FLINTSHIRE COUNCIL ATTACKS WELSH-MEDIUM TEACHING.

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition FLINTSHIRE COUNCIL ATTACKS WELSH-MEDIUM TEACHING..

2011-07-12 18:44

I would like to take a moment and express my heartfelt thanks, for firstly caring passionately about the Welsh language and for secondly, starting a petition in order to save the 5 Welsh schools, within Flintshire.

My Daughter attends Ysgol Gymraeg Mornant, and even though this does not directly affect us at the moment, if things carry on the way they are, who knows what the situation shall be in the near future? My father is originally from North Wales, but my wife & I are originally from South Africa. After looking at the schools on offer in Flintshire, we felt that Ysgol Gymraeg Mornant offered so much more than the English schools in the area. Not only does a second language (The third, for our daughter, as she is learning Afrikaans as well) Offer the children another perspective on things, but broadens their thinking and social skills as well. It is a sad state of affairs that these 5 Welsh schools are under threat. After all they are situated in Wales. As foreigners ourselves, we are firm believers that if you choose to live anywhere other than your place of birth. It is only right to learn the customs and ways of the people whom you have chosen to amalgamate with.
The main drawback in the council’s decision is the fact that the children from non- welsh speaking families, who have chosen to reside in North Wales, will sadly be at a disadvantage. As the level of instruction would obviously be diminished somewhat, in regards to the everyday language the children hear.
The idea to build a “Super school” is absurd, as a parent of a 5yr old and a 3 yr. old, I would be shocked if they had to attended school and be influenced by teenagers, they already have to grow up so quickly and it’s a disgrace that this idea even came about in the first place. I understand that the council feels that the attendance is becoming less in Welsh schools, but surely a Welsh council would be more concerned about this and rather than thinking that joining the schools together was a good idea spend the time and effort to rather promote the Welsh language to the people living within the boundaries of North Wales. What is needed is for all the parents to stick together on this issue, for who knows what major changes are on the horizon, with the state of affairs the way they are now.

2011-07-12 22:51

Mae'n ymddangos fod Sir y Fflint am fynd yn erbyn y gofyn mawr yn ol eu harolwg nhw eu hunain am fwy o addysg Gymraeg. Beth yw'r gwir agenda yn y fan hyn?

2011-07-12 23:44

Flintshhire County Council either does not care about Welsh language education or does not understand it. What is the point of Ysgol Gwenffrwd employing Welsh speakers to work in the canteen and on the school yard to keep the natural Welsh language ethos of the school if there are to be pupils who are educated in English drowning the Welsh speaking children in a new sperschool?

2011-07-13 01:47

I believe that each child living in Wales should be given the opportunity of having a Welsh-medium education. Welsh is a wonderful language and every effort must be made to keep it as a 'living' language for future generations to enjoy.

2011-07-13 11:44

Fe wnaeth Haydn Williams a Moses Jones weithio yn galed i hybu addysg Cymraeg yn y sir dros hanner can mlynedd yn ol.

2011-07-13 19:06

Even as a non-Welsh speaker, having moved to North Wales in 2002, I believe Welsh Medium education is very important and needs to be protected.
Veto Maids

#32 Welsh medium education in Flintshire

2011-07-14 18:01

Urdd Gobaith Cymru was established in 1922 with the aim of protecting the Welsh language in a world where English dominated every aspect of life outside the home. It was established by Sir Ifan ap Owen Edwards who wrote in a magazine in 1922 “These days, in many villages, and in most towns in Wales, children play and read in English. They forget they are Welsh”. Today, the children of Ysgol Terrig, be they from a Welsh or English speaking family, can read, play and converse equally well in both languages. The first local Urdd branch was established in Treuddyn, Flintshire in 1922. Ysgol Terrig will celebrate being established as a Welsh medium school for 60 years very soon. There is far too much history and culture in this small village for Flintshire Authority to have their way and take a backward step to the days of 1922. Thank you to all the people who have signed the petition to keep Ysgol Terrig as it is and please encourage your friends, family members and colleagues to do the same.
Aitch

#33 SAVE YOUR IDENTITY AND SAFEGUARD YOUR CHILDREN’S FUTURE.

2011-07-14 18:28

I am the (English) father of 3 children whose first language is Welsh thanks to their fabulous education at Ysgol Gymraeg Terrig, in Treuddyn. I believe it is essential that Ysgol Gymraeg Terrig and all other Welsh-medium schools in the county of Flintshire maintain their unique and very special Welsh identity. It must not be diluted by forced federation or amalgamation with English schools. Flintshire County Council show a total lack of respect and, worse, a failure to understand what it means to be Welsh and educated through the medium of Welsh.
As stated, I am an Englishman living in your country and it a pleasure to see the passion the Welsh people have about their culture, history and heritage. Sadly, it’s my opinion that the England I grew up in has lost its national identity and I firmly believe that this should not be allowed to happen in Wales.
After attending several meetings with Flintshire County Council officials regarding this matter of Federation or Amalgamation, I am sad to say that I feel that we, as parents and governors, are being at best, mislead or, at worst, deceived.
I ask every parent to sign SYFFLAG’S petition, join other parents AT YOUR SCHOOLS, form a group and join or contact SYFFLAG and let’s stand together to stop this outrageous behaviour before it is too late.

