We love our new beach in Seaford

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition We love our new beach in Seaford.

#27 Someone posted this as an idea

2014-02-17 07:59

H

#28 Beach

2014-02-17 08:03

I think we need to be realistic - most of Seaford town is at or below sea level. I am lucky enough to live by the seafront but be above sea level- however vast swathes of the town are not, going back as far as Brooklyn road which is below sea level and many roads go up to the beach eg ringer road, cricket field, west view etc. the beach is not as it was pre 87- there is a lot of beach still left- held in place by granite rocks up against the sea wall- the drop from sea wall to beach was considerably more than a couple of ft as it is now. If the beach was allowed to go back to pre 87 the town would flood... Regularly pretty much every time there is a stormy high tide. Dutch engineers originally advised a groyne arm should be built at Seaford to match the Newhaven lighthouse arm creating a bay - we could've paid for that ten times over in the last thirty years rather than the cheaper option that was taken to bank the beach up with imported pebbles. If the alternative arm can be built I am in favour but if it can't the beach must be banked up again or Seaford will return to being a flood hit town - don't forget the sea has flooded all the way up to st Leonard's before! How businesses would stay in a town that floods all the time??

2014-02-17 08:45

Keep the new beach as it is!
Flood risk? The flood risk moaners can afford their luxury homes on the seafront, then they can fund their own flood defences.

2014-02-17 08:47

It would be lovely to have a sandy beach in the area, it would also bring more tourists and revenue to the area.

#31 Voice of Reason

2014-02-17 09:51

The level of ignorance in participating in this petition is astounding.

It's akin to listening to a coach load of excited school children who have stepped on to a sandy beach for the first time. Thankfully the majority of locals (who have an IQ above the average sand castle) will have concerns at the damage and will lobby the council to see the beach repaired and the seafront protected against further adverse weather.

Let's just wait for the first dog / child / adult to take a tumble off the promenade on to the beach and see how quick everyone is to blame the council for the beach being made unsafe. Or the homeowners opposite when their homes flood.

As for the people who are insisting what's left of Seaford beach is better because it can 'be used again properly' I suggest you take a walk down the seafront on a hot summers day or better still try and get a parking space down there. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the amount of people who manage to use it properly.

2014-02-17 10:22

Long Live The Cheese Block!

2014-02-17 11:02

Since when did the shingle ever stop the beach being accessible. I'm pretty sure last summer it was full. You need to stop making up silly reasons for the beach staying. The only reason you want it to stay is because it looks pretty. That's fine until seaford town floods

2014-02-17 11:32

As Ive lived in seaford all my life it is nice to see all the old beach back almost and it is so much easier to access now than it was with the horrible shingle which you found it hard to walk u.

Instead of getting the sea denfence lorry's in to move the shingle which costs £15 million they should put the old groins back. and leave the beach alone

#35 Re: Someone posted this as an idea

2014-02-17 11:35

#27: - Someone posted this as an idea

They had this idea as a plan but they didnt put it into affect it doesnt have to be one solid barrier it can be split up into sections

#36 Seaford beach

2014-02-17 12:51

The beach looks lovely, just like it used to,but we can't risk the nearby properties. With 20 yrs behind us, maybe there now is an alternative to expensive boulders and shingle.........?

2014-02-17 14:56

We love to see sand on the beach and we need to keep are Beach's.

2014-02-17 17:12

I LIVE ON THE SEAFORD SEAFRONT AND FOR YEARS, I HAVE HAD TO LISTEN TO THE NOISE OF THE DIGGERS AND LORRIES DAILY GOING UP AND DOWN THE BEACH, ITS NOISE POLLUTION !TO ALL OF US RESIDENCE WHO LIVE ON THE SEAFRONT AND HAVE TO PUT UP WITH THE NOISE! its like living next to a building site for years.
THIS TOWN AND SEAFRONT IS WELL IN NEED FOR A NEW CHANGE !

2014-02-17 17:22

MOVE THEN, I'M SURE THE BEACH REPLENISHMENT SYSTEM WAS THERE BEFORE YOU MOVED THERE
The OAP

#40 Re:

2014-02-17 17:24

#17: -

I am sure there is a DVD at the martello tower showing the original construction of the beach in 1987. it said 9 million  and 3 million tonnes of beach material was imported , Well worth the £3 they are charging for it.

THE OAP

#41 Re: Voice of Reason

2014-02-17 17:29

#31: - Voice of Reason

Well said ,

Has anyone had a look at the damage to the last piece of the promenade ,The bit past the terminal groin , It has been severly damaged and the council engineer said it will be fenced off due to public safety concerns , That is exactly what would happen to the sea wall all along the foreshore if it wasnt protected by the pebbles

the OAP

#42 Seaford abundance of Marine engineers

2014-02-17 17:41

The thing I like most about living in Seaford is the abundance of marine engineers ! who all have the solution to the issues of our promenade , Talking to each off them who all "claim to have the solution" …… but not one solution is the same! ….I guess I am lucky to be surrounded by experts because when the money is available they can all sort it out and argue who's solution is the best!

Maybe the EAs solution is the best and most affordable option at a annual cost off £300k , I find it amazing where people quote 3 or 4 million annual spend to shore up our foreshore . I wish the EA would correct the uneducated members who post ridiculous comments in the local press, The man from Denton Mr J skinner pipes on complete drivel on a almost weekly basis , I find it boring and pointless reading his posts a waste of column inches in the local press it is embarrassing he must be an only child who craves attention! My understanding is the EA won't even respond to his on going drivel !

#43 Re:

2014-02-17 18:07

I KNOW factually that the EA carry out the replenishment TWICE a year taking 5 weeks each time. There is a bulldozer parked at the Yacht Club for emergency repairs which includes pushing ramps for the use of the Yacht Club launching their boats and also the fisherman at the far end of the beach.

#44 Re: Cost

2014-02-17 18:31

#3: -

Millions ?   Real cost £300k

#45 Re: Beach

2014-02-17 18:43

#28: H - Beach

The drop from the promenade was 6 mtrs  or 20ft in old money ,The sea wall was failing and a solution was found by Southern Water  at a cost off 9million pounds it was designed with a 10yr life expectancy , it has lasted 26 years so well done to the guys who decided this was the correct sea defence , Who in Seaford has flooded since it was built in 1987 , Some of the older residents will tell you of sea water in the salts and outside the post office the wellington public house, and many low lying areas, unfortunatly no one wants to hear this and think that there is a easy fix ,What we have now is the most cost effective flood protection , Well done to the EA !

2014-02-17 18:53

Has anyone been down the beach in the last two days ?. OVENDEN plant are making a lovely job of repairing the damaged sea defence. A massive Thank You from Seaford

2014-02-17 22:33

We have a great opportunity now to do something amazing for Seaford now, a popular usable beach can only improve the local economy in so many ways!
Sally

2014-02-18 00:32

The breakwaters need to be rebuilt and made a lot stronger. Not only to they decrease the size of the wave they are much more attractive than a beach covered in dust and dog poo (top section). Ive lived next to Seaford beach all my life and it was truly a joy the other day to see my memories emerging from the stones. Please save the beach :)

2014-02-18 01:23

Please leave the beach as it is , it's like the old times like we have gone back in time everyone wants it to be that way we have waited years for this beach to go back to the way it was so please please don't change it again x

#50 Re:

2014-02-18 06:04

#48: Sally -

Hi Sally , The breakwater on the west only offers limited protection from SW winds,The terminal groin at the east end of the beach is only there to collect shingle so it can be harvested and moved to where it is required to best protect Seaford , The Terminal groin offers little or no protection from SE winds, The Beach that all our experts claim has just gone  has simply been blown iinto Tidemills and is now being moved back by trucks over the next five or six weeks . I was told the Coastal Survey team will be there Tuesday to map exactly where our beach is and make sure the contactor puts the material where it will be required to be a effective Sea Defence.