Save Raigmore Maternity Beds

Disgruntled mum of 3

/ #133

2011-06-21 08:10

I think this is ridiculous. I recently had a baby on 11th May, and the maternity ward was turning lots of women away because they were so busy. How can reducing the number of beds possibly help?? And as for the six hour turnaround, that's all very well, but what about all those first time mums out there who are unsure of themselves?? Or those without a good support network?? Being turfed out of hospital 6 hours after giving birth is not going to be of benefit.

It would be an absolute to sin to lose any of the wonderful midwives who have helped so many women and children. Without them, many of us could have had some nasty complications, and have gone home feeling unsure of ourselves and lacking in confidence and ability to care for our newborns. Reducing the number of beds can only mean losing staff and we cannot allow this to happen.

In January 2006, I had my first child, I suffered alot of damage, and was in hospital for 1 week. I could not have felt confident enough to return home as a single mother without the help and advice given to me whilst in hospital.

In April 2008, I had my second child. I went home after 2 days as the maternity ward was really busy, but ended up back in the childrens ward as my baby had severe feeding difficulties. Midwives were again fantastic and provided the support to allow me to feel confident in caring for my baby.

In May this year, I had my 3rd baby. I was due to go into hospital on the 8th to be induced on the 9th, but they were to busy and phoned to tell me to come in a day later. Once there, they still couldn't start my labour, as they were too busy and under staffed. Women were being called and told not to come in because there was NO SPACE for them. I again stayed in for 2 days, and even as a third time mum, I appreciated the advice given by staff and reminders of some of the simple points of caring for a newborn.

Considering the fact that this hospital serves such a vast region, I don't think this option should even have been a thought. Like many of you have stated, who has thought about the women who have to travel from way up north to their "local" maternity/labour ward?? And those who have to come to the mainland from the islands??

It would appear that this is a poorly thought out, half-hashed idea to cut costs. But I'll bet someone still gets a payrise out of it!!!

All in all, I think it's fair to say that this whole affair is simply appauling!