SAVE YOUR IDENTITY AND SAFEGUARD YOUR CHILDREN’S FUTURE.

2011-07-15 02:30

Gyda thristwch mawr y darllenais am y bygythiad i Ysgol Terrig, Treuddyn. Treuliais rai blynyddoedd yno fel Dirprwy ddiwedd y 70au. Er mwyn PAWB, yn blant, rhieni, athrawon, llywodraethwyr a'r gymuned gyfan sydd wedi gweithio mor galed dros y blynyddoedd a chefnogi'r ysgol a'i hamcanion i'r eithaf- MAE'N RHAID I YSGOL TERRIG GADW'I HANNIBYNIAETH! Pob lwc efo'r ddeiseb.

I was shocked to hear of the threat to Ysgol Terrig.  I spent some years in the late 70's as deputy headteacher there. As a tribute to all the children, parents, staff,  governors and the whole community who have supported the school and its aims over the years, YSGOL TERRIG MUST KEEP ITS INDEPENDENCE!

This post has been removed by the author of this petition (Show details)

2011-07-18 17:38

2011-07-18 19:21

Mae nhw'n hysbysebu am brifathro a bygwth gwneud i ffwrdd efo'r swydd! Erbyn ei dalu o'hi i ffwrdd faint o bres fydd yn cael ei arbed?
Welsh Dragon

2011-07-19 17:16

There is ONLY ONE Welsh medium secondary school within the county of Flintshire. Surely this is fed by the current, and only, FIVE Welsh medium primary schools. I am aware that it does also take a number of pupils from English medium schools BUT surely its main intake MUST come from its Welsh medium primary schools. Therefore by undermining and diluting this service what hope is there for our ONE and ONLY Welsh medium secondary school.
It is such a shame on our county's education service that other local councils such as Wrexham are expanding their Welsh medium provision with the talk of yet another school about to be built in the Gwersyllt area. How many such schools have been built in Wrexham since the last one was built in Flintshire?
From an earlier comment, it would appear that Ysgol Glanrafon is full and, possibly, has been full for many of the recent academic years. If so, what has the Education Department done to divert such parents and their children to other Welsh medium schools such as Ysgol Terrig? What, if anything, has been done to encourage parents and prospective parents to send their children to the Welsh medium schools?
Also, it appears that the idea that the numbersd at Ysgol Terrig have been dwindling BUT, in my opinion, this is a red herring as generally over the years they have been constant or increasing.
My final question is this - what is the AGENDA of Flintshire Education Authority and it's member in this scenario?

2011-07-19 17:33

Ysgol Terrig is a great school and if i had not have gone there i would have not been half the person i am today.
Veto Maids

#39 Welsh Medium Education

2011-07-19 23:19

I may have missed them but have the head teachers and governors of the other Welsh medium schools in Flintshire put theirt names to this petition? Remember it is about 'Flintshire Council attacks Welsh medium education' not just about the future of Ysgol Terrig. Or is it the case of 'I'm alright Jack' - at the moment!!!!
We need more names.

#40 Re: Welsh Medium Education

2011-07-19 23:38

#39: Veto Maids - Welsh Medium Education

This petition has been set up by SYFFLAG - Sir y Fflint dros Addysg Gymraeg (Welsh Education in Flintshire).  As concerned parents of children who attend Ysgol Terrig we set up our action group quite recently when we learned that our school appears to be in imminent danger of being forced to federate with the English school or be forced to amalgamate.  All five Welsh-medium schools are represented. It certainly appears that along with Ysgol Terrig, the other school at immediate risk is Ysgol Gwenffrwd in Holywell.

You are absolutely right we most certainly do need as many signatures as we can get. What has been propsed is something we must all stand-up against.

If you would like any more information please go to the SYFFLAG website - www.syfflag.org.

Thank you for your comments and support of SYFFLAG.

#41 Addysg Cyfrwng Cymraeg/Welsh-medium Education

2011-07-19 23:59

Sefydlwyd SYFFLAG er mwyn hyrwyddo addysg cyfrwng Cymraeg yn Sir y Fflint. Mae pob un o'r pum ysgol cynradd Cymraeg yn y Sir yn cael eu cynrychioli yn y grŵp. Rydym hefyd yn gysylltiedig â RhAG (Rhieni dros Addysg Gymraeg), y sefydliad cenedlaethol sy'n hyrwyddo addysg trwy cyfrwng Cymraeg.

Dilyn bygythiadau i ddau o ysgolion cynradd y Sir, mae SYFFLAG yn lobio swyddogion y Cyngor, Cynghorwyr ac Aelodau'r Cynulliad, er mwyn annog y Sir i fabwysiadu agwedd fwy cadarnhaol at addysg cyfrwng Cymraeg. Mae addysg cyfrwng Cymraeg wedi tyfu dros y degawd diwethaf, ym mron pob sir yng Nghymru, fodd bynnag, mae Cyngor Sir y Fflint ar ei hôl hi ac nid yw'n llwyr werthfawrogi neu eisiau deall y pwysigrwydd o gadw addysg Gymraeg a Saesneg ar wahân.

www.syfflag.org

SYFFLAG - has been set up by parents to promote Welsh-medium education in Flintshire. All five Welsh- medium primary schools are represented in the group. We are affiliated with RhAG (Rhieni dros Adysg Gymraeg) the national organisation that promotes Welsh-medium education.

