Prevent Aldi building on the former Dairy Crest site in Epsom

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Prevent Aldi building on the former Dairy Crest site in Epsom.

2016-01-09 13:43

I am not against Aldi as a business but this is not a suitable site to put a supermarket. The 5 ways junction is already very busy and difficult to cross, particularly with so many children crossing every day to reach the near-by schools and nurseries.
Traffic is already queuing for the doctors & surgery next door. Many patients are young or elderly or infirm and do not want to be queuing in the Aldi traffic.
It is a residential area and should remain so. There are other suitable sites around the area for Aldi.

2016-01-10 09:54

I am a local resident and I'm well aware of the existing congestion around this dangerous junction. To add such a large retail site would exacerbate existing problems and gridlock the surrounding area.

2016-01-10 11:33

This is in no way an appropriate position for a super market. It is a residential area of great history in Epsom.

2016-01-14 19:19

It is a ludicrous deveopment firstly we do not need another supermarket in Epsom, secondly to site it in a residential area defies logic. The owners or managers of Aldi or the Epsom Borough Council would not want delivery vehicles trying to drive through small roads with parked cars if they lived here so why ignore or even help to destroy people's living environment purely to grab some commercial money. The bait of some badly thought through living accommodation is also hardly what Epsom would aspire for their residents. Nobody believes this is real progress and the borough should be protecting the residents from this unwanted invasion..

2016-01-14 19:29

I want to save the shop in Church Road.
I do not want anything to make the traffic even worse along Church Road and Grove Road.
The development would not bring visitors to Upper High Street as it would be too far away.

2016-01-14 19:37

The area affected by this cloak and dagger application is quietly residential. Young families, elderly folk and council tax payers live here and to have huge lorries continuously pounding through these small roads will inevitably destroy the character and community. The decision makers should take a step back and re-think this pitiful development. The main road into Epsom is continuously busy leading to the trading estate, so why not put Aldi's in there where a business is designed to operate, not in the middle of quiet residential area.

2016-01-15 16:55

Incursion into residential areas should be curbed, use brownfield sites elsewhere

2016-01-15 16:57

Homes are needed not supermarkets taking over our towns

2016-01-15 18:16

Because I try to support British stores and Housing is currently more important . There are plenty of existing stores of this type within the area too.

2016-01-15 18:55

I signed this petition as it expresses my views and seems a good way to get them voiced.

2016-01-20 20:52

• This site is already designated as suitable for housing development, not for commercial development
• The Fiveways junction was highlighted as major issue/obstacle for allowing proper access to a housing development. It would be far worse for a supermarket development.
• Other sites in Mill Road (builders merchant + land by railway) are also designated as suitable sites for housing and their use for housing would become less likely
• The site is adjacent to Pike’s Hill conservation area. A supermarket would adversely impact the character of the area, changing and dominating the landscape of what is currently a largely residential area.
• It would create unacceptable increases in traffic and noise around the Fiveways junction, and in local roads. A supermarket presence would extend the bottleneck throughout the day and evening, causing noise and pollution to residents.

2016-01-22 13:09

My main objection is to the unacceptable likelihood of a great increase in traffic to a quiet, historical, residential area in Epsom. There are sufficient supermarkets and food shops in this area - the proposed site for Aldi is very close to a co op, a corner store and not least a large Sainsburys.  I would like to see a community hall of some kind as I am not aware of anything like this in Central Epsom.

2016-01-24 10:45

The site is much better suited to residential development which is needed and will not have the damaging impact on a dangerous and busy junction, on parking and upon loss of community shop. It will not enhance the appearance of the area. There is no need for an additional supermarket as there are many options available throughout Epsom and in nearby Kiln Lane.