#Black Arts Matter - Save The Drum

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition #Black Arts Matter - Save The Drum.

2016-04-03 08:56

I am devastated that this can be happening when there is so little in the arts for minority groups to relate to in Birmingham. This would be travesty if this were allowed to disolve. I moved away from Birmingham for some time now and look forward to retuning to a vibrant city with events that i can enjoy with my family. We cannot allow this to happen, please save this superb and very much appreciated venue with all that it has to offer.

2016-04-03 09:02

Birmingham is one of the most diverse city and the drum is a significant venue in the city where those differences in cultural art and performers are shared by Black and other minority culture's for the development of the community by education for the preservation of those cultures and the generation to come which should be celebrated not destroyed.

2016-04-03 09:14

I live in Aston and I have always supported the Drum.

2016-04-03 09:22

We need to stand together as a community and save venues like this.

2016-04-03 09:39

Because I would like to support a good cause and I have attended many functions seminars events at the Drum and it is a well used venue. It will be a loss to the community therefore we must stand together and do what we can to retain this resource.

2016-04-03 09:52

It's important that this is retained in the community for cultural & artistic purposes.
The gallery space should be used to exhibit the work of of up & coming BAME artists.
This space could be run better.
So yes, maybe the existing board should resign & a new business model adopted.
As yet again, a black run enterprise is going to the wall, the Asian spaces, no matter the size, always get used & work out how to fund themselves.
The same ole problem with us.
Low wages, which does not attract people with the right skill set. The staff become jaded as they have too much workload & are poorly paid.
The leaders are power hungry & don't know how to engage and develop staff. Then the organisation suffers and does not grow, then has to close.

2016-04-03 09:53

The drum is an excellent venue for meetings, conferences, talks, drama, dinner and dance and much more. Genesis just started keep fit training there. The drum has parking too.

2016-04-03 10:01

It needs to remain open. It needs investment. It needs sustainability. It needs our support.

2016-04-03 10:14

Because I believe the provision is an important one, that should not be lost. Arts should not just be available for the middle classes and those that are privileged enough to afford it. Everyone should have th opportunity to experience the arts in its many guises.

2016-04-03 10:17

The Drum is a vital cultural asset for the entire community in Birmingham and the country. The only dedicated venue for Black culture to freely express itself.

2016-04-03 11:16

I go drum intermittently
great place. ..great venue. ...for the black community.
However why so long to raise awareness? ?!!

Hope it's not to late. .....apathy is s killer of development

#87 Re:

2016-04-03 11:18

#2: -  

Agree

2016-04-03 11:24

It does not make sense that it can't be financially viable.

funding is there for successful projects. 

I am ignorant of the historic details nd wld love to understand why is in this position.

It's a shame for our culture. ...

2016-04-03 11:35

Because we deserve to have a place where our culture is expressed and shown to us in a positive way so our young people can grow with some positivity rather than the negativity that is always shown in the media!

2016-04-03 11:41

Black Arts Matterr :-)

2016-04-03 11:47

The only venue where you can go to a stage show and a culture dance that finish late.

2016-04-03 12:41

I feel it would be a real shame if the Drum had to close due to all the good work that takes place their it plays a beneficial role within the Community! We need the Drum to remain open!

2016-04-03 12:47

The Drum provide a culture range not provided by other venues.

2016-04-03 12:59

To support what's left of our culture of ethnic society.

2016-04-03 13:16

I hve been going to events held at the drum for many years now its historic for our culture history worth saving

2016-04-03 13:21

The drum is a much needed arts and cultural venue on the city
Many years ago I used to be part of the fantastic weekend jazz that used to take place there. It was a shame when that went and would be more like a disaster if the Drum was to fold.

2016-04-03 14:02

BLACK PEOPLE NEED THIS PLACE WE DON'T HAVE MUCH COULTURELY IN THE UK TO CHIPING AWAY AT WHAT LIES DEEP IN ARE DNA BY VISUALLY REMOVING PART OF ARE HEART IS DESIGNED TO DESTROY UK WOULD NOT CLOSE THE BRITISH ESTABLISHED HISTORY FORUMS SHOWING ARTEFACTS.....

2016-04-03 14:03

Because I feel there is not enough projects like this if any at all for the black community it offers many different opportunities for young and old to part take in if this place was to go there would be nothing for the young community to be apart of and also programmed that are run there allows young people to stay positive and prevent them getting into trouble on the road it's somewhere that has alot of inspiration and effort going the it, I would not like to see the drum go as it has been around for so many years from I was a young child.

2016-04-03 14:12

This place hold a special place in my heart growing up in Newtown and having the previlliage of performing their on a few occasions. We can't stand by and let this happen all the youth clubs closed now this so sad

2016-04-03 14:15

I think it is so unfair that we as Black people have so little to show for our contribution to this nation and its economy. The Chinese have a whole quarter in Birmingham. Other Asians have countless mosques and centres. My question is why is the Black
Community neglected and ostracised from grants and bursaries to support our community? Austerity? But we are not all in it together when the politicians give themselves 10% pay rise and the rest of us just have to put up, shut up and suffer!