Save Your Local Business Support

Keith Littlejohns

/ #18 Harrow in Business (HiB) is needed more than ever at this time

2011-02-24 02:58

I used the new business support services provided by Harrow in Business in late 1993 during the last recession. As a result I started my own business early in 1994 that is still trading today despite the current recession we are very gradually pulling out of.

It seems absolutely insane to stop funding for one of the most vital local services that greatly enhances the chances of people, who have all sorts of skills but are currently out of work, to start their own business.

Keeping HiB funded must surely be a win-win situation. Unemployed people who start their own business not only get back their self-esteem but are no longer reliant on unemployment benefit and all the difficulties that raises.

Harrow borough also wins, particularly when a business expands and starts to employ local people, provides services to other local enterprises, in turn uses the services of other local enterprises and also contributes to local taxes.

Whoever dreamt up this crazy idea to stop funding HiB really needs to open up their mind and think through this dreadfully poor decision again.

Harrow has lost a great deal of its commercial sector in recent years. Not only the big players but also many small business I personally know that have moved away from Harrow because of the attitude of the local council towards supporting commerce, and local small business in particular.

Times are hard at the moment and sadly cuts are unavoidable, but this decision just does not make sense for so very many reasons.