SAVE THE POOL! - Aspley Halls of Residance, Huddersfield

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition SAVE THE POOL! - Aspley Halls of Residance, Huddersfield.

2014-06-26 19:33

One of the main reasons I chose Aspley Halls was because of the swimming pool. I love to swim and it's a great way to relax and keep fit at the same time!! Studying can be done in our rooms and at the uni itself, so keep the pool!

2014-06-27 07:15

To say I am shocked and angry at this news is an understatement.my daughter is starting at huddersfield university this september.i spent a whole day with her in april viewing all the possible alternatives.she is nervous about having to leave home and the only thing that swayed us towards aspley was the swimming pool that was heavily pushed in the guided tour.to now find out it is closing after everybody has signed contracts is appalling.

2014-06-27 08:48

I feel really let down over this news, the pool was used as a carrot to get us to sign contracts and I feel that the carrot has now been taken away from us. This is a very big change in a young persons life and the more diversions at the start of leaving home the better it must be for them. Also it is a time in their lives when money is short and if they have to go out looking for entertainment it is both expensive and dangerous especially for a young girl.

2014-06-27 09:44

I'm devastated to discover the idea of closing the pool to create social and study space, I can not think of any reason to why they would close the pool unless in the last few years it hasn't been used enough for them to keep it open. Considering the amount of people who are upset over the closing of the pool it would suggest that the majority of us would very much like to use the pool often. I currently live 127 miles away, it's an under-invested and poor area to say the least and so in choosing my accommodation I took great thought and care into it as they were all similar in what they offered but the pool was a big thing that pushed me to aspley. This has been a difficult time for me as I am moving very far away all by myself and to now have this one thing changed before I even move is leading me to feel slightly distrustful towards aspley and I wonder what else they are going to change their minds about. I look forward to hearing what they have to say in reaction to our opinions.

2014-06-27 15:09

Not only they are removing the pool but the gym won't be open until December! they even took the alternative for pool which was the gym for me and took it away! i can't and don't want to stay 3 month for a gym that should be included in my rent and i won't pay more for an outside gym either. this is seriously stupid from CRM

2014-06-28 15:19

I saw the free pool and gym and was sold. Now that there's no pool I'm a bit annoyed. I love a good swim.
Angry parent

2014-06-28 17:59

What a disgraceful way to treat new tenants. CRM should be ashamed of themselves. I don't think many students will be recommending Aspley Hall to others. This will definitely be a bad business move and there is so much local competition now. This will give CRM a bad reputation. They even have the audacity to suggest this is an improvement to the hall ???

2014-06-28 19:17

I am starting university in september and i am very nervous. when i was shown around aspley, i felt like i was going to move into a friendly environment that would me feel at home. not only is there not going to be a pool and the gym is disrupted, i feel they have lost my trust, cheated me, and made my nervousness worse. i only picked aspley over the others because of the pool. if this is happening already before we move in, what other changes should we expect? going into the unknown of university, the least we should expect is to be treat fairly and have our say on the facilities at aspley hall.

2014-06-29 09:29

One of the main reasons we chose to send our daughter to Aspley Halls was the pool. This would give her the opportunity to relax after a hard day of study, as well as the social aspect (the woman from Aspley Hall reception who showed us around told us of the pool parties which the students arrange). She can study in the university, or in her room, she, and the other students, don't need another study area. You sold us the Halls with the promise of a pool. Please don't go back on your promise.
Angry parent

2014-06-29 16:08

If the pool goes we have been miss-sold their facilities and that's an issue for trading standards.
Concerned parent

2014-06-29 17:23

When helping our son to choose his accomodation for his first year at university we looked at lots of options. The main reason for choosing Aspley Hall was the pool as he really enjoys swimming and this is really the only sport he would actually choose to do. My son has Aspergers Syndrome and these changes have caused him a great deal of concern and upset as the use of the pool would allow him to de-stress. I really hope that the decision to close the pool is reconsidered.
relaxed tenant

2014-07-01 10:49

You may all be angry, devastated or upset but have you ever thought about the students staying in Block C where it smells really bad due to the pool.? For me, as a tenant in Block C, it's a great relief.!

2014-07-04 10:58

Save the pool !!
Jack lee

#14 Petition

2014-07-04 10:58

A save the pool

#15 not impressed

2014-07-04 16:54

me and a friend were booking with Aspley but after reading on their website they're getting rid of the pool we're now looking to live somewhere else. The pool was what stood out from the other student halls in Huddersfield.

2014-07-07 10:42

The reasoning behind getting rid of the pool is ridiculous. This year people had to pay to use the pool, so people went and used better pools for their money. If you make the pool free (as you advertised and sold to me) then of course people are going to use it...
I wouldn't personally use a 'social space' as much as I would a pool.
Future tenant

#17 Re:

2014-07-07 10:47

#12: relaxed tenant -

C Block is one block out of how many? Decisions should be made for the greater good of all tenants and not just a single block. Plus, they could fix the smell problem if you kicked up enough fuss about it (I bet they don't advertise that it smells all year round).

concerned parent

2014-07-09 11:52

not good to take peoples money with the promise of a free pool and gym and then to take the facilities away. Makes me think that some money should be held back from the fees until they have been reinstated. Just not fair to do this without asking what the students thought of the idea. I am sure that they would have walked to their next choice of accommodation at a cheaper rate, I am sure that the ombudsman needs to know what is happening here!

2014-07-20 23:33

Started my career here, upset to hear this news. Always said that a small amount of rooms revenue should be transferred to leisure (giving all residents 'free' access) and topped up by a small GP membership base. Breaking even for a small centre like this would be a huge success. May have been an opportunity for sales from residents at the castings also. The centre is now at an age where is needs investment and the spiralling energy costs involved in pools may have gone too far. Nevertheless it is a lovely pool, with good facilities. I do believe that the fact they can't manage it safely, I.e providing competent lifeguards for bathers, may have been one of the issues which resulted in the decision to close.

2014-07-21 20:27

I just don't want to live on a building site.
Satisfied Customer

2014-07-25 13:03

Gutted to be losing the pool, but after ringing the office they told me other accommodations that are being done up by them have got things like cinema rooms and bowling alleys. It'll definitely save me some money rather than heading into town!

2014-11-04 07:34

Save the pool

#23 Re:pool

2014-11-04 07:35

#22: -  

yes, Save the pool