Flooding of Maidenbower/Furnace Green bridleway

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Flooding of Maidenbower/Furnace Green bridleway.

2014-01-31 20:40

I wrote this on Twitter:@surreymirror @BBCNews : http://www.petitions24.com/flooding_of_maidenbowerfurnace_green_bridleway @networkrailPR need to act on this urgently. Flooded tunnel at maidenbower/tillgate.

2014-01-31 20:52

It makes going to work a nightmare, please sort this problem.

#28 Re: Subject

2014-01-31 21:46

#25: Choose a nickname - Subject

I agree... I came on this to check and comment and saw your's...the school should provide a minibus service until the matter is resolved permanently x

2014-01-31 22:19

If this is how u get to oril school
Then one my friends has contact henry smith it as she asked me how to get inconact with him.as she worried there will be accident there if nothinl done about it so I hope thing get sort out so kids can get to school safely

2014-01-31 22:21

Please sign this petition to stop the kids at Oriel for having to struggle to school because the tunnel is their lifeline.

2014-01-31 22:41

we live in the road and much prefer the tunnel being shut as drivers dropping their kids off and parking in our road to use the school is a massive pain and park in the most inconvenient of places.. how about as parents you take some responsibility in making sure your child makes it to school rather then making them make their own way in such bad conditions

2014-02-01 01:08

Always we hear dont drive children to school get them to walk!

2014-02-01 05:29

It's about time they did something about the tunnel. My children used to walk that way and it constantly flooded , that was a good two years ago . school children are having to wade through water and sit in wet clothes for something the rest of the day , this cannot be good for them.

2014-02-01 06:51

This needs to be addressed and resolved ASAP. The responsibility lies with Network rail, all be it the fact that it's "use" has changed from when first built. This has been an ongoing problem over the years and cannot be allowed to continue by passing the buck backwards and forwards to WSCC. The delay in resolving this is causing more traffic in and out of Maidenbower at the busiest time of a working day.

2014-02-01 07:21

Surely all this standing rain water is a hazard for people using the tunnel but most importantly for the stability of the train tracks above!!

#36 Re:

2014-02-01 09:54

#31: -

I understand that this is frustrating for house owners, but most of us picked Oriel because of the access.  It takes my daughter half an hour to walk to the tunnel alone, and having to walk all the way around would take her 90 minutes.  It is not safe for her to leave home walking before 7am when it is still dark.  I DO take responsibility and drive her and her friends round to the school at the moment, but it takes me 50 minutes to get there and back home.  This is not practical if I need to get to work. The tunnel is the only safe way through for some children, so saying you prefer it closed is a selfish attitude which is putting the children at risk.

2014-02-01 12:27

Disgraceful that this long running saga has to continue. The tunnel was closed for long enough last year for suitable drainage to be installed
Hiba

#38 Re:

2014-02-01 15:37

#22: -

Thank you, Mr. Crow all efforts are welcomed. I am happy to hear that you have been working on it. Even though the feeling may be that we can't speed this up, I would like to advocate that we can and with the support of the community via this petition will endeavour to do so.

2014-02-02 20:33

It's been a problem for too long and is now worse due to the construction works.

2014-02-02 21:13

Although does not affect me daily, I do use the tunnel and will be sending my Daughter to Oriel in due course. Please look into a solution.

2014-02-02 21:43

Its about time this was sorted. Was a problem when my daughter was there 2 years ago.

2014-02-03 06:54

Of course it's important for Oriel students but it's also a route to work for some. It causes even more Maidenbower traffic too.
AngryBird

2014-02-04 08:28

You can clearly see water running off of the embankment down into the tunnel every time it rains. How much longer before Network Rail do the decent thing and admit responsibility and sort this out? It's gone on long enough!

2014-02-04 14:46

All the LA of Crawley are showing is that they don't invest into young adults, I hope when they get the right to vote they reflect on what the LA now ...... Keep the faith and have your voice heard people

2014-02-04 14:49

No one is taking responsibility..its unsafe for the school children and i have already filed a complaint about this to the council.

2014-02-04 15:07

i think is about time someone did something about that bridge
Jason Hill

#47 Footbridge

2014-02-04 15:09

maybe the time has come for a footbridge linking Furnace Green/Tilgate with Maidenbower, initial cost may be higher but the need to attend and pump out and repair every year would negate this, thus enabling our children uninterrupted access to the school

2014-02-04 15:09

Many children have taken the decision to remove their socks & shoes & walk through the tunnel....this concerns me greatly as its only a matter of time before a child is seriously injured

#49 Re:

2014-02-04 15:13

#31: -  

If the tunnel is shut, more kids will be driven to school thereby increasing the problem in your road.

2014-02-04 15:15

My son is in year 10 and this tunnel has continuoulsy flooded during this time, parents of older children and Maidenbower residents state the problem is historic. It takes an hour to walk the alternative route and driving through the traffic problem caused by this problem still means late arrival to school.I'm loosing money at work, spending more money on fuel and my children are loosing hours of education. Now we have brought new welly boots (more expense)but with the water an inch from the top of them there is no guarentee they can get through every time. During the inconvenience of the tunnel being in closed in Dec12 it was naturally accepted that the flooding issue would have been addressed at the same time of the bridge extention and not that it would make it far worse than ever, regardless of the weather conditions of late, this tunnel has been flooded on occasions when it was least expected. I chose the school for my children because of it's excellent education, unequalled standards locally and easy walking distance, NR are letting our children down, this needs a permanent solution not just a quick fix with another pump out please.