In the light of threats to two of Flintshire's Welsh-medium primary schools, we are lobbying Council officials, Councillors and Assembly Members, to encourage the County to adopt a more positive approach to Welsh- medium education. Welsh-medium education has grown over the last decade or so, in virtually every county in Wales, however Flintshire Council is lagging behind and does not fully appreciate or want to understand the importance of keeping Welsh and English-medium education seperate.

www.syfflag.org

2011-07-22 01:26

It is extremely sad that Flintshire County Council intend to water down the county's current Welsh language provision by amalgamating the Welsh medium primary schools with English schools, effectively taking away our right to choose a Welsh language education for our children. This seems all the more ridiculous when it appears that Ysgol Glanrafon is oversubscribed and that a new Welsh primary school is about to be built in Gwersyllt in the neighbouring county of Wrexham. As a former pupil of Ysgol Glanrafon and Ysgol Maes Garmon, but coming from a mainly English-speaking home, the natural Welsh ethos and community of these schools enabled me to speak the language as fluently as those from Welsh speaking homes and to go on and work successfully as a Welsh Language Officer initially, and now as a Welsh translator. I wonder would this have been possible had I attended a bilingual school? It's vital that we keep Welsh medium education and the Welsh language alive in Flintshire rather than allow it to fade away.

2011-07-23 15:05

Flint Council is disgusting and well know for being anti-Welsh.

2011-07-25 23:22

The Council should be spending to PROMOTE the Welsh language and education, NOT doing the complete opposite. It's utterly insulting and a shameful act.
This is just another example of an English move to stamp out the Welsh language by stealth. I wonder how many with a vote on this actually speak Welsh? and how many are Welsh, with Welsh being their first language.
Delyth

2011-07-26 01:50

Yn anhogoel fod nhw’n meddwl am ‘neud. Waeth iddyn nhw ddweud ta-ta i’r iaith Gymraeg yn Sir Fflint. Mae’n hen bryd i ninnau o’r Dwyrain sefyll i fyny ac amddiffyn ein etifeddiaeth - ein iaith!

2011-07-27 09:17

Mae pobl wedi gweithio'n galed iawn i sefydlu ysgolion Cymraeg yn Sir Fflint. Mae'n hanfodol parhau gyda hyn - er chwarae teg a dyfodol ein plant!

2011-07-27 21:02

I'm English, and proud to be. I now live in Channel Islands and the guernsey-french language is slowly making a comeback but always under threat. Personally I think the Welsh language SHOULD be taught in Wales. It adds to the culture identity of the United Kingdom overall, as well as keeping the language alive. Hope this works out for you.

2011-08-09 17:56

People in Wales have the right to be educated in the language of Wales. Nearby in Wrecsam we have just celebrated the National Eisteddfod, just as we did in Mold four years ago. A celebration of Welsh literature, poetry, music and above all, culture. Can you imagine the impact in the future when the Eisteddfod returns to Flintshire if we merge Welsh and English speaking schools? The future generations would not be able to celebrate the festival as they can now as their heritage becomes diluted. It is a poor argument saying that the merger would encourage the English speaking children to learn and speak Welsh. We know it would not as just as happens now, in order to communicate the Welsh speaking children would naturally divert to English. Keep Welsh language schools, safeguard them at all costs. The current generation has more Welsh speakers than the previous generation because of the push on getting more people to learn the language. A proposal to merge would mean the Welsh language would potentially slowly bleed to death in this area. Please do not let this happen.

2011-08-16 14:50

We have so-called 'bilingual' schools in Powys and they are a disgrace. No matter how hard the teachers work, no matter how hard the parents and the children work, the Welsh streams are always marginalised. This would be an horrific step backwards for Sir y Fflint. Don't do it!

2011-08-18 16:48

Mae'n rhaid i ni wneud i'r Cyngor sylweddoli gymaint o camgymeriad y mae'nt am ei wneud wrth meddwl am imalgimeiddio/federaleiddio ysgolion fath a Ysgol Terrig, hefo ysgolion saesneg ei iaith! Ma'en rhaid rhwystro hyn rhag ddigwydd gan fod addysg gymraeg yn hollol wahanol i addysg saesneg, a ni all y ddau weithio law yn llaw hefoi gilydd heb gwanhau yriaith gymraeg hyd yn oed yn fwy! Mae Ysgol Terrig am dathlu ei benbleydd yn 60 cyn bo hur, felli mae'n rhaid ini ymladd yn galetach er mwyn gadw yr traddodiadau o cenedlaethau barhau i fynd ag i dyfu yn yr ysgol arbennig yma! Ysgol Terrig Cymraeg ydy'r rheol! Cymru am byth.