Enable the choice for light blue graduation gowns back

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Enable the choice for light blue graduation gowns back.

2014-11-13 07:42

If this is for equality, why is the female opinion being ignored? Why can't everyone wear the lighter blue instead of the navy blue? What makes one color more "neutral" than the other? If this is truly for equality, we should be granted the choice of whatever color we want to wear for the graduation ceremony. We only have one high school graduation in our lives. We should be able to choose what color we want to wear.  

#27 I would like to politely dissent! Do not delete this -- we need the discussion!!!

2014-11-14 00:53

The reason there's only one color choice now has nothing to do with gender equality! Rather, it has all to do with senstivity towards people with non-cis gender identities, as well as considerance to the way we uphold the gender binary.

By making light blue an option, I imagine all girls will be pressured to wear light blue, and again the boys will not be the ones wearing light blue out of the stigma against it. You're unfairly putting trans and gender non-comforming students through a lot of anxiety by doing this. Trust me, this is significant and we need to stop marginalizing these peoples' feelings. Due to the pressures to comform with what everyone else is doing (e.g. boys to wear navy and girls to wear light blue), you'll pretty much end up with a graduating class with the boys wearing navy and the girls wearing light blue if you give them the right to choose. This doesn't reflect diversity. This reinforces the gender binarism and discourages people who define themselves in other ways.

By making this an issue of aesthetics, you're ignoring more serious issues.

2014-11-14 02:56

okay but why does this matter

#29 in response to 27

2014-11-14 02:59

I would like to point out that not every girl is planning to choose the light blue, should light blue be brought back as a choice. I have talked to many and they would rather wear navy simply because they like the color. So I do not believe that conformity will be to the extremity that you suggest.

One of the main concerns which resulted in removing the light blue color option is that, like you said, trans and gender non-conforming students that are being put through anxiety over this issue. From another perspective, let’s say that a confident transgender female student would like to wear light blue to her graduation, but is denied this due to the fact that she was born male. Eliminating the light blue color option does not exactly resolve the problem for students in this situation. Instead of getting to wear the color they want, they now have to wear the same color and everyone else would wear it with them.

I strongly believe that all humans are equal, no matter what. That being said, I believe that everyone’s feelings should be taken into account, including those of us who are not transgender / gender non-conforming.

I think that I can speak for many when I say that not having light blue as an option for graduation is causing a LOT of anxiety for us as well (I mean, given the petition signings and whatnot). We strive to make our final year at high school perfect, and the light blue gowns may factor into that equation for some. We took our senior photos in light blue, fantacized about receiving our diploma in light blue, and dreamed about taking pictures afterwards in light blue. After waiting for four years to wear that color, it’s crushing to learn almost into the second semester that this Dougherty Valley tradition is not being continued this year.

I don’t understand how everyone wearing navy will make us more diverse as a whole. After all, we are the same people, just without the light blue color (which added variety).

I’m not going to deny that I don’t think that the light blue color is cute, but this is primarily about having the opportunity that the Wildcats before us had. I think that the reason why #3 is listed as a reason is to point out that this seems like more of a last minute decision, as not even Studio One was informed of the new gown rule. It frustratingly built up something that we were not going to end up having.

So, as many are disappointed with the admin’s decision, we hope to come up with something that will hopefully please the mass majority.

We want everyone to have a choice in what color they wear. Instead of being faced with the question of “Male or female?” which had originally decided what color one would receive, one would simply choose what color you want. As navy was originally chosen by the admin for all 2015 graduates, this seems to be the most gender neutral color. Many males and females at Dougherty are fine with this color and intend to wear it to graduation regardless, so it is a safe choice for anyone. However, if one should opt for light blue, one would have the option. Having a second color choice gives us more of a chance to “define” ourselves instead of being limited to a single color. Having both options satisfies most discontentment.

I accidentally deleted my whole other response, so I apologize if this is messy because I retyped it quickly. I value your opinion and thank you for being polite :)

I did not make this petition, just voicing my thoughts.

This post has been removed by the site administrator (Show details)

2014-11-14 03:05

Satan's assistant Jerome

2014-11-14 03:09

Hi, I go to this school and I'm wondering why I'm seeing so many offensive remarks on this post.  I was personally offended by the posts about black people; as we have too many down here.  I cri everytim.

2014-11-14 03:40

Listing the colors as "Navy or Light Blue" instead of "Male or Female" is not in any way discrimination towards trangender or gender non-conforming students, which was the ORIGINAL issue towards the state of California. 

You keep the tradition going and people are happy with being able to choose whatever the heck they want. 

Whatever happens afterwards (if all boys choose navy or if all girls choose light blue) is not really relevant to this problem. The problem was having to identify with either gender for cap and gowns. This problem is remedied when given the choice to pick. 

Everyone, including admin, is way overthinking this.