Make sheppey bridge safe to cross

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Make sheppey bridge safe to cross.

2014-07-01 22:54

Make this safe.

2014-07-01 22:55

If they say they cannot do a hard shoulder then do what they do at Dartford. One bridge to get on & one bridge to get off the Island, with speed cameras & speed restriction and the much needed hard shoulder!!! 
Got to be better than the death trap KCC have built. - just a thought and quicker solution.

2014-07-01 22:58

I think it's disgusting what has happened and something needs to be done

#104 Re:

2014-07-01 22:58

#98: -

How many more people/Children need to die before action is taken? If a Government Minister's,or Local Council persons family member is killed on this bridge of ours,maybe our voices will be heard!! It is so sad that a certain percentage of fatalities need to happen before they listen !! When it does not directly effect them,its all down to percentages and figures and budget costings !!
Sickening thoughts,glad i am not a suit in an ivory tower trying to save money and feathering my cap at the expense of innocent peoples lives !! RIP sleep tight those that have to pay the ultimate price for those that take so long to make a decision and implement it.

Hope they sleep well tonight.

2014-07-01 23:01

To loose a friend is bad enough but to know a little boy will wake tomo to never see his mum or big brother again is tragic and sooooo unnecessary !!!!

2014-07-01 23:01

I think a speed limit should be introduced for the bridge as well as warning signs of fog on the bridge lighting would also be a benefit to users at night
misery

#107 Re:

2014-07-01 23:02

#35: -

Of course you can not see over the top of the bridge until you get close to the top, its a hill. And as a car driver you should not be driving that fast that you can not stop in the distance you can see ahead of you.

From the Highway code: 126, Stopping Distances. Drive at a speed that will allow you to stop well within the distance you can see to be clear.

This post has been removed by its writer (Show details)

2014-07-01 23:04

Choose a nickname

#109 Re: The bridge is safe, its poor driving that causes accidents.

2014-07-01 23:09

#100: Misery - The bridge is safe, its poor driving that causes accidents.

On a hill you climb into the undergrowth to escape,on a bridge you cuddle your children and jump from a height into the sea !!

2014-07-01 23:14

Lets make this bridge safer and stop these tragedies from happening.

2014-07-01 23:16

Please do something about this crossing, I've lost my bestest friend and her precious son !

2014-07-01 23:20

My saddest forts are with the family of the lady an
Her lil angel please sort this out this should have
Neva been allowed to happen

2014-07-01 23:23

I no longer live there but my friends and family do and I 100% think this needs to be made safer ♡

#114 Speed camera

2014-07-01 23:26

It's not the bridge it's the idiots that drive to fast. Having speed cameras on a bridge like that is ludicrous it will make people concentrate more on looking for cameras or watching there speed rather than on their driving.
The old bridge is still available for use.
It's a shame the bridge was not designed with an hard shoulder each side but probably was not possible due to location. Lowering the speed to 50mph would not be a bad idea to be honest.

2014-07-01 23:27

Yea that's true but I'm against speed cameras unless outside a school. They are dangerous and there just for money for the gouverment they do not make things safe at all.
People always think throwing a speed camera at a problem will solve it. In pretty much every case speed cameras are used they are to trick the motorist into paying for tickets. Take the one on detling hill that parks up on the top of it. They just sits there because they know that by the time they have been seen it's too late and they have already got you. There's no danger there as the speed camera sits bang on a national speed limit sign where they know people are more likely to start speeding up for the new limit.
Georgina

2014-07-01 23:27

I've lived in Sheerness for a while and the crossing is so dangerous. A massive car pileup and now people have died. How many more tragedies need to happen before something is done? Fog lights at the very least, closing the bridge in bad conditions etc. Speed cameras are a must, they DO make things safe and are not for the government. If you look at some cameras, they actually show how many lives have been saved. They are needed, I have seen people do 100 miles an hour on the bridge.

2014-07-01 23:28

It's not the bridge that's at fault so much as some of the people that use it. It met all of the Highways Agency design & build requirements at the time of construction, had it not then the H.A. would not have approved the project, let alone spend 80 million pounds to build it. The lighting issue was raised while it was being constructed, the regulations at the time did not require it to be lit. It's a dual carriageway as it tied into one on the mainland side & the new road was constructed as one up to the roundabout. The news states that the van driver is being held on suspicion of dangerous driving & that speed may have been an issue, being an A road he shouldn't have been doing more than 60MPH but anyone that has used it know people charge over it a stupid speeds. I agree that something needs to be done but people ranting that the bridge is not up to scratch are just plan ignorant, 80% of UK roads are " out of spec " in some form or fashion as the spec changes every few years. How many people speed down the detling hill part of the a249 & stand on the brakes before the speed camera at Jades Crossing ? Ever noticed the 30 odd year old safety barrier on the verge hanging up on wooden posts ??? Think that would stop you as well as the safety barrier on the bridge ? A woman & her son lost their lives due to the stupidity of another, not a bridge. Hindsight is a wonderful thing & maybe it does need reducing to 1 lane with a speed restriction so there is a run off area if you break down, but that's mainly due to the idiots that abuse it.

2014-07-01 23:30

Such tragic news today thoughts an prayers are with the family..!
Back in 2010 I myself had an accident on that bridge with my 10yr old son but we where lucky some people are not so ..! something seriously needs to be done an put in place before the loss of any more lives ...!

2014-07-01 23:36

Speed cameras are for government a pockets they love people who speed it's the poor sods who are a fraction over the speed limit who get hurt not the idiots

#120 Re:

2014-07-01 23:38

Agree totally

2014-07-01 23:39

Pleasant sign

2014-07-01 23:40

I would sign for a hard shoulder and a lower limit but not speed cameras

2014-07-01 23:40

To have be very close to two family's that have had crashes on this bridge scares me, one was fankfully only injured but the other one I lost two nearly three people that I have loves for years please make the bridge save to no one else has to feel the pain that this family and friends have felt.

2014-07-02 00:05

Something to be done about this bridge it's clearly unsafe

2014-07-02 00:15

For as long as needed x