Parish Wharf Indoor Bowls

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Parish Wharf Indoor Bowls.

2014-07-01 13:10

Parish Wharf was originally built for ALL the community so closing the Bowls Hall will not allow many local bowlers to participate in their sport during the winter months. I'm sure an alternative to closing the Bowls Hall could be found to satisfy all including the funds of DC Leisure who manage the facility. There should be open discussion to consider options available.

2014-07-01 13:21

It used to be the function of local councils to look after the health and welfare of the local populace as it could not be left to the private sector. What's happened to that ethos Sport for all, not for profit.

2014-07-01 17:21

not only is the loss one of the pleasure of playing, but also of contributing to mental and physical health. it is also a big sample of ageisim as many of us are unable to take part in the many sports activities in this town

2014-07-01 18:33

The whole thing is badly thought out.

2014-07-01 18:48

The proposals are just so unimaginative - no attempt has been made to see what accommodattions could be made. Once the bowls hall is destryed it wilbe lost forever. Suggested income predictions from proposed over expensive development semm highly dubious.

2014-07-01 20:02

once again n somerset council kept their proposal quiet. It is no wonder that voters don't trust the members.

2014-07-02 09:41

The closure of this facility directly impacts on the heaqthy but gentle regular sporting activity of more than 170 people living in Portishead and reduces their ability to join in active sporting participation during the winter months. Many have retired to the town because this facility exists.
Dunner

2014-07-02 13:08

If the indoor bowls is to be closed, because it's not busy in the summer, NSC might decide to close the cricket grounds as they're not used in the winter, or football in the summer, or golf in the winter? These are public services that help to make our town a place worth living in. Are we just going to get more and more Tory cuts?

2014-07-02 14:44

This Indoor Bowls facility is the only one in Portishead and training has been given, voluntarily, to many youngsters as well as older residents. We are constantly trying to keep older people fit who may be unable or unwilling to travel miles to play this enjoyable game,especially in the winter months.

2014-07-02 17:28

Whilst some of us only use the bowls hall in the winter months, we do so more than once or twice a week, and there are many who use it all year round. I would have thought that 170 is an under estimation of the total players from all the clubs, organisations and groups involved.

2014-07-02 18:47

Parish Wharf should be for all ages. The bowling will, quite obviously, not be as well used in the summer but should remain open all year for the benefit of the community. Isn't that what it is there for?

2014-07-03 09:56

I look forward to my indoor bowls , apart from keeping me fairly fit in the winter months, it also gives me the opportunity to keep in touch with all of my friends from Portishead ,which if the indoor bowls is finished It will be a big loss to me .We are told by certain people that we must keep ourselves active ,so please consider your actions

2014-07-03 11:24

My 2 nights bowls a week in the Winter are so important as otherwise it's another 2 nights in on my own. When you're older you do not want to be travelling to other towns to play. Your taking away older peoples sport and social activity.

2014-07-03 14:15

WE have a facility for older members to play indoor bowls and why we ask is this facility being closed, thus depriving a large number of local bowlers a chance to play indoors.

2014-07-03 21:10

I have enjoyed playing in door bowls in the winter time as it is the only form of activity I have.
The organizers of the competition and fixtures are to be congratulated and recruitment of new bowlers in an ever increasing community of retirees.

2014-07-05 23:55

We played there when we visted friends in Portishead and enjoyed the facility.You need more sports venues not less.

2014-07-08 19:12

This facility is very important to many older people especially, who have fewer opportunities for safe and pleasant exercise, particularly in the winter months. There are already several gyms in Portishead so why take away a needed facility and replace it with something already available elsewhere.

2014-07-10 18:49

Bowls helps to encourage the older generation especially ,to keep active & meet people socially.

2014-07-12 18:50

Portishead has just hosted an inter county game between the ladies of Devon and Warwickshire, where at least 50% of those playing were 40 years old or younger. Bowls is a game that can be enjoyed by all age groups and having an indoor bowling facility like Parish Wharf is a very valuable asset in encouraging players of all ages to give the sport a try.

2014-07-14 14:06

Many of the bowlers have had replacement knee and hip operations. In addition others have had heart operations and strokes. This is the only sport available to them as a result of the above. Unfortunately for these bowlers and most pensioners the removal of the bowls hall will mean the remaining parish wharf facilities will no longer be suitable for their use.