Eddisbury Square parking charges in Frodsham

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Eddisbury Square parking charges in Frodsham.

Bodie

#101 What a disgrace

2014-02-04 12:11

Frodsham is short enough on parking without putting these restrictions on the square. I very often nip into the factory shop for a mooch after work.. pick up cheap toiletries from home and beauty and a takeaway from ej's ....
wont be happening again will it!!! I am disgusted....this is a village that is thriving when others are full of empty shops we should be helped to keep these shops going not fined for it!!!

2014-02-04 12:37

It would be more appropriate to charge for stays of more that 2 or 3 hours on the station car park. It would seem that people park the car in the morning, take the train to work and return in the evening. It can be difficult to park anywhere in Frodsham after 9am.

#103 Eddisbury Square

2014-02-04 16:29

If I remember correctly the Town Champion stated in the Chester Chronicle that Sainsbury's will be great for Frodsham because although our local independent stores can compete on price they can rarely compete on convenience. NOT SO CONVENIENT NOW ARE THEY! Oh and by the way there is always free parking outside Overton Village Store.
Concerned local

#104 Shameful

2014-02-04 18:46

Having read the British parking association best practises guidelines. UKCPS is not meeting some fundamental guidelines.

The use of ANPR must be clearly signed at the entrance and inside the car park. This is not currently the case. There must be a non-premium rate number to allow people to contact them without them making the company more money, on call charges. This is not currently the case. The charges must not be punitive and although the guidance says, charges would not be expected to be more than £100, it does not say this is appropriate, it is a maximum.

As the car park is free, the loss of profit from someone staying longer than the two hours, is factually £0. As no charges are made to park for the first two hours, no earning are lost from someone staying longer. These are just a number of the many and various issues with this heavy handed practice. Charges are meant to be for the re-claiming of losses, not a revenue stream.

The issues here, are not with Sainsburys. The land owners signed the contracts with UKPCS and have given UKCPS the authority to put these practices in place. The issue needs to be taken up with the management company.

Until then, I personally would recommend nobody drives their car or walks on the private land, that is Eddisbury Square! we have already seen a number of parking invoice notices being sent out, this will be the tip of the iceberg, as most people will simply pay. People from out of town who will be receiving these notices and deciding to never return, we will never know just how many till the damage is done!!

2014-02-04 19:05

The parking enforcement that has been put into place is seriously affecting the church street businesses, as a staff member at hales fruits I can see first hand what it's done to the surrounding shops, it is unnecessary and quite frankly it isn't solving problems but creating them

2014-02-04 23:34

As a small business owner in the town i find it incredibly sad that people are suggesting that they boycott the small independent shops. Please continue to support the town, there are other places to park and people appreciate your custom.
The shops in the square already have a new supermarket to contend with, they need your help whilst they try and get something done. They will still have to pay rent/rates whilst this mess gets sorted out, judging by the landlords actions so far he wont be particularly helpful.

2014-02-05 06:03

There are only 2 independent retail shops in ESquare, the optician and newsagent. The rest, excluding charity shops, are regional or national (not local) profitable chains who should wield a lot of influence with the landlord.. These retailers need to respect their valued customers by lobbying the landlord on this matter. Vote with your feet in the meantime.

2014-02-05 08:06

Will some of you lot listen to yourselves? Firstly there's 3 indie shops in Eddisbury Square - the above mentioned two and a pizza shop. Bargain Booze is also not a chain as such - there will likely be a franchisee in place. So it seems from the tone of these comments that due to some heavy handed tactics by a landlord who needs to take their head out of their @rse, everyone with retail presence in and around the square has to endure a mass boycott? Yes it's shady, yes it's underhand, yes it's unfair... however I cannot believe that some people are moaning about not being able to park 3 yards from the chip shop door anymore. You can always park on Main Street and walk 100 yards round the corner until this debacle is sorted out. Why make local businesses suffer for something they have no part in? Imagine how they must feel..retailers in the square are forced to have to pay service charges to the landlord, which ironically may be being used to part fund this very scheme. If people ultimately want to have a town without shops both in and around the square, carry on boycotting. Hope you'll be pleased with yourselves sat in your warm cars when the place looks like a ghost town. Stop being muppets. Carry on supporting local businesses.

2014-02-05 17:50

It is affecting local business and this opposes the traditional nature of our market town

2014-02-06 15:01

I can understand a two hour limit during the day, but I cannot see the value in restrictions after 6pm. People have parked in the square when going to evening events at the Parish Hall as it is the safest parking around. A friend of mine has been given a fine for doing exactly this. Ridiculous!
And if the restriction on leaving the site is strictly observed then people parking to go to the chip shop will be penalised. Bonkers!
I for one intend to boycott Sainsbury's when it appears and I shall go in and tell the manager why and also write to the Head Office.

2014-02-06 15:43

As a Helsby resident I will no longer be shopping in Frodsham anymore. What a way to kill off one of only a handful of thriving market towns - shame on CWaC and Frodsham Town/Parish Councils for selling the town off in this manner!

#112 Re: MOUNTING HYSTERIA OR WHAT?

2014-02-06 16:29

2014-02-06 16:59

I was Helping my daughter move stuff into her new flat above a shop in Eddisbury Square during the beginning of Jan and got ticket for £60! It claimed that I stayed there 2 hours and 10 mins but in fact I was back and forth from Mouldsworth with the rest of her stuff and stayed mins in between dropping stuff off although they are saying I was parked there and did not move. There was no camera to be seen, all this has been done sneakily to catch the good people of Frodsham out..theres been a lot of elderly people caught out ... People who have not got the money to be paying these daft fines... So be aware when in Eddisbury sq the only camera I could see was the side of the old coffee shop..have made full complaint to cpuk parking.. In e words of John Lennon 'power to the people!'

