save_new_wheel

Stupot

/ #61

2012-04-06 19:29

I and my wife drink in the New Wheel. It is a popular pub frequented by all types from Wrenthorpe and beyond. I am also told that there has never been any bother inside or out for as long as anyone can remember. Anyone who says different are factually wrong. Of course, people have the right to want a Tesco Express in the village if they want but I believe they are being selfish all round. As for all this rubbish about the people at the "school shop" being abusive etc then again I have not seen any of it. But what about the main issues that will affect all in the village and those that pass through it and past the New Wheel.

I am sure all residents in the village will agree it is extremely rare that anyone parks on the New wheel side of Wrenthorpe Road from Roger Lane to the juction with Wrenthorpe Lane. Not even the residents and their visitors. There could be no greater evidence that the average reasonable person believes that parking on that side creates both danger and inconvenience to all other road users. Such a fact must be factor the council planning committee must take into consideration as evidence as to the safety issue.

Any delivery lorry will certainly be a large lorry and there are issues as to how it parks, where it parks and when it parks to deliver to the proposed store. The Highways Act 1980 and the Highway Code both identify issues that the council planning committee must take into consideration. Parking the wrong way, parking in fog, parking within 10m of a junction (the exit from the proposed car park is arguably a junction as a matter of law under the highways Act 1980)are but a few of the issues. If Tesco propose to deliver when parked in the car park then the whole car park area becomes a "delivery area" as a matter of law and Health and Safety issues arise. Also, reversing into the car park by a large lorry whilst cars are parked on the chemist side can again be a serious safety issue. Furthermore, who is to say that Tesco will not decide to deliver whilst parked on the main road in the future. there will be no contract under any planning consent to keep them to their word.

There are more and more issues to be overcome by Tesco which no doubt includes the fact that it is not only people with cars who stop and shop at Tesco Express shops and there like. I have sat outside Tesco at Outwood and there are vehicles of every size parked up whilst the owner shops at the Tesco. Some of those vehicles being parked blocking views at junctions and on the pavement. Finally, I might add that the evidence I have put together shows Tesco in a very dim light when it comes to their responsibilities when delivering to their Tesco Express store under numerous Acts of Parliament as well as there general community responsibilities.

Tesco, are you really the epitomy of modern captitalism, "Sod the rest, it's profits for the shareholders and the board that we care about".