Make sheppey bridge safe to cross

Quoted post

Professional Driver

2014-07-02 00:30

Such a tragic loss of life. However, lets get this straight. There is nothing wrong with the bridge. I drive over it every week day in my lorry, and never once has the bridge tried to make me crash. It's never swayed from side to side, or jumped up and down. That leaves the people that use it. There are calls for the bridge to have lights installed. Maybe, but you do have headlights on your car, and this accident was in daylight. A speed restriction maybe. Well to the person moaning about lorries, I would be going over the bridge at the same speed as I do now, 50! Warning signs. Not a bad idea. Although, by the time they are activated, it's usually too late. And referring back to the big pile up in the fog, if you need a sign to tell you it's foggy, then maybe you shouldn't be driving!! A hard shoulder? Unless you reduce the road to a single lane, this is impossible! I have a couple of suggestions. Drive more carefully. Concentrate on what you are doing (for those that don't know, that's driving) Get off your bloody mobiles ( I followed a woman past the accident today, who was texting. apart from, strangely, when she went past the Police) Take those bloody ear phones out, and stop scanning through your ipad. So lets wait till we know the full facts of the accident before we condemn the Sheppey Crossing, which, after all, is just sitting there, being a bridge.

Replies

mo

#203 Re:

2014-07-02 09:26:34

#127: Professional Driver -

Problem with the crossing is there's nowhere safe if your unlucky and break down on the upward slope this is clearly what happened to the poor mum and her children. Unfortunately people still use mobile phones and don't pay attention to whats happening in front of them, I do agree with you on that point. The old bridge was only a issue when the bridge was lifted so there's no reason why there can't be a safety lane while on the crossing don't think it would cause any problem's with traffic jams.

1965driver

#217 Re:

2014-07-02 10:08:51

Well said that man. some very valid points. It's a sad day for many but as you say, no point jumping the gun. Most acccidents are caused by drivers, not the conditions....OK, the bridge maybe lacking in a few areas but it still ok to use if you drive carefully.

This post has been removed by its writer (Show details)

2014-07-02 13:21:16

#324 Re:

2014-07-03 20:26:29

I agree, Its not the Bridge itself but the Motorists who use it, Personally  do not like using that Bridge mainly because of the Hight, Strange as when I cross the QE2 Bridge I am okay,

Grumpy

#331 Re:

2014-07-04 11:09:58

This is the most sensible post so far. If all drivers concentrated on the job in hand and left everything else until they stopped,all our roads would be much safer, not just the Sheppey Crossing.