2014-02-06 17:13

The problem with Frodsham is that most of the parking fills up quickly. Station Car park is almost impossible most days but (contrary to what Mason Cash say) you can nearly always get a space in Eddisbury Square, unless it is Market Day. Since these new rules came in I have been once to Frodsham. As I wanted to go to Hales and some other shops I went to the Station Car park and was very lucky to get the only space as someone was leaving. If they hadn't been I would have gone back to Helsby, where I live, and shopped in Tescos. In future I will think twice about risking wasting petrol and just go to Tesco.
frodsham resident

#115 ACT WITH YOUR FEET

2014-02-06 19:10

when rightway opened on Eddisbury Sq. I thought what a convenience rather than go all the way down to the garden cenre...well all is forgiven Joe Halpin I SHALL BE COMING BACK TO YOU with immediate effect and your convenient car parking

Mr F

#116 Sainsburys

2014-02-06 20:44

This is Sainsburys way of getting themselves a guaranteed parking area to compete with Morrisons.
I can't believe that a company can just come in and change the way a town operates, just to boost their profits.
If anyone thinks this is for the benefit of the other shops in Eddisbury square, they are vey much mistaken. If anything, they will be worse off.
People will go to sainsburys, do their shop, get back in their car, re-park it in Main Street and have a look round the shops down there without worrying about parking fees.
Local

#117 Subject

2014-02-07 09:25

So now I find (if it wasn't bad enough before) an increasing amount of Double Yellow / Pavement Parking in town. We do not have "Pick Up/Drop Off" lanes in Frodsham. What we do have is Church Street becoming more congested and dangerous. Why can't people (public/business) just use the appropriate public & business parking? Petition is one thing, but a boycott to the detriment of other businesses is not helpful.

2014-02-07 11:49

These charges make me very angry, the signs are not very visible . If the intention is to stop people leaving the car all day, and using the train I can understand that. But to penalise local people using local shops is madness. Surely common sense should come into play or does the landlord expect people to use the few shops in Eddisbury square and then go and park elsewhere to continue their shopping. 2 hours parking restriction is more than enough time for local people to shop . It's just a way to make easy money off local people who up until now have supported the local economy but for how much longer ?

2014-02-07 11:52

The new parking restrictions at Eddisbury Square will harm Frodsham. This will encourage people to shop out of town. All businesses need to work together for the benefit of our community. The owners of Eddisbury Square are only motivated by self interest and are not concerned with the prosperity of Frodsham.
Angry Resident

2014-02-07 14:25

I've lived in and around Frodsham for over 35 years and have never seen such stupidity. I'll pay the cost of petrol and drive to Helsby Tesco's or Asda in Runcorn before I 'chance' being charged for supporting the local shops, bye newsagent, bye Factory Shop. Hello to the Fish & Chip shop on the Main Street!

2014-02-08 11:42

Off to shopping city where I can (a) park for free (b) park for free under shelter when the weathers poor (c) park for free and visit a wide range of shops both inside and around shopping city without being treated like a criminal! Result I will now spend my money supporting Halton Borough Council and shops in the area rather than my hometown of Frodsham, how sad.

I understand that strict parking restrictions have also been placed in and around Helsby railway station resulting in nearby residents experiencing problems with people parking in the streets instead of using the station car park. Aren't residents local to Eddisbury Square now going to experience exactly the same problem?

If a 'system' has to be introduced then surely a period of consulation has to be engaged with local residents and potential customers (yes CUSTOMERS we are the ones you're supposed to attract not turn away) and like many who have commented a system of payment with an option to redeem your ticket price in exchange for using one of the shops would seem logical, however this would of course mean that the owners would have to pay to install ticket machines, I get the impression that they would much rather take the money than spend it!

All in all a pretty sad state of affairs which reflects badly not only on Eddisbury Square but I fear on Frodsham as a whole, as people look to find alternative parking its just a matter of time before Morrisons etc will have to react by applying further parking restrictions particularly on market day.

Frodsham a historic market town? I fear Frodsham as a market town will become history....

2014-02-08 16:37

Whilst not opposed to time restricted parking in this carpark I do object to the draconian regulation of not being able to leave the precinct within that time. It is apparent that this has all come about because of the Sainsbury development so I will not be shopping there nor probably at the other shops in the square if I have to park elsewhere. There is then the problem of Sayers. I will no longer be able to park in the square and have my customary drink and snack in Sayers as I would have to leave the car park to access their door although they are part of the Eddisbury Square development. This of course also applies to the adjacent 3 shops in Church St as they also have no direct access from the car park so I would be in contravention of the regulations to shop there.

2014-02-08 16:56

The 2 hour rule in the evening is outrageous, I have received a ticket for 45 mins over, I will not pay it!!
EX SQ USER

#124 the square

2014-02-08 20:30

I HAVNT SEEN ANY COMMENTS FROM ANY OF OUR LOCAL COUNCILLORS
AS USUAL
ONLY SEEN AND HEARD ON RUN UPS TO ELECTIONS
one of the `lot`

#125 Re: guest 108

2014-02-08 21:08

#108: Guest -

i wonder whose side your really on?