Save Raigmore Maternity Beds

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Save Raigmore Maternity Beds.

2011-06-15 16:10

ward 9 needs to be saved. Having had both of my kids in Raigmore Hospital, i feel it's very beneficial for ward 9 to be there...please save it

#27 Re:

2011-06-15 16:19

#25: Guest -  

Thank you for your excellent post it highlights the need for the beds to remain in Raigmore. Glad you have recovered and wish you well.

2011-06-15 16:26

I have had 5 kids in that ward! and its far enough to travel to have a baby! it covers the whole highlands and iseland !!! ITs busy i dont see how the justify it!!

2011-06-15 16:33

My daugther was born there - where are mothers meant to go? Not everyone wants or can have a home birth. Some people travel far enough as it is from their homes as it stands. Not every new mother is ready to be kicked out of the ward just hours after giving birth

2011-06-15 16:37

I really cant understand how they can possibly justify the need to close six beds in this over stretched maternity unit. Exactly how are they saving money by closing them?
mum of 8

2011-06-15 16:37

Save the beds in raigmores maternity, they r needed, there is no way they will hope with just a few beds when its busy, when i had my daughter 5 years ago they were struggling to find a bed for me and a cot for her so whats it going to be like if they get rid of beds, dont agree with being discharged after 6 hours, there is no way u could teach a first time mum how to bath, feed and take care of their baby in 6 hours, keep the ward OPEN

2011-06-15 16:47

I remember how stressful it is when you have a poorly newborn, or are poorly yourself, I hope this petition helps mothers and babies. Any shortterm savings will be cancelled out when all sorts of other problems arise as a result of lack of timely intervention.
Anon

2011-06-15 16:50

What happened to a Woman's choice?
If woman are forced to go home after 6 hours what is going to happen to Breast Feeding Numbers ? It's going to drop, that's what! Both mum's and baby's need time to learn this important part of Motherhood, in 6 hours a baby may have only fed once, so there is very little support for other feeds, there is no way the Community Midwives can be there to help at all feeds, therefore more woman are going to give up Breast Feeding, which is shocking especially since Raigmore are supposed to be trying for Baby Friendly Status again.

2011-06-15 17:51

I think it's disgusting that they plan to take away the maternity beds at raigmore and put mother's and babies at risk!!!! I was born in that hospital almost 28 years ago and my mum said she had the best treatment and was looked after well!
Appauled

#35 Baby unit Raigmore

2011-06-15 18:04

To think of closing so many beds in the maternity unit is really worrying, just how far do they want women in labour to travel! The thought of being sent home just a few hours after giving birth will really worry women in labour and just add to the sress of becoming a new mum. Don't do it!!

#36 Re:

2011-06-15 18:21

#24: -  

You were obviously very lucky with your first birth!!! i went to Raigmore hospital to have my first born and the staff were fantastic but i was in no fit state to go home after 6 hours! My son had not even had a proper feed by then. Sadly it will probably take a death of a mother or baby to have this reviewed.  

2011-06-15 19:17

Please sign

2011-06-15 19:39

disgraceful, more of the highland regional cutbacks, education, maternity has this council got a problem with children in general as most of their cutbacks are down to the welfare of our next generation!

2011-06-15 20:22

This service is invaluable, please help us save it!!

2011-06-15 20:38

these proposals are nothing more than disgraceful ! A unit where staff are already stretched to the limit when it comes to accommodating current patients numbers cant provide a high quality service and those who think they can are fooling themselves.

2011-06-15 20:39

raigmore covers such a big area that they should be having more beds not less, i had my daughter there 2 years ago and had to wait 5 hours to be moved up to labour suit as there werent enough beds then!!!!

2011-06-15 20:49

Loosing beds will be a disaster and could put mothers and babies at risk. I have had 3 children at Raigmore Hospital in the last 5 years and next one due this September and my care I received has been first class. I would not want this to change and loosing beds could mean pregnant women and their babies are put at risk.

2011-06-15 20:56

My wife had our 3 kids here and expecting another in September. Discharge after 6 hours would be terrible especially for first time parents. The care we received with all our babies was great but the thought of getting home so soon after the birth would be worrying especially as we live 140 mile round trip to the hospital. Please do not close ward 9.

2011-06-15 21:17

This is a terrible plan that will cost lives

2011-06-15 21:18

A cost cutting life-risking strategy to save money and othing more.. don't be fooled by the smarmy 'This will not affect the standards of Patient care' lie. Of course it does! Whoever proposed this strategy should be made to resign and for agreeing to it the Chairperson of the Highland Health Board should too. it's a disgrace.

This post has been removed by its writer (Show details)

2011-06-15 21:28

2011-06-15 21:36

To all my facebook friends please sign this petition

2011-06-15 21:41

I am due in October and the lack of beds worrys me.
JCR981

2011-06-15 21:53

I have had all 3 of my children in Raigmore. With my 1st child I spent 4 days in hosp to establish my breastfeeding if it wasn't for that I would never have managed. With my other 2 children I stayed 2 nights purely to recover from the labours before goin home to a hectic family life with older children. It was lovely just being able to focus on me and my new baby and thats the support new mums need no matter how many children you have.

#50 Re:

2011-06-15 22:01

#33: Anon -  

I agree with you whole heartedly. I would never have been able to breastfeed my daughter had I not stayed in for at least 3 days until my milk came in.  Like all mothers I was shown how the baby should latch on but it took me 3 days before I mastered it myself. Raigmore maternity unit is a fantastic place and support you get from the midwives is superb.