatherings, and local community social gatherings.

2014-08-28 14:02

What a shame to see such a beautiful and historic building be threatened by demolition. I unequivocally support this petition for its preservation

Terry Browitt

Hudson QC

Canada

2014-08-28 14:35

This is a lovely old village pub with a great atmosphere in a beautiful setting. We often walk across the fields to it and would be very sorry to see it destroyed.
Holty

2014-08-28 20:05

whenever we have been in there are very few villagers - like others have said the locals only want the pub remaining as they dont want any houses being built.

so Im afraid as an outsider I am not supporting you as this is what happens when you take what was a wonderful pub for granted you pay the price!

thank you

2014-08-29 02:39

We had our rehearsal dinners at the Crown Inn and Old Dalby...it is a special place and it would be a very sad loss if it were to be demolished. A village should have a place where the community can get together to socialize, get to know your neighbors and have fun. The Crown is the epitome of this concept and should be preserved!

2014-08-29 08:04

Places like these are the absolute soul of Britain.

2014-09-01 19:56

The Public House is a great British icon and a national institution. Our lives are all made the poorer with the closure of each one - we should all strive to make sure that no more close. Please sign this petition.

2014-09-02 10:55

Help make it a community pub if there's no other possibilies.

2014-09-03 17:12

To turn this beautiful pub into unnecessary and for many unaffordable
Houses would be travesty and rip the core from this beautiful
Community driven village.
Countrylady

#19 Re:

2014-09-13 15:20

#13: Holty -  

Stupid comment.  Do you personally know EVERY customer from within a few miles radius?  We might not visit every week, nor announce our names and addresses on arrival, but certainly we all would miss this lovely local pub with all the hospitality it provides to our rural community.

#20 To keep it you have to support it!

2014-09-15 10:38

The pub is an important part of the village. 

I have missed the Crown since it's been closed, I was regular.  Not every day but usually a couple of times a week in the bar plus occassional meals (including my company's Christmas meal).

The pub should be reopened rather than being turned into houses, PROVIDED IT IS VIABLE as a business!

Unfortuanately for Mike and Phil the pub was just starting to get established again and was building up a reputation again when, I guess, they ran out of cash.  If the pub is to open again it has to be with the right "hooks" to intice customers in (good food, great beer and social events) PLUS the local community has to suppert it by regularly frequenting it and spending their cash there. 

The new licencee(s) will have to be hot on their marketing to get the footfall as one of the biggest drawbacks of the pub is that it is off the beaten track.  As it is not on the main road through the village prospective customers have be remined it exists and have a reason or need to call in.

I fear that if it opens its doors again as a pub it will be its last chance.  If it fails again I would think that houses on the site are inevitable.

So, thank you all those that have signed the petition in favour of keeping the pub.  One request, if it does reopen USE IT OR LOSE IT - next time for good.

Here's to raising a pint in the bar to our success!

Cheers!

2014-10-13 16:33

The Pub is the heart of the village. Although I do not live in Old Dalby, I visited the Crown on many occasions when my daughter was the manager.

My husband and I have happy memories of lunches and dinners, and good company. Heather Higgins West Bridgford

2014-10-21 09:46

I have visited the pub on and off for 20 odd years since I was a student and enjoyed every visit. It is a travesty if it is turned into houses.
Mark Swindell

2015-04-10 02:58

The pub must be saved.  Its vital to the local community. If Old Dalby loses its pub it will become another one of the lost english villages that has no hub.

I lived in Old Dalby for 5 years and hope to return again soon. 

Maybe the village could crowdfund the purchase of the pub? Does anyone know the current value of the freehold?  The pub adds value all the surrounding houses, including ours!  It must be worth looking into the community funding its survival.