Elba Ground rent campaign

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Elba Ground rent campaign.

2014-06-17 13:08

Taffy was a Welshman
Taffy was a Thief
Taffy came to my House
And stole a decent Lease.

2014-06-17 13:20

Excellent Meeting held on Mon. at Rugby Club.with all views given.Tremendous unity shown by all Residents and Supporters with a positive commitment to approach problem first on the basis of discussion with the Council with other later options identified
if discussion fails.
Blossom

#53 Re: Gowerton grund rent fiasco

2014-06-18 08:07

#49: -  

Blossom

#54 Gowerton ground rent fiasco

2014-06-18 08:19

I attended the meeting at Gowerton on Mon 16th June -with respect to the invited speakers I didn't find their contribution very helpful Cllr Richards blamed everybody but the milkman for the situation and got into a hissy fit and lost the plot and respect of the residents by arguing with one of the invited speakers.Swansea City Council sent out the extortionate demands and they are responsible for the situation NOW - a matter as important and as life changing as a massive hike in ground rent was deemed reasonable to be a delegated decision by officers. I cannot accept that Cabinet members were totally unaware of the action and inevitable consequences

#55 Re:

2014-06-18 08:21

#51: -  

#56 Gowerton lease

2014-06-18 08:23

To the PC crowd this ditty would be deemed racist - at least the Welsh can take a joke!!!

#57 Re:

2014-06-18 09:57

#52: -  

Agree. Would urge everyone to take the advice we were given and reject the proposed rate individually, moving then to collectively negotiate. The Council will not want to go through a long and costly legal process any more than we will want to. I was encouraged by the meeting and feel more positive that we will achieve a workable outcome.

2014-06-18 16:13

Swansea Council have failed in their 'DUTY OF CARE TO THEIR TENANTS'. The Rent Review of 'evil' Intent. the council team, that evaluated the 2014 rates did so, knowing full well the draconian 5000+% increase, will become impossible for many to meet yearly, while being impossible to sell the properties, leaving them between a rock and a hard face. This is perpetuated against the Labour Parties very own core voters, going back generations. It beggars belief,while flying in the face of Red Ed's claim of bringing the party back to it grass roots. "The Party of the people".

They proved they could not be trusted while in government, and their councils are now proving they can't be trusted in local government.

Remember, this is election year, and they are looking for 'Tax Raising Powers', please DON'T TRUST THEM EVER AGAIN, AND VOTE NO, or you may be next.
Nicki Ffordd butler

#59 Twitter

2014-06-18 20:00

Peter Lynn ptnrs on twitter has announced they are representing the residents- is that true? I've not received anything from the committee yet, not even the names of who is on there!

2014-06-19 21:48

They have gagged the Councillors, and Mr Stewart, who told us at the meeting to negotiate with him, he is never available, leaving your number is a waste of time, he never calls back. I believe, this is a deliberate orchestrated time wasting exercise, designed to keep us 'hoping' that decency and common sense will prevail; it will not, in the meantime, our time is running out, we are not going to be allowed to go on and on. Within the next 10 weeks or so, we will be given an ultimatum, pay up or face the consequences.

'IF' this had been a tory council, the labour party would have been screaming from the rooftops, there would have been demonstrations and protest marches in the streets, the BBC Wales and the Welsh press, would be supporting us 100%, as it is a labour council, they are mute. What little has been published is lame, and frankly, pathetic.

This post has been removed by its writer (Show details)

2014-06-22 15:04

2014-06-22 15:05

Robbing Peter to pay Paul scenario?
Huw

#63 Owner

2014-06-22 23:09

I own number 27 Clos Tygwyn but have a really great tennant there. I haven't received a letter stating the changes for the ground rent yet but I stand by everyone here regardless. It's a travesty and needs to be stopped.

2014-06-24 14:55

This petition is vital. I have been phoning to speak to Mr Rob Stewart,every day for the last week, following the residents meeting. Mr Stewart is never available, and leaving my phone number failed to receive a reply. Conclusion, there is a deadline, that we have not been informed of, and Swansea council are dragging their feet.
The labour Councillors have been gagged, they are not allowed to speak out or support their Swansea citizens. even though most of them, and generations before them have always supported the Swansea labour party..

"For evil to prosper, all it takes is for good men to do nothing"

This is a commercial Lease, designed for the likes of Tesco, M&S, Debenham's, etc., not for a rural residential estate, in Wales, but never the less legal. The Welsh Assembly are looking for our vote, giving them 'Tax Raising Powers', this money grab by the Labour controlled Swansea Council, should warn every one living in Wales, the labour party are not to be trusted. They will be increasing tax for pet projects at the drop of a hat.
In light of the Gowerton Elba estate, Please sign the Welsh Assembly e-petition, calling on the Walsh Assembly, to debate imposing a cap on all future Leases of this kind. It seems their are many more estates in Swansea facing the same situation, so their must be many more across Wales.

2014-06-24 20:43

My ground rent has gone from £50.00 per year to £599.00. Totally rediculous! I am signing this gladly and hope something can be done for everyone!

2014-06-25 19:19

My ground rent has gone from £50.00 per year to £1230. Even more rediculous!
David vs Goliath!

2014-07-03 17:35

The actions of Swansea City Council towards the residents of the Elba estate are sickening and totally immoral. How can the average householder afford such an incredulous leap in ground rent?! We as residents have to stand united against the Council who so obviously don't care about the welfAre of the average householder.

#68 Re: David versus Goliath

2014-07-03 17:50

Absolutely agree!

2014-07-05 08:36

This should if been dealt with years ago not now do it should be scrapped from then and now make sure it is correctly done and applied