Save Ewell Playing Fields

Bartholomew O'Toole

/ #5

2014-04-04 12:31

These have been magnificent playing fields for football and cricket for many years and remain so, beautifully maintained and played on by keen, talented sportsmen and women all the year round. It would be a huge tragedy to develop the site and deprive the local community of a such wonderful land for recreation simply for the profit of the landowners who, if planning permission is granted, will receive a windfall benefit which they have done nothing to create, which is entirely due to the presence of a local community.   I am wholly opposed to any proposed development other than improvements to the clubhouse and any possible expansion of the football and other sporting activities.  As a football referee I have officiated at the ground many times refereeing Old Salesians who run at least 4 Saturday teams and a Sunday veterans team.   I have always enjoyed a warm welcome from the players and club officers.  The ground is put to good use by local schools during the week.  I have no doubt that all 225 members of the Amateur Football Alliance and London Society of Association Referees, the largest Referees Society in England, which I currently chair, will oppose any housing development.