We love our new beach in Seaford

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition We love our new beach in Seaford.

2014-02-16 19:27

A total new approach is needed for our beach it is needed urgently

2014-02-16 19:30

Another suitable sea defence must be found, so our rediscovered beach can stay for all to enjoy

2014-02-16 19:34

Can we look at the sea defence option taking place in Swansea Bay as a suitable alternative to EA replenishing the beach every year costing millions to the tax payer

2014-02-16 19:39

Seaford beach has now returned to how it was in 1986 before the beach was wrecked due to so called 'sea defences'. Please keep the beach how it is now and find an alternative solution for sea defences. The way the beach is now would attract much needed tourism to the town and create new business. Back in 1986 we had tourist shops along Dane Road and a Cinema. After 1987 we had an awful beach and the shops went. We now have a Morrisons.

2014-02-16 19:47

It would be a lot nicer to keep the sandy beach for the young and old residents in Seaford.

#6 Picture?

2014-02-16 19:50

I'm temporarily living outside Seaford and quite liked the beach as it was. Perhaps posting a picture (to this petition) of how the beach currently looks would give people out of town (e.g. at university and so on) would give us an idea of how this "new" beach would look

2014-02-16 19:51

We have put up with this for long enough,we should be able to access our beach at all times,an alternative sea defence must be found,and the money found to do so

#8 beach

2014-02-16 19:56

build a artifical reef or breakwaters as in the plan in the 1800s

2014-02-16 20:04

So important for the town that investment is made in the seafront with a view to attracting all ages and not just the elderly.

2014-02-16 20:30

The best thing to happen to the town for many years

2014-02-16 21:00

Finally

2014-02-16 21:16

Get a decent, permanent sea defence sorted and stop wasting time and money on the shingle, which looks ghastly and ruins access to the beach.

2014-02-16 21:32

To see the warm welcoming beach of my childhood return is amazing. To lose it once more to the bland, unwelcoming, unstable shingle banking and the huge machinery that presides over our beach for weeks on end, will be a sad loss. It seems to be an unpopular waste of public money, labour intensive and unsucessful. Surely we, as a town, can get together to try and find a more sustainable and hopefully sucessful, less intrusive solution - after all we do pay to have our beautiful beach destroyed!

2014-02-16 21:51

I am only 16 so do not remember Seaford beach like this before. However my mum and friends all feel like it's their childhood coming back. And I feel like this is a rebuild for Seaford. I think it looks stunning, and there are plenty of other ways to prevent flooding:)

2014-02-16 21:52

We've lost Newhaven beach so let's keep Seaford sandy!

2014-02-16 21:53

No comment

2014-02-16 22:05

I can't believe the naivety of you all. £12m was spent on the original sea defences. If there were suitable alternatives they would have been used in the first place. It's all well and good seafords beach looking so lovely and the sand being nice to walk on, I agree, but seaford town will flood. They wouldn't waste so much money on the original defences if we were fine without. People who are saying there are alternatives- please be constructive and list these

2014-02-16 22:35

Alternative defence should be used, one that will be cheaper, i.e to build defence wall like Rhll pleasure beach, instead of cost of putting shingle back and yearly beach building.. Which not going to last

2014-02-16 22:40

Without the shingle sea defence the town wasn't flooded, so why do we need this eyesore? If you live on a sea front, you should realise that there are storms and you may be affected by them. If you buy a house with the name "River Cottage" you should be prepared for flooding, same goes for a property called "Sea View".

Create a reef out in the bay to deflect some of the wave power.

2014-02-16 22:52

I love the beach now the gravel has gone, it looks so much better, it felt more like a seaside , and has so much more appeal.If the gravel comes back which is a waste of money,we are back to having a boring beach.!!

2014-02-17 00:31

The problem is that we are not aware of the cost of other options and also what the other options are. The environmental agency and town council need to produce some information for us all to view as to why the tax payers money is being used to shift the shingle back up the beach every year. I agree that many of us want to keep the beach as it is and are being neive as to the bigger picture but without this information accessible to us as to why and what other options there may be we will continue to moan like kids as to why they are going to return the beach to a unusable, steep and unattractive beach.

#22 From a Seaford Resident - Let us keep our beach AND have good flood defences!

2014-02-17 00:49

We need reliable flood defences, quickly - yes! - but the old solution of artificially banking up imported pebbles into huge "mountains" which prevent us using the beach or getting to the sea, no longer works as an effective flood defence. I'm asking the Environment Agency NOT to spend "mega-bucks" on re-installing a "sticking plaster" which is no longer effective! The economic benefits to Seaford, as well as the recreational ones, will be vast if a sustainable and more acceptable form of reliable flood prevention is put in place! Please let Seaford keep the beach which recent dramatic weather has restored to us. But please also keep people and property safe in our unpredictable climate. Thank you!!

2014-02-17 07:09

My grandad has always been a fantastic swimmer & would swim most of the year around when the beach was accessible. He hasn't swam in many years or enjoyed the beach as he's not been able to navigate the steep hills built up. If he was well enough, he could now access the sea & do what he loved.
I also believe that building up the rubble is a massive waste of money when the recent whether has shown that it's obviously not an effective defence. Perhaps the money should go on an alternative method & one that keeps our beach accessible to all.

#24 Re:

2014-02-17 07:31

#23: -

By alternatives, i think those in power & making this decision should look at other seaside towns with defences in place & still accessing their beaches. There are many examples all over the uk.

#25 Re:

2014-02-17 07:34

#17: -

At last, someone with common